JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a picture of my friend and neighbor's 53 LB. Striper caught here on the Cumberland River in Tennessee.
03 Carls 53 Lb. Striper May 14, 2018.jpg

My mind was definitely in the gutter. I read the title, clicked, and was disappointed to see a thread about fish.

That's not gonna fit on the BBQ !!

It would if it was a 50gal drum cut lengthwise. Those work great with real briquettes. BTW, way back in the late 70s I was stationed at USCG Air Station Elizabeth City NC. They had stripers in the Pasquotank River, but alas I never caught one. I did catch several 40lb Bluefish off the beach... that was a blast! And I caught a 10lb Largemouth Bass one morning before reporting in. Great for Bluegill too. But the moral locker had a 500gal drum that they made into a longitudinal bbq... we would celebrate Coast Guard Day Aug 4th with a pig and a goat on that big bbq and $0.10 Stroh's beers. Smashed and fed for a buck. Goot times!!!

Striped bass hit like a ton of bricks and pull hard, at lest the salt water ones do.

AFAIK the freshies do too. They have them in the Sacramento River and in Oregon it's what... Wilson or Trask?

My Uncle used to bring in big stripers Though I'm not suer
where either the mouth area of the Umpqua or off shore but the family would gather in Winston Or for a canning. they were filleted and packed tight into mason jars then heated in the oven to seal. We had good eats year round. I loves the stuff as a tuna replacement but also a great back packer snack with hard tack and cheese

The biggest one I ever got was 8.5 lbs, trolling for kind salmon about 3-4 miles outside the golden gate, I thought I hooked a huge king, until I got him closer to the boat and the skipper yelled out "that's a bass" so I tightened up the drag and hauled him in. Somehow he managed to hook himself good through the upper and lower lip with a twist. Took a minute with pliers to get out that barbless hook.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top