JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Felony - this is a big deal. Likely to be a longish trial. Of course the Civil cases will follow.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/0...follow-tesla-drivers-autopilot-red-light-run/

According to reports, the Tesla Model S owned by Kevin Riad exited I-91, failed to stop at a red light, and then collided with a Honda Civic, killing both of that car's occupants,

NHTSA added that all state laws hold human drivers responsible for operation of their vehicles.

Felony - this is a big deal. Likely to be a longish trial. Of course the Civil cases will follow.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/0...follow-tesla-drivers-autopilot-red-light-run/

According to reports, the Tesla Model S owned by Kevin Riad exited I-91, failed to stop at a red light, and then collided with a Honda Civic, killing both of that car's occupants,

NHTSA added that all state laws hold human drivers responsible for operation of their vehicles.
No good can ever come from automation of driving a motor vehicle on public roads! I have often said throughout my own driving experience that most drivers do not take driving serious, or near serious enough! Add to that, all of the electronic gadgets and gizmos, and other distractions like texting and drinking coffee or something and your setting yourself up for something really bad!
Years ago, there was some young yuppy who hade made a bunch of money and in celebration, went out and bought himself a brand new Porsche 911 something, really hot car, far more then a 20 something with only a few years experience should be driving, and he decided to see how fast he could go while his girlfriend rode along, apparently he decided he didn't like the song blaring from the blaupunkt and reached over to turn the dial, and crashed his ride into a family stopped to make a left turn, fire, and smoke and parts of awesome German engineering flew all over the scene, and when it all finally came to a stop, there were several dead and seriously injured, including this guy's girl friend, but he survived with only some scratches and a few bumps!

How would you like the live the rest of your life knowing that your stupidity cost several innocent people their lives, all because you didn't like listening to a stupid 80's pop song in your smokin hot sport car while driving well outside your abilities and the conditions!

Same thing here with this self driving, super lazy, self important crap, drive like your life depends on it, drive like every other idiot on the road is out to hit you, and you might just be ok!

I've often wondered about this sort of thing. I've read about these new Teslas where you just step out of a store or whatever, push a button, and your car drives itself from wherever it's parked to you. A friend of mine was telling me how inpressed he was when he saw his brother's new Tesla do this when his brother picked him up at the airport recently. I thought that's not going to seem so great the first time one runs over somebody's kid.

I really wish they'd keep this autonomous beta crap out of driver's hands. It's a fools pipe dream. No matter what, the "driver" will always be responsible, legally.

I work for the DOT, we've been doing pilot programs for nearly a decade now with autonomous manufacturers (they want access to our traffic signals).
So many people getting excited about autonomous driving. It ain't happening in most of our lifetime.
For a vehicle without a steering wheel and pedals, you need:
-perfectly maintained roads with consistent markings that are always clear
-perfect mapping, maybe even nearly real-time 3D mapping someday
-consistent ways of performing road construction and real-time notification to autonomous systems of road closures, lane shifting, construction zones etc
-how to handle street parking? physically possible, but how does the car know it shouldn't park somewhere?
-most manufacturers are giving up on LIDAR and moving to video based self driving. Cars won't be going anywhere in bad weather that obscures road markings.
-everywhere in the country will need to comply if these cars are to be used anywhere. This will balloon transportation budgets everywhere.

We have studies that compare a distracted driver to a drunk driver. Do we have one that shows how inattentive people can become when they are no longer actively driving, but doing so passively, just watching things unfold in front of them? How much longer does it take a human to recognize that they need to intervene, determine what to do, and execute when they are in a passive state? It seems to me this would be one of the first test scenarios written by any competent engineering team. It also seems to me that the answer would be scary.

1) F**k California
2) I think the defense is going to have a good position if they can show that the occupants were observing the vehicle's operation guidelines and that the onus rests on the maturity of the technology, as well as any government approval of autonomous vehicles being on the roads and sold as a feature.
3) Tesla is gonna get SUED.
Bonus
4) It could be argued that anyone driving a Honda Civic as a primary car is probably better off dead.

1) F**k California
2) I think the defense is going to have a good position if they can show that the occupants were observing the vehicle's operation guidelines and that the onus rests on the maturity of the technology, as well as any government approval of autonomous vehicles being on the roads and sold as a feature.
3) Tesla is gonna get SUED.
Bonus
4) It could be argued that anyone driving a Honda Civic as a primary car is probably better off dead.
Does #4 apply to my wife who drives a Corolla?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top