JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm almost 100% sure with rimfire steel you come to the line with your pistol cased, load and make ready, shoot from a low ready (thus no holster needed or allowed), and that when you are finished with your string you recase the pistol.

I'm almost 100% sure with rimfire steel you come to the line with your pistol cased, load and make ready, shoot from a low ready (thus no holster needed or allowed), and that when you are finished with your string you recase the pistol.

This is correct.

You shoot the stage 5 times - hence the recommendation for 5 magazines. However you can have someone load mags while you shoot. At least 3 mags recommended.

Make sure you know the direction your pistol is pointing in the case. You must open the case with the pistol pointed downrange.

They team up first time shooters with an experienced mentor to help them through the process. Its pretty straightforward once you get through the first stage :s0155:

I shoot with either 2 25 round mags (10/22) or 5 22/45 mags. There will be a couple stages with targets close in. The remainder will get progressively farther away.

You walk to the line with 5 loaded mags and your firearm cased and unloaded.

When directed by the RO you will be told to "make ready". You will uncase the firearm, load a mag, cycle a round into the chamber, verify the safety is off, then win 12 feet in front of you at the ground.

The RO will say "Shooter Ready". You respond verbally. The next thing you hear will be a beep to start your string.

You will shoot at the 4 outside targets as fast as you can. If you miss you shoot till all 4 are hit once, then you will shoot the center target called the "stop plate". This stops your time. If you missed a target before hitting the stop plate you will receive a time penalty. Once you hit the stop plate you are done.

You will then ready your firearm for the next string by swapping in a fresh mag. The RO will say "Shooter Ready". You respond verbally. Beep...do it all again.

Once you have shot 5 strings the RO will say "Show and make clear". You remove the mag, cycle the action, then aim downrange and pull the trigger. You will then be told to recase your firearm. TURN OFF YOUR RED DOT, Case your firearm and leave the stage.

They take your worst score and throw it out. Your remaining 4 times are averages and that's your time for that stage. Normally shoot 5-6 stages so you will want at least 200 rounds.

This is correct.

They team up first time shooters with an experienced mentor to help them through the process. Its pretty straightforward once you get through the first stage :s0155:

Keep in mind the experienced shooters do this under duress and some of them will scream at you like you are a 5 year old if you do anything wrong. No, you can't shoot them for it and yes, it's worth putting up with it! :)

Keep in mind the experienced shooters do this under duress and some of them will scream at you like you are a 5 year old if you do anything wrong. No, you can't shoot them for it and yes, it's worth putting up with it! :)

Have not experienced this. The crew we shot with Sunday was very helpful with my Junior shooter (16 yrs old). Nick is a great guy, even helping us with a little strategy on Two to Fall (Thanks Nick, it worked great).

May 6th MAN OF STEEL!!!!! Can't wait. 8 stages!!!

Does anyone have the results from today, or know where they can be found online?

I tried very hard to place last, and believe I did it but want to be sure.:D

Hmmm---looks like 7 shooters tried harder. You need to miss a little slower.:s0114:

(Just kidding----been down there plenty of times myself)

I've shot speed steel twice and never heard any screaming. I've asked basic questions and received helpful, courteous answers. Everyone was friendly. They were either happy to have a new shooter there, or they were really good at faking it. Either way, I was comfortable (aside from the rain and cold).

screamed at !! ?? no way I"ve ever experienced or even heard of this happening.we pay t shoot there,not get screamed at.Having ear muff son ,and mabye plugs too,does make a person talk loud enuff to be heard,expecially an RO,...but screamed at??

The only time you will get screamed at when shooting steel at Tri-C is if you are doing
something REALLY UNSAFE. If I'm the RO, the volume of the screamin' will be directly
connected to the muzzle direction. The closer you are to pointing the gun at me, yourself
or someone else---the louder the screamin' will get.

We don't even raise our voice for stupid. Everyone is a beginner at some point, and no one
is immune to doing dumb things.

Seriously----if you have been screamed at at a steel match--keep in mind that most of us are half deaf
and wearing hearing protection, so we do get to talkin' loud---report it to Nick.

I have only been one place where individuals were giving the game a bad name. I won't say the club but the guys shooting Trap there (Mostly over 60) would look at someone new as a bother to them and their routine. I took a new shooter there once (I normally shoot Skeet) and two gentleman on the squad complained every time we didn't conform to their ritualistic timing. At times they were down rite rude about it.

I'd had enough and told both of them after the round was over that it was people like them who were killing their own sport. Without new shooters, participation drops, then the facilities start dropping the equipment for lack of interest, till it eventually it just blows away like dust. They both looked at me like I was an idiot, till someone high up in the club that was eavesdropping came over and ripped them both a new one for their behavior. I and my new shooter moved to Skeet and never looked back.
New shooters are like gold!!! They should be encouraged at every step because without them the sport doesn't grow. Even better are new shooters that are new to Firearms all together. They are true converts and will help uphold the 2nd Amendment as well.

Give a man a gun and he'll put it away somewhere. Teach him to shoot Speed Steel with it and he'll be hooked on a new sport (and go buy more guns, Ammo, Mags etc etc)!!!

The only time you will get screamed at when shooting steel at Tri-C is if you are doing
something REALLY UNSAFE. If I'm the RO, the volume of the screamin' will be directly
connected to the muzzle direction. The closer you are to pointing the gun at me, yourself
or someone else---the louder the screamin' will get.

We don't even raise our voice for stupid. Everyone is a beginner at some point, and no one
is immune to doing dumb things.

Seriously----if you have been screamed at at a steel match--keep in mind that most of us are half deaf
and wearing hearing protection, so we do get to talkin' loud---report it to Nick.

I am new to the sport having completed my second TCGC Speed Steel Sunday on April 1, 2012. Nick rolls out a good show and insures that all of the elements are there for everyone to have a great time. Participants are welcoming of those that are new to the sport. I have yet to see one ego that was out of place and everyone put safety first. The TCGC Speed Steel Sunday attracts a great crowd. I have been able to connect on a personal level with folks that I know professionally ("Wow, you are a member here too?") and meet some new friends. I'm looking forward to my next TCGC Speed Steel Sunday!

Can't wait for "Man of Steel"!!!! My Junior shooter and I are all set!!!

DSCN0040.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads