JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
25y to start.

When all rounds are within a quarter, move to 50. You start with the cheapest ammo you can get because why should YOU shoot a $7/50 rounds and it shoots the same as cheap Remington $18/500 ?

22LR is used for introductions due to the cheap munitions and availability. You can shoot 10x as much as the next closest competition in the center fire world (5.56/.223)

Right now you need less questions and more hands on practice/experience.

The same approach happens when I am teaching somebody the art of reloading. We don't discuss theory at the start. We go through each step hands on and as questions arise as to why xyz is done it is explained.

From brain to finger it won't stick, from finger to brain it holds true longer.

It's all theoretical until you actually apply, then it's practical.

Just make sure they offer loaner rifles or you will need something larger then a .22lr rifle I believe.

Actually, a 10/22 works quite well for Appleseed and is the most popular rifle on the line. Some of the events even ONLY allow .22 lr.

Now days, I usually only shoot 50 yard targets, as that is the distance my club prefers to shoot rimfire competitions at. I don't see any reason to shoot at any other distance at the moment when talking about rimfire rifles (well 22lr in particular in the OP).... For iron sighted rifles, its generally pretty easy to hit the bullseye at 50 yards:
9oTTjgI.jpg
9t36AYp.jpg

I'm thinking my new savage mkI FVT is going to shoot just as good as my old Winchester in the above picture too. Based on some preliminary shooting I did with it on the first. I actually just clipped a few coils off the trigger spring on that rifle a little while ago. Now it adjusts down to 2 pounds and is very crisp and safe. I look forward to shooting that rifle more in the future. For $194.00 it could surely be a great little sleeper at a very affordable price. Couldn't pass it up. Something I have to say about shooting a single shot 22lr, is it brings back good memories of when I was a kid and shooting my best friends little 22lr at pop cans. Bullets were so cheap back then. We could shoot all day long if we wanted to. A 22lr is a perfect starter and trainer cartridge. Good luck to the op. Have fun and most importantly, be safe...

Last Edited:
So, how do others practice? Perhaps mastering 25 yards with my .22 rifle is the place to begin. Someone helped me sight-in my .22 on day one. For some reason, I couldn't get my binoculars to focus at 25 yards. I'm not sure if it was the cold weather or the binoculars didn't like the paper targets. I am just wondering how others practice and what I may be able to adopt?
Learn to position shoot by attending a Highpower "Clinic". Learn to shoot standing, sitting and prone by experienced coaches.
Saturday Jan. 18 Class in the AM range practice in the afternoon. Sunday Jan. 19 will be the Clinic match. Each new shooter will have a coach.
Loaner rifles available. Contact Carl Haggland match director. Also March 14 DRRC Highpower clinic.

Last Edited:
PLEASE do NOT use your .22 for deer hunting.

Others here will advise you why. Even here in UK, where we actually have a deer species that you could drop with a well-thrown muffin, only centrefire is permitted for humane reasons.

Last Edited:
Yeah don't do that...
( Deer hunting with a .22 rifle that is )

I am assuming that the OP meant to use the .22 rifle as practice for deer hunting...as in practicing for when
hunting with an actual deer rifle and caliber...But we all know the dangers of assuming.

It seems like most everyone I grew up with had a story about a family member or family friend who , usually during the Great Depression , shot and killed deer with a .22 rifle.
And while I do not doubt that action occurred , somewhere , with someone...
As well as under certain conditions with a ton of luck it could be done...
It is not a humane way to hunt a deer.

There are far too many other actual "deer rifles and cartridges" out there to choose from ...get one of those and use it.
Andy

Here's the Muntjac deer, a non-invasive imported species, allegedly brought into England to make small estates look bigger....

This here is a fawn............aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

1578057181054.png

Full-grown they CAN reach 35 pounds.....:eek:

Aim small, miss small.
repeatability. same thing, same way everytime.

Try the boy scout method....hold on the center of target every time, 5-10 shots to prove out the gun. this is a floating bullseye. Then....move sights/optic to the grouped shots.

Aim small, miss small.
repeatability. same thing, same way everytime.

Try the boy scout method....hold on the center of target every time, 5-10 shots to prove out the gun. this is a floating bullseye. Then....move sights/optic to the grouped shots.
That method works great with a scope, but the op was specifically asking about iron sighted rifles. With this method, you also have to have a very solid rest that doesn't permit the rifle to move at all. The op may not be set up to do this type of "boy scout" method of sighting in. I'm thinking he also needs to invest in a spotting scope. Even a $99 one from bi-mart will be better than his binoculars, for spotting 22 cal bullet holes in the target. I've used an el-cheapo bushnell spotter for more than 20 years now, and it has always worked well at seeing small bullet holes, even at 100 yards in the black bulls eye. So, you don't need to spend a ton of money to get something that works well enough.

Learn to position shoot by attending a Highpower "Clinic". Learn to shoot standing, sitting and prone by experienced coaches.
Saturday Jan. 18 Class in the AM range practice in the afternoon. Sunday Jan. 19 will be the Clinic match. Each new shooter will have a coach.
Loaner rifles available. Contact Carl Haggland match director. Also March 14 DRRC Highpower clinic.
This is good advice buddy. I've seen you shoot and shot with you, so I know you speak the truth. I was lucky enough to have my dad and grandpa around to show me the basics of marksmanship. Its best to learn from someone that has good technique and form, then practice practice practice. I was fortunate enough to have a bounty of shooting resources right out my front door in Nevada. I could actually leave the house with rifle, shotgun, pistol and ammo and walk and shoot for days if I wanted. A lot of youngsters now days don't have that opportunity, so maybe they might have to join a club. I suggest buying a book on shooting as well, even if the op has some sort of a mentor. Its still great to be able to look at pictures of proper form and read articles on shooting, developing marksmanship skills, accuracy and precision. I have some books, like "successful shooting", "All about rifle hunting and shooting in America", and the "complete outdoors encyclopedia". Those are amongst my favorites, but I know there are many more out there that the OP may be interested in. Books can help tremendously, if one is patient enough to read through them. Then it's all about developing ones own style. Finding what works for you, because we are not all the same. One method may work better than the other.

Here's the Muntjac deer, a non-invasive imported species, allegedly brought into England to make small estates look bigger....

This here is a fawn............aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

View attachment 646626

Full-grown they CAN reach 35 pounds.....:eek:
Kind a like the Sitka White tail deer in SE Alaska. Saw some out of stater carry out one in each hand ( and they paid for out of state tags for each!)

One of the very few benefits to shooting deer here in UK is that there is no tag system of any kind. There is also a HUGE overpopulation of most species, and venison is cheap. Well, for those of us with nigh-on instant access to it, that is.