JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So just wanting to get some opinions from some people on here. I was looking at getting a new .22 pistol for plinking/ camp gun.
I was looking at the Taurus 992 revolver with the ability to change cylinders for .22lr and .22mag sounds nice, but was also looking at a Ruger 22/45 lite just really because I think it's cool and fun.
Wondering about the reliability of the semi auto Ruger and it's accuracy?

The single six also has the two cylinders, but out of those two choices I would go with the ruger lite. I am currently looking for a good deal on one as well. Great backpacking/hiking gun.

Personally I love 1911'sbut for some reason I'm not a big fan of the 22/45's. I have a MKIII target and it is awesome. If you like the 22/45 feel I'm sure it would be great as well. I have not shot the Taurus 22's but would do fine with that as well I'm sure. I also prefer the mag change capability compared to the revolver reload process as well.

I have a 22/45 lite and its functionally a nice gun.

But I dont shoot it much since I have to watch the take down videos every time I clean it because its not very intuitive to disassemble and reassemble. Perhaps its the ammo I use but the barrel gets caked in lead when I shoot it as well. Literally running a brass brush through it leaves small little piles of lead flakes. I shoot 50 rounds through it and Im still cleaning lead out of it after an hour. Not really happy about that sort of lead exposure either.

Between those two issues Its always my last pick when going to the range.

I have no experience with the Taurus. My .22 revolver is a 60's vintage smith camp gun, awesome piece.

My go to .22 is a 22/45 lite with volquartsen trigger and sear, fo front sight, VQ grips, magazine disconnect removed and slingshot mod. I love it. It is accurate enough for what I use it for, plinking and training new shooters, and its been very reliable. I usually clean it by running a bore snake through it but I periodically break it down. Yes, it takes finesse and sometimes reading instructions or looking at a video but I've broken down rugers enough times to be able to pull it off without too much problem. Reportedly, some of the 22/45 lites have a leading problem but I haven't notices any issues with mine.

I also have a mark 3 bull barrel, also a great piece and easier to shoot very accurately than the 22/45, and a buckmark, but the lite is what we shoot most often.