JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking for a new scope for my 20" AR... Has a nice Nikon 4-14x44 on it now, but was looking for something different.

Was just in the back of my mind until I saw this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...c_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=gunpl-20

Its an ATN 5-18x nightvision scope, but also is usable for daylight shooting.
Seemed versatile enough for target shooting as well as any varmint work... plus the novelty factor.;)

What do you all think?

Any experience with NV scopes before or with ATN?

For the price, Im skeptical... but then again, its not like this is new technology here either... maybe a good deal?

I have ATN thermal, it's very fun. I don't have experience with their night vision, but the fun factor is very high when able to see / shoot at dark hours. Makes looking outside and seeing what's going on in the neighborhood during the night a lot more revealing.

I have had a bad experience with ATN warranty work but that was a long time ago. Bad circuit card. They wanted to charge me nearly the price of the scope to replace the circuit card. They wouldn't give me the schematics so I could fix it myself " proprietary information they said." And wouldn't budge. On price..they offered me $ 400 credit towards another scope if I gave them mine I ended up selling it as parts on EBAY

Last Edited:
I was interested in the 3-12 version at the same price. I read a lot of on line reviews. It is a mixed bag. The only reason I am interested in it us for NV. I'm sure that a $300 conventional scope would be much better in daylight. I think ATN is a developing company who is developing a technology. I read some reviews where people said they have good support and even one where they admitted that this model wasn't the best but rather a stepping stone in their development. The price for it was over 2x when it was current technology but they are blowing them out now that the Gen 2 HD is on the market. I held off buying one because I decided that for a few hundred more I can get a better product. How many times have you bought the cheap thing only to be dissapionted and still pay for the better one later. If $300 is all you can spend then it may be worth a try. Read some of the many reviews and YouTube videos. It would be nice to hear from someone with actual experience

A lot of the negatives I read we're focused on poor battery life or wanting to upgrade from the stock illuminator.

Valid complaints, but not enough to deter me I think.
I figure at best I'd get to take this on a legit hunt once maybe twice a year..... If I have to bring another $10 in batteries along, if that considering they're AAs, I think I'll deal with it.

Haven't seen much in the way of quality or performance complaints.
Old tech vs new.... 1080p vs 4k? I can't tell the difference on a TV, scope may be no different.

I'll decide by the end of the week... I'll post a lengthy review if I do get it

I was always bad at math

I figure in this case that I'm not buying a budget model but a closeout of old technology.
If the 1080p version was $700 and got the job done 5-6 years ago, it's good enough for me now.

Like phones or game consoles, etc. Do I buy the latest Xbox for $600 today or $200 in a couple years?
In my head, that's the case here VS. buying the Simmons scope instead of the Vortex.

A lot of the negatives I read we're focused on poor battery life or to upgrade from the stock illuminator.

Valid complaints, but not enough to deter me I think.
I figure at best I'd get to take this on a legit hunt once maybe twice a year..... If I have to bring another $10 in batteries along, if that considering they're AAs, I think I'll deal with it.

Haven't seen much in the way of quality or performance complaints.
Old tech vs new.... 1080p vs 4k? I can't tell the difference on a TV, scope may be no different.

I'll decide by the end of the week... I'll post a lengthy review if I do get it

Battery life and clarity day and night were the complaints I concluded as well. I read that the 5-18 was pretty poor close to max magnification. That is why I was considering the 3-12. I wouldn't expect to see well much further than 100 yards at night. I thought it would be better to have the greater field of view on low power than a higher power range of poor quality.

Does anyone know if it is legal to use night vision for hunting rabbits or coyotes in Oregon. Does it make a difference if you are on public or private?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top