JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently relocated to Washington and I have a rifle I need to get out and one to bring in. My question is, does my current temporary driver's license permit me to accomplish these tasks? I would assume since they punched out my old license that the temporary license has all of the power of the new permanent one. I know how bureaucracy can be though, so it would not surprise me in the slightest if the temp is not sufficient to bring in a firearm. Anyone know? I could not find anything to that effect with my search.

Sorry, I did not figure I would have to be that specific. "Bringing in a firearm" typically means someone/some place from another state is shipping a firearm to you via FFL.

One -
You do not need a license to ship a long gun. You can do it via the Post Office if you wish.

Two
As long as your temp license has your correct address there is no issue as far as I am aware. Be aware that you will have to pay a "state use tax" equal to the local tax rate on the firearm when it is transferred to you by the FFL

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52/pub52.pdf
page 97, section 432.3 covers rifles. You may print a copy of the section and take it with you in case the clerk is ignorant.

You need a license if it the policy of the recipient's FFL to require a copy of one for non-FFL incoming transfers (very common). If the recipient's FFL does not accept shipments from non-FFLs period, then one would be required at the FFL you choose to transfer(ship) the rifle from.

So yes, there are instances when a valid license is required to ship a rifle. I initiated a trade during a move/career change. Just bad timing but I am doing my best to minimize the time it takes to complete the transaction.

My question was specific, and I have not answered it with any of my replies. Thanks though, hopefully someone knows.

WA is satisfied you are you and issued you a WA driver's/identity license.
Kittrell, You are not a Federal Firearms Licensee "FFL"
"I have a rifle I need to get out" (of state)
ATF answers
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual (Kittrell) is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully
transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a
Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient's State of residence. He or she may then
receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background
check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and
<broken link removed>

For this discussion, Buddy is in Reno, NV. Buddy chooses a Reno FFL Licensee Kittrell is to send the rifle to.
Kittrell sends his unloaded, well packaged rifle by USPS to the FFL Licensee in Reno NV.
Reno FFL Licensee receives Kittrell's rifle into his Firearms Transaction bound book.
Buddy goes to the Reno FFL Licensee, completes form 4473, completes background check,
pays transaction fee to Reno FFL Licensee, takes possession of his new (to him) rifle.

For this discussion, Kittrell chooses a WA FFL Licensee Buddy is to send his rifle to.
Buddy sends his unloaded, well packaged rifle by USPS to the FFL Licensee in WA.
WA FFL Licensee receives Buddy's rifle into his Firearms Transaction bound book.
Kittrell goes to the WA FFL Licensee, completes form 4473, completes background check,
pays transaction fee to WA FFL Licensee, takes possession of his new (to him) rifle.

FFL's aren't obligated to perform this service.
Kittrell and Buddy should get buy-in from both FFL Licensees BEFORE mailing.

Regards
Rick

I think you over-thought that, Rick. At no time did I say or imply that I was an FFL. Again, no one has yet to answer the question. Does a Washington State Temporary Driver's License constitute a valid ID to receive a rifle via FFL or transfer one out via FFL. In California, it does not. Maybe a poor example, but it does leave doubt.

1. Can I use a temporary license as identification for firearm purchases?
    • No. Neither temporary driver's licenses nor temporary identification cards are acceptable forms of proof of identity and age.

(Pen. Code, § 16400.)

Yea, that will be at the shops discretion.

Are you legal? Yes, absolutely.

Will some businesses refuse to honor your ID? That's possible.

Temps are much easier to forge.

Best bet is to call the shop you will be using like someone else mentioned. They will be the end all on if they will accept it or not.

I did not have a specific one in mind yet. I know every FFL sets their own policy on some things. I was more or less asking if this was a state restriction. Thanks for the replies.

I think you over-thought that, Rick. At no time did I say or imply that I was an FFL. Again, no one has yet to answer the question. Does a Washington State Temporary Driver's License constitute a valid ID to receive a rifle via FFL or transfer one out via FFL. In California, it does not. Maybe a poor example, but it does leave doubt.

1. Can I use a temporary license as identification for firearm purchases?
    • No. Neither temporary driver's licenses nor temporary identification cards are acceptable forms of proof of identity and age.

(Pen. Code, § 16400.)
Kitt
I hope you are able to complete the trade with Buddy.
Rick
Out

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top