JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Yes, I know that's a click-bait title, but that 's what I was told last weekend.

I did some shooting with friends. There was an AR pistol present and I mentioned to one friend that I thought that particular gun wasn't very practical, more of a "range toy". He replied with a very sincere question, asking what the practical value of any AR was.

Before you call him a Fudd, realize that he's about as country, redneck, hardcore 2A, hunting fool as they come. He wasn't implying that he supported any form of ban in any way, just that from his perspective as a hunter he didn't see any value in them at all. He kind of shrugged off the home defense and "armed citizen" arguments. He doesn't even care much for recreational shooting, so if it's not a levergun or scoped bolt action, he's not much interested.

I thought this might be an interesting topic, because there are millions like him out there; family, friends, neighbors. They're on our side to one degree or another in principle, but not really into it because it doesn't really affect them, and they don't really understand it. I think "gun people" often make the mistake that because someone else is a gun owner that they'll understand the fight and be on our side.

I hear there's a lot of inbreeding out there in bumpkin' land, exacerbated by chewin' tobacco, drinkin' moonshine condensed through a lead soldered worm, and questionable tastes in music....that might explain some of it.

BAF09116-2A64-49A0-8B10-6396442F433F.gif

:rolleyes::D

I think "gun people" often make the mistake that because someone else is a gun owner that they'll understand the fight and be on our side.

Know exactly what you're talking about. I know some gun owners that wouldn't get upset until they come for their shotguns.

I knew a blackpowder guy like that.
Enjoyed firearms but saw no use for modern sporting rifles.

Lots of gun owners, but not a whole lot of "gun people".

Yep, kinda like another group of gun owners (That I will not quote at this moment) that knows what is what but still vote for the enemy....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The plus is the gun owners that you mentioned can be reasoned with.

Ya, I used to be like your friend, until I got my first Fal 20 yrs ago. It was kind of a gateway drug. Now I have hunted and killed deer with most of the deer appropriate chamberings offered in the AR and enjoy shooting many styles of weapons. Always good to keep an open mind.

I'm gonna go with Fudd.

I've met a lot of hard core 2nd amendment types that will gladly give up certain things because they are of no value to them.

IE the bumpstock.

So what is the answer? Some people are ignorant of firearms. Some are easily swayed by the type of rag I read the funny's in each morning, or the talking heads on TV. Some are just live in fear due to previous circumstances in their lives.:(

I think it can be partially explained by the saying,
"An anti-gun Liberal is someone that hasn't been robbed, or mugged yet." :rolleyes:

The AR15 , in 5.56* , isn't very practical as a bear rifle...not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice.
So what is your point...? Some may ask...

"Practical" depends on usage and personal perspective...is my point.
Many folks would consider the firearms of my choice as not very practical...but then I couldn't shoot a AR15 at rendezvous...so again usage...the AR15 is not practical for me at that time and place.

That said my AR15 Carbine is lightweight and accurate , easy and cheap to shoot ...those qualities are very practical...if I want a fun "modern" rifle to shoot , go varmint hunting with , have plenty of options to customize , even use as a defensive rifle ...its very practical indeed.

Luckily we are not restricted in likes or dislikes in firearms...there is no rule that says you must only own "practical"
( whatever that means... ) firearms.
Own what you want , shoot safely , don't look down at other peoples firearm choices....should be simple.
Andy
*Edit to add a very common caliber that the AR15 is chambered in ....Just to keep folks from sayin' "Yeah but it can be chambered in_____ . "
Oh wait , that won't stop 'em either...sigh

An AR-15 isn't practical for keeping an Alaskan brownie from eating you. It also isn't practical for shooting snakes or hunting ducks or geese. It depends on the application. I think it's excellent for self defense and keeping Tyrants from no step on snek.

It's all about the application.

Last Edited:
The AR15 isn't very practical as a bear rifle...not that it wouldn't work , but it wouldn't be my first choice.
So what is your point...? Some may ask...

"Practical" depends on usage and personal perspective...is my point.
Many folks would consider the firearms of my choice as not very practical...but then I couldn't shoot a AR15 at rendezvous...so again usage...the AR15 is not practical for me at that time and place.

That said my AR15 Carbine is lightweight and accurate , easy and cheap to shoot ...those qualities are very practical...if I want a fun "modern" rifle to shoot , go varmint hunting with , have plenty of options to customize , even use as a defensive rifle ...its very practical indeed.

Luckily we are not restricted in likes or dislikes in firearms...there is no rule that says you must only own "practical"
( whatever that means... ) firearms.
Own what you want , shoot safely , don't look down at other peoples firearm choices....should be simple.
Andy

Too funny - I was writing mine as you were writing yours...

Turn it back on him, that the 2A only protects weapons in "common militia use" according to Miller, and thus his preferred instrument of Wildlife Mass Murder is not protected.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads