JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SMALL MOUTH BASS 1.JPG
Tennessee Small Mouth Large_Mouth_10-10-10_002.jpg
Tennessee Large Mouth

Last Edited:
I always like catching bass with a white popper on a fly rod. The popper resembled a cabbage butterfly. Drove the bass and blue gills crazy in the summer months.

Bucketmouth... the fish, not the wife. o_O

Uh, Tenmile Lake, Florence, ???

:s0112:

That quality large mouth can be had in any of the larger lakes in that area. It's not all that easy for a novice basser though. Those lakes look like there should be bass EVERYWHERE! It's tough if your not real tuned in to where they hang. We just play around and once in a while get lucky. Just casting and working all those weed lines and wood is exciting though.

I've never fished for Bass. Maybe someday. I grew up fishing for Walleye and Northern Pike in NW Minnesota. We moved to WA just before the Trout season started and all the kids were excited. I asked how big they had to be to be Keepers. They said 6" and I just wanted to cry. The day before we left MN we had been fishing for Northerns using 9" Suckers!!! Now that was FISHING.:):):)

As they say "The worst day fishing, is better than the best day working!!!"

:s0112:

That quality large mouth can be had in any of the larger lakes in that area. It's not all that easy for a novice basser though. Those lakes look like there should be bass EVERYWHERE! It's tough if your not real tuned in to where they hang. We just play around and once in a while get lucky. Just casting and working all those weed lines and wood is exciting though.

Bass fishing is my passion! When I moved here from San Diego, I was glad to find out that there was both largemouth and smallmouth bass to be had as well as the bird hunting and big game hunting. It's a friggin paradise for outdoors lovers! I had to learn to fish for smallmouth but caught on to lake patterns for smallies quickly. Years later, I learned about fishing rivers for smallies in the Umpqua in my drift boat. But at that time I was living in Brookings and enjoying the salmon and steelhead fishing, as well as the bottom fishing the area provides. I was Jonesing for some bass fishing and went to Tenmile Lakes... never did figure it out. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Bass fishing is my passion! When I moved here from San Diego, I was glad to find out that there was both largemouth and smallmouth bass to be had as well as the bird hunting and big game hunting. It's a friggin paradise for outdoors lovers! I had to learn to fish for smallmouth but caught on to lake patterns for smallies quickly. Years later, I learned about fishing rivers for smallies in the Umpqua in my drift boat. But at that time I was living in Brookings and enjoying the salmon and steelhead fishing, as well as the bottom fishing the area provides. I was Jonesing for some bass fishing and went to Tenmile Lakes... never did figure it out. :rolleyes:

Living in the big sh!!ty, PDX, I'm close to the Willamette. Some fine smallies to be had here below the falls. In the spring when the water hits and stays at 53 is when I started fishing. But wouldn't you know it? Large mouth are what really turn me on! That big belly, short stocky body, HUGE lower lip! I don't know, maybe if I grew up on largemouth it would be smallies that turn me?

True story time.

I've never seen a small mouth take a 6" hooked, stunned live perch, off the surface. Two feet from the hull of the boat. Wifey was waiting for me to come back and remove the small perch for her. Before I turned to go to the back of the boat to release it I hear "BOOOOSSHH", and we're both splashed with lake water. A large mouth had slammed the perch that was floating patiently and missed. She left the perch floating there. About ten seconds the bass appears just under the surface and under the perch. I had a bad angle, but Jane saw it clearly and described it as the bass backed up slightly, dropped its tail deeper and slammed that perch again. This time he got it. Jane's perch rod's tip hit the water as the rod doubled. Then, "PING"! The #4 hook, line and sinker came back, but the perch and the worm on the hook were gone! Sure wish I had pictures from that.

I've never fished for Bass. Maybe someday. I grew up fishing for Walleye and Northern Pike in NW Minnesota. We moved to WA just before the Trout season started and all the kids were excited. I asked how big they had to be to be Keepers. They said 6" and I just wanted to cry. The day before we left MN we had been fishing for Northerns using 9" Suckers!!! Now that was FISHING.:):):)

As they say "The worst day fishing, is better than the best day working!!!"
Years ago a buddy and I took his friend that had just arrived from Michigan trout fishing. He'd fished pike and walleye before. We hiked 4-5 miles up Johns River outside Westport WA. Don decided to take a shortcut that we warned him against and got his 1st introduction to Devils Club. As soon as he got out of that he "found" a good sized Yellow Jackets nest and in escaping (most of them) got acquainted with a number of PNW blackberry thorns.
Shortly after all this I hooked a nice cutthroat and that was it for Don. "I hiked miles, got the **** stung out of me by bees, poked by every bush I looked at for that? That's not even big enough for bait!" Turned around and hiked back out. :D
We ended up getting some trout and a couple nice blue backs apiece.

Norwestr55; Many years ago I was lucky enough to hook into a 26lbs. White King Salmon out on the Straights. I was using a surf casting rod and spinning reel. Man that was Great sport. But it just wasn't nearly as much fun as a 5 or 6 pound Northern Pike.

True story time.

I've never seen a small mouth take a 6" hooked, stunned live perch, off the surface.

Great bass story! I have just the opposite... what used to be my fav lg bass, sm bass, and rainbow trout lake, Phillips Reservoir near Sumpter, was planted illegally with perch many years ago... it seems some people are nuts for perch fishing. But it ruined the rest of the fishing there. Today you can still catch some nice rainbow there but you gotta work hard to get one cast in one hundred past the perch. The largemouth bass are gone due to extreme drawdowns, and the smallies are repressed due to an illegal planting of walleye.

Note: smallies will take a bait on the surface... just well, a small one!

I think the most fun I've ever had fishing was for Blue Gills and Crappies. I was sitting in the middle of the boat with a 9' Fly Rod with 9' of line out. I started with a piece of corn on a very small hook. I dipped the line in the water and a Fish would almost instantly take the bait. I would lift the rod and pass the fish to my Dad. He would unhook the fish and by the time he dropped it into the wire basket I'd be pulling up another fish that I would direct to my Grandpa. Back and forth until both baskets were full. Back to the dock and cleaning time. My Grandpa was a magician with a knife when cleaning. Grandma was a magician when it came time to cook.

Wonderful childhood memories!!!:):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads