Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

TCGC Vintage Military Rifle Matches

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by Ironbar, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here who's a TCGC member who participates in these? From the looks of past matches, they seem to draw fewer than a dozen shooters. I'd love to shoot in one, but I'd need a sponsoring member to get me in to it. Anyone interested in doing one with me?

ocarolan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ironbar

P.S. I shoot M1 Garand, SKS, and Mosin Nagant.

3. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Hmmm, sounds like fun. I'd be interested, too.

4. 415DET

415DET Hillsboro Oregon Member

I am a TCGC member and a regular shooter in these matches, they are a great time! The next match is this Saturday but my attendance is questionable due to a high power match at another club. This Saturday's match is the 40 round match with 20 slow prone and 20 slow standing with 5 sighters. Bring any vintage rifle and 45 rounds of ammo and you will be good to go. As far as a "sponsoring member", I doubt you will need one to get in. Contact Frank Burke via the TCGC website just to be sure, he is the match director. For other questions, feel free to send me a PM and I can help out, we always welcome new shooters!

Ted...

5. Ironbar

Ted,

Perhaps "sponsoring member" was a poor choice of words. At any rate, this is what Richard Cavalli sent me via e-mail when I inquired about shooting in the VMR matches:

"TCGC is a private Club, and in general only members and their guests shoot here. If you have a friend who is a member and is willing to host you, they can let you know when the matches are and accompany you here."

So, there you have it. Any ideas?

6. Lange22250

Lange22250 Milwaukie Active Member

If you want to just come to TCGC and use the range you must either be a member or guest of a member.

If you want to compete in a match contact the match director and they will give you the gate code for that match and you are good to go. You don't need to be a member or a guest to compete in a match.

7. Ironbar

Lange,

Thank you! I was under the impression that this was the case. I'll get a hold of Frank Burke as 415DET suggested.

Now that's out of the way, anyone interested in going?

8. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

gaijinsamurai likes this.
  9. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I met Frank through another forum and he invited me to the May 25th match. My first 'match' ever. Fun and learning experience for me. And hard work - I got to work the pits :)

It's shot at 200 yards with 5V targets. I went to have fun, which I did, as I've never done competition before and had to figure out my prone, sitting and standing techniques on the fly. Also, one of the kind members loaned me a mat and spotting scope. If you shoot these regularly, you'll want a mat and scope. I'll definitely go back and intend to get more serious about the competition aspect of it.

10. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Anyone have a match schedule for 2014?
    I've wanted to participate for a long time, but it is difficult to get weekends off from work. I might be able to do one this month, if something is taking place.

11. 415DET

dietrich and gaijinsamurai like this.
  12. ron

Check out DRRC 'Service Rifle' Matches. They have M-1 rifles to loan. G.I. Ball ammo
    cheap. Also they loan you a matt and spotting scope. Great fun. Friendly group
    of guys and gals. No excuses now get out there and SHOOT.
    http://www.douglasridge.org/cmp.html

13. gaijinsamurai

Thanks, Ted & Ron!
    I've participated in the Douglas Ridge matches, and they were a lot of fun.

14. gaijinsamurai

I couldn't find anything on the Tricounty site about which types of rifles will be on 4/26, and as I remember it, each match was dedicated to a different type of weapon.

15. 415DET

Gaijin,

Bring whatever rifle you have. Tri-County does have monthly "themes" for each match, but is not required to bring that type of rifle. Folks bring out all kinds of cool stuff to shoot, it is like a gun show and match in the same day. I either bring my M1 or my 1903 to every match. The idea is to bring out those old war horses and see what they can do and have some fun doing it. The 80 round matches (4th Saturday) are a bit more of a challenge because you have two rapid fires stages, prone and seated, but it is great time no matter what. I agree with Ron, get out there and shoot!!

16. gaijinsamurai

Thanks! I'll plan on bringing a 1903A3, Swede Mauser, and an Enfield. Of course, I know I will end up shooting just one of them.
    I just submitted a request to have 4/26 off from work, and hopefully, it will be approved!

17. Ken Todd

Ken Todd Bend, Oregon Member

TCGC Vintage Matches rifle of the month "themes" for 2014 matches on the 4th saturday of the month:

April: Cold War Soviet
    May: Foreign Semi-Auto
    June: Allies
    July: Korean/Vietnam War
    August: World War 1
    September: Sniper Rifle
    October: 100 years old or more

For more:
    http://oldrustyguns.blogspot.com/

18. gaijinsamurai

I've got an unfired 1955 Ishevsk SKS. Maybe I'll bring it and pop its cherry.

19. gaijinsamurai

Does anyone know if participants need to contact Tricounty and register prior to the match, or do participants just show up on match day and pay the fee?

20. ron

You can contact Frank for the gate code. Other than that you just show up