JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You will be very rudely told to leave the premises if you show up and ask to observe. It's happened to me and two other folks I know.

There are a ton of other ranges that would welcome you with open arms in hopes that you would find the match interesting and that it would pique your desire to begin shooting with them. I'd suggest you go there.

You will be very rudely told to leave the premises if you show up and ask to observe. It's happened to me and two other folks I know.

There are a ton of other ranges that would welcome you with open arms in hopes that you would find the match interesting and that it would pique your desire to begin shooting with them. I'd suggest you go there.
Are you a member? If you are you should not have been told to leave. If you are not, then you have to there with a member as a guest, even to watch. I've observed twice and never been told to leave. I've also watched other matches and always been greeted by a competitor and asked if I had any questions or wanted to join a match next time. I'm a member and would never dream of just showing up at a range to observe without checking ahead of time.

Hi @NWGlockgal.

I am not a member. Even so, I should not be met with profanity and degradation for simply coming to a match and asking to observe (nor should others who have had that treatment there). I have shot many DCM and high power matches at TCGC up to about 10 years ago and during that time I have witnessed those wanting to observe be welcomed and given the royal treatment where club members proudly showcased the facility (there is a lot to be proud of at TCGC) and were happy to explain the ins and outs of the particular match that was being observed.

I really have to wonder what has happened at this facility to have such a vehement change in attitude that derides and denigrates those who are interested in the shooting sports.

I'm in an opposite camp from you in that I would never dream that a club would turn away a potential competitor / member asking to observe and learn, especially in this political day and age where we need to scrape and scrap for any chance to present the firearm domain in a positive light. I have dropped by at least a half-dozen ranges in my time and asked to observe a match and have never been turned away prior to TCGC. These were all member only clubs.

I've witnessed the same thing countless times at countless other ranges and the results are always the same, the "seeker" was enthusiastically welcomed to the facility and folks were more than happy to volunteer to be a teacher / guide to that person seeking. If fact many times the members offer firearms and ammo to encourage this observer to actually participate. I've seen folks entirely forgo their own shooting to get the observer on the line making them a participant. This has an extremely positive effect on the person observing the match ... it gets them hooked and we need many many more "hooked" shooters. Just look at the average age of competitors at a typical match these days. When the senior category is as big or bigger than the others it's only a matter of time before these sports, and the rights they depend upon fade into memory.

You do mention asking first and I agree that is desirable, but you have to have match officials that actually will answer their email. About two years ago I tried to reach out to the match contact points listed on TCGCs web page to no avail. After numerous attempts I posted my frustrations here and did finally get answers to my questions from forum members, not anybody officially tied to the club. You in fact were one of those that offered me great info ... as you do here frequently ... to which I'm appreciative as I am sure others are as well.

I appreciate your answering my post, and I hope my answer to you puts it in better context. I'm not trying to create any type of dissention by this, or any strife. I am however giving fair warning to the OP as to how he will be treated, he deserves to know this in advance if there is someone here (me) that can provide him with that fair warning.

Cheers! I hope you make Rimfire Challenge in October!

I guess I would have to ask how did you get on the property if you are not a member? Or were you treated that way at the gate? Didn't know there was a Rimfire Challenge in October. Thanks for mentioning it. I hated missing the last one, but it was the same as a different match. Hope to make this one!

The gate code was posted on a note by the keypad. I drove up to the range and walked over to introduce myself to the RSOs standing there.

The next Rimfire Challenge is the 10th of October. The last one was a beautiful day for a match, there were 49 shooters and we used tablets running Practiscore software to keep track of times. It went really well. While they are challenging, the format is still fun matches for newbies, so I always try to have at least one in tow when shooting there. But you know all of this. I hope you can make it next time!

The gate code was posted on a note by the keypad. I drove up to the range and walked over to introduce myself to the RSOs standing there.

The next Rimfire Challenge is the 10th of October. The last one was a beautiful day for a match, there were 49 shooters and we used tablets running Practiscore software to keep track of times. It went really well. While they are challenging, the format is still fun matches for newbies, so I always try to have at least one in tow when shooting there. But you know all of this. I hope you can make it next time!
Just signed up! Looking forward to it. Glad they went to tablets. I do wish they could use timers instead of stop watches but guess the shots from the neighboring stage would interfere.

... Glad they went to tablets. ...
This!!!

They work so much better for scorekeeping, I can't imagine the time it took for them to manually enter all the times into the spreadsheet they used to use. That's dedication to providing a great match to the shooters, I doubt too many really stop and think how much work Ben's family does to make these matches happen.

I do wish they could use timers instead of stop watches ...
Me too, timers are far easier to use and make for much more consistent reporting of results. I've casually watched folks as they perform the RSO timer function and see a great variation in when they hit the start / stop button.

... but guess the shots from the neighboring stage would interfere.

That's the reason Ben says he uses stopwatches.

Since a .22's report is pretty tame I would think you could set the sensitivity on the timers such that they would work, especially if the RSO held the timer facing the muzzle from a position just to the right of and to the rear of the shooter. It's a safe place to stand and observe the shooter, doesn't get in the way of the shooter and should minimize picking up shots from the other stages.

It probably would take a bit of training in using and positioning the timer and that may cause too many problems and would keep the match from running smoothly since so many folks rotate through the RSO position. I think I'll bring my timer next match and play around with the settings to see if its feasible.

I guess I really hijacked this thread :s0001: sorry about that! See you in October.

Is there a way to sign / show up as a observer?

Your best bet is to start another thread asking if any members here, are also members at TCGC. If they shoot Multi-Gun, ask them politely and see if they will bring you as a guest to the next match.

If done correctly, you just might end up with some new competition shooting friends....Good luck!

I am a rso there we don't post the gate code at the gate you get it by email from the match director.

I don't understand clubs that don't want new members? I might make it so you don't take just anyone who is willing to pay to use, but take all that want to join and better the club/help tow the line. I do prefer member only clubs. In this day and age it seems very hard to get volunteers, also growing as a group is awesome in my opinion and better for all. I once joined a club where you had to introduce yourself to the members and board at the monthly meeting, then tell them why you want to join and what you can offer as a member, they collectively decided the membership or not. Being rude and or pushing away perspective new members is really not a club I am interested in, and the clubs members is who will suffer because of it.
I hope I misread above. -5.0

I don't understand clubs that don't want new members? I might make it so you don't take just anyone who is willing to pay to use, but take all that want to join and better the club/help tow the line. I do prefer member only clubs. In this day and age it seems very hard to get volunteers, also growing as a group is awesome in my opinion and better for all. I once joined a club where you had to introduce yourself to the members and board at the monthly meeting, then tell them why you want to join and what you can offer as a member, they collectively decided the membership or not. Being rude and or pushing away perspective new members is really not a club I am interested in, and the clubs members is who will suffer because of it.
I hope I misread above. -5.0
TriCounty welcomes all new members. However, since it is a non-profit organization and it has by laws, the membership is capped at a certain limit (not sure, but I think between 5,000 and 6,000 members). My understanding is right now there is a two year wait list to become a member. So growing the club isn't a problem. I agree being rude or pushing people away is not desirable, and I've never seen that happen.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews