JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So last summer I took apart about 150 random cartridges that I had picked up on the ranges here and there over the last few years. People drop a lot of loaded ammo it's weird. I find it all the time.

Anything small primer is game for this little experiment. I was wondering what to do with them all and I finally decided I'm going to put them all in a light 38 load with 4.2 grains of Red Dot and a 105 grain lead powder coated bullet and see how they shoot. I feel like I'm pretty safe shooting them out of my SP101 .357.

So it's random primers like everything from small rifle to small pistol and everything in between all brands, plus random brass that I have picked up over the years. It's a serious mixed bag. The only thing that will be consistent is the weight of the bullet and the powder charge. It will be interesting to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of them at 21 yards and compare them to 50 or 100 rounds of matched cases with matched primers and the same powder charge. I'm even going to break out my chronograph for this one. I'm really curious what the standard deviation will be.

Honestly, from what I have observed over the years with 38 Special I'm not expecting a heck of a lot of difference between the carefully loaded handloads with the same components and brass. Anybody else got any predictions? My poor ruger. She always gets the worst of the tests. Stout gun it really is built like a tank.

Although not exactly related to your test parameters, table III in this image shows the effect of various primers in a specific .308/7.62 load, shot out of a .308 SAAMI test barrel. Breech pressure was directly measured, and not calculated. Posting only as an example of the differences in large rifle primers.
wFB8Lul.jpg

You should be fine, the primers will either go off or not, the only issue might be that the rifle primers generally require a harder hammer strike to get them to go off. If you haven't lightened your hammer spring on you test fixture you should be good to go.

You should be fine, the primers will either go off or not, the only issue might be that the rifle primers generally require a harder hammer strike to get them to go off. If you haven't lightened your hammer spring on you test fixture you should be good to go.
I don't mess with hammer Springs or Sears. It's got a good solid strike I think I'm good to go there. I need to find my crony though. I haven't used it in years I can't remember where it's at :p .

I'm guessing accuracy will be fine out of a pistol at that range. May not be able to tell the difference.

As mentioned I'm curious to see what the chrony says. Sadly, you won't know what type of primers are causing fluctuations if any.

I'm guessing accuracy will be fine out of a pistol at that range. May not be able to tell the difference.

As mentioned I'm curious to see what the chrony says. Sadly, you won't know what type of primers are causing fluctuations if any.
It's pretty much all of them haha:p. Some of them came out of reloads and some of them came out of factory ammo it's a real Heinz 57. About the only ones I can positively identify our S&B because of the unique color. I think it will be interesting to compare them against something that has the same primers and the same brass. I'm hoping to see some consistent standard deviations across 10 shot strings. I have 130 of the random ones so we should be able to get a pretty good idea.

We are going to have to put this on hold for a while boys, I got sent on a per diem job in BFE for the next month. I found out on Sunday😬. God I do love living out of a duffle bag in a motel room...not👎. I promise I will get to it first chance I get.

One issue I've found when re-seating primers is fit. Depending upon the cartridge brass used, the primer brand and type, they might not fit tightly the second time around. I hate loose primers. They are a recipe for hot plasma burn scars on the breech face. Like the recoil plate on a revolver. When you seat them with a hand primer, you get a good feel if they are seating okay or not. If I get one or some that go in too easy, I set them aside. Then I go back around and decap these. I won't use them out of caution.

One issue I've found when re-seating primers is fit. Depending upon the cartridge brass used, the primer brand and type, they might not fit tightly the second time around. I hate loose primers. They are a recipe for hot plasma burn scars on the breech face. Like the recoil plate on a revolver. When you seat them with a hand primer, you get a good feel if they are seating okay or not. If I get one or some that go in too easy, I set them aside. Then I go back around and decap these. I won't use them out of caution.
These actually seated quite well. My biggest challenge right now is getting out to my storage to pick up my crony. I'm working out of town about 150 miles the wrong direction:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top