JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've owned and shot both, go with the TCP. Same price but you get an extra mag, bulldog pouch and a more sturdy gun. The recoil on the TCP didn't bother me at all as to where the kel tec always felt jumpy.

my buddy has the taurus he had the keltec first i had the ruger lcp witch is a copy of the kel tec my buddy likes the taurus better its a little bigger than the keltec though its more accurate and seems better made than ether of the kel tec or the ruger out of those 3 id take the taurus the only thing i dont like about it is there mags base plate is to big . to be totally honest i got rid of my ruger lcp and got a kahr p380 witch i like better than al the restbut it cost twice as much as any of the other ones . so id go with the taurus plus the taurus is rated for +p

"Then save some more money and buy a real gun"

not sure where you are going with this. Do you have better suggestions for a mouse gun? cause you didn't state any. or do you feel anyone that goes around protecting themselves with anything less that a shotgun in their trousers isn't doing enough?

a gun you can have with you everywhere, no matter what your wearing, is better than the Wilson Combat 1911 that you left at home.

That being said. all are great choices. I've had the Keltec for years and shot literally thousands of (painful) rounds through it. when i bought it there was no other options. i believe the Ruger is a better built version of the same gun. the Taurus is different and i think it has a slightly better trigger, which i think accounts for most of these members reports into better accuracy. the trigger on the Taurus is much smoother and crisper than the Keltec or the Ruger. The extra mag is very nice to have which comes with the Taurus, as well as the Taurus is a little bit thicker thru the grip, not much but just enough to make it fit the hand a little better and make shooting more comfortable. The Ruger and Keltec have aftermarket belt clip options. i rarely used it save for when i went jogging. my wife (who took over my Keltec) and my sister in law(Keltec) and step mother(Ruger) use their belt clips on a daily basis. as for me it was almost always pocket carry and the clip was just another annoying edge on the gun to wear on my skin. i will soon be getting a new mouse gun. the Taurus. but all of these guns are great. that little kel tec is the best concealed carry purchase i have ever made. i have never found a situation, obviously illegal zone excluded, that i haven't been able to carry that sweet little pistol. including dropping it in my swimsuit pocket at the beach. and no one was the wiser. an impossible feat with what some people might call "a real gun"

I have shot the Kel Tec many times, but went with the Taurus TCP(I have no experience with the LCP). It is maybe 1 oz heavier than the Kel Tec. The grips on the TCP are much more tolerable than the Kel Tec. When shooting the KT, it seems like the grip is biting into your hand, where the TCP has a smoother texture.

In MY opinion, there is a bit less 'felt' recoil with the TCP, but that is me. My TCP has been 100% reliable so far with UMC, Golden Saber HP, and Hornady Personal Defense HP rounds.

The TCP is the only one of the three where the slide locks back after the last shot, so you know when you are out of ammo in the magazine. The LCP and P3AT do not.

One thing not mentioned here is that the trigger guard on the TCP is slightly larger than either the KT or LCP, which can be helpful if you happen to be wearing thin gloves or you have larger fingers. The TCP conceals easily in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster for me.

My SS slide TCP cost me $240 + $20 FFL and came with 2 mags and bulldog PDA style belt holster.

If you are looking for a great pocket gun, ANY of the 3 (TCP, LCP, P3AT) will do a great job, while not breaking your bank account. All 3 are also "MADE IN THE USA".....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

I've purchased 3 TCP pistols, but have not shot either the LCP or the P3AT. I did check them out before I purchased the first TCP and liked the fit of the TCP better, plus the slide locking back on an empty mag and all of the goodies it comes with. The first one was for my daughter, the 2nd was a used one for me and the 3rd was for the wife. Of those, only one has given us any feeding problems at all. It was the 3rd one. Maybe it would have "broken in", but I found a sharp edge on the rear corner of the chamber and smoothed it out. All three are now very reliable.
If I was in the market for another 380 pocket gun, I would not hesitate to buy another TCP.

The February 2012 issue of Shooting times has a review of the Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP S&W Bodyguard 380 and the Taurus TCP. They tested 3 of each. I wish they would have included the Sig P238.
I tried to find the story online, but it must not be available yet. One of the Kel-Tecs died at the 30 round mark. They did comment favorably on the Kel-Tec warranty and service, but I think I'd prefer to not be one to find out.

My thanks to all who replied (except mjbskwim) I really appreciate the feedback! Think I'm gonna try the Taurus, and will be looking for the Shooting Times issue also! Merry Christmas to all....even mjbskwim :)

When shooting the KT, it seems like the grip is biting into your hand, where the TCP has a smoother texture.

Absolutely true! I have the P3AT, and while it is perfect for its intended purpose, it is not fun to shoot. Lots of rough edges that bite into your hand. I can shoot about 50 rounds through it if I force myself. It really can be very accurate if you do your part. I carry mine with a belt clip attachment you can buy. Light enough to wear on the elastic band of a pair of shorts in the summer. Ease of carry is the biggest plus. So easy to carry I never leave it in the lock box.

I use a Pt 145 pro with a Crossbreed holster
Great little 45 ACP 10 rounds in the clip wear it with a tee shirt and no one knows I have it. I have ran over 1000 rounds in it whit no problems (it do’s not like cheap Winchester ammo, it has loading problems) My wife will not put a round in the chamber when she carry’s so we got her a 357 tracker revolver to fix the problem. She just loves it for her carry and it looks good on her hip when she is riding. It is amazing to see that 357 disappear at the 5 o’clock position in her crossbreed holster. I have used Taurus for some time as my backup and IWC they are good guns and they have the best repair policy of any gun manufacture (Although I hear they are not that fast)

Look at the Diamond Back DP9, it is in 9mm. I own all of the above mentioned mouse guns. My 32 KT is reliable, my P3at ejects the magazine on every shot, KT has sent me parts to repair myself,(their answer not mine) the plastic mag catch doesn't work. Ruger in my opinion is not made better, just a copy. Kahr is to big and heavy. The Taurus is to big. The DB9 is not alot bigger than my P3at.
The best reason for me, DB9 is in 9mm, I consider this cartridge the minimum caliber for self defense, it is one of the smallest 9mm out there.
I own two, have not had a problem with either. Will post up if any develope. The manufacturer recommends breaking in the pistol by shooting it I concur, they also state, do not shoot +p, +p+, or any ammo over 125gr in weight. Most people (read not all) who have had a problem with this system don't follow the manufacturers recommendations concerning ammo.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ha...ack-9mm-first-impressions-db9-vs-db380-2.html

Jim

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top