JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Mossberg 500, with an 18.5" barrel and tube mag out to the end, loaded with alternating buckshot and slugs.

I live out in the boonies on 20 forest acres:

1901389_305816456279893_803973096954478193_n.jpg

I have houses on three sides with some woods in between (one on the south side not shown). The shotgun is for those nights when something is outside that the neighbor dogs are barking at, the motion detector lights have lit up, and I think I may want to go outside and see what is going on. I usually stay inside because it is usually deer, or coyotes or something like that.

I figure if I am careful the buckshot and maybe the slugs won't reach the neighbor's houses or out to the private road.

I do have cougar and bears and so on, so I don't like to go out in the night unarmed just in case I unwittingly corner or scare a cougar or bear. But I don't have a light on my shotgun and the outside lights are not enough to show what is in the shadows beyond their illumination.

So I want to get a decent weapon light I can clamp on, but I don't want spend $500 on a Surefire as that is more than the shotgun cost! I know you get what you pay for, but Surefires are so damn costly!:eek:

Anyway, I was thinking a Streamlight weapon light, or a combo laser/light? I want to spend less than $200, but I want something reliable naturally. I see some other brands for as low as $30 but I think that for that cheap they can't possibly be reliable, especially on a shotgun.

Feedback?

TIA

Im a fan of the Streamlight TLR1HL. I think the new ones are 800 lumens and they are a concentrated light which is good outdoors. Indoors, they create a lot of splash. You could get a clamp on barrel band rail piece or something like a Magpul foreend with a small piece of rail bolted to it.

As far as laser and light combos, im not crazy about the old style TLR2 with belly mounted laser because of the separation from the laser to the bore line. The new ones have the laser coming through an opening in the light bell.

Not sure how much difference that makes. The sights on this particular shotgun:

Mossberg%20500%20Bullpup.jpg

Are way off the bore line anyway, enough to affect the impact point at close range. A laser should theoretically have the ability to adjust enough to handle impact point below 50 to 100 yards, and every other shot is buckshot anyway. Outside of 50 yards I am not going to be shooting. This is mostly for defense if I surprise a cougar or bear and they charge. I don't have livestock on this place so I don't shoot predators unless they attack me or other human or one of the dogs.

Im a fan of the Streamlight TLR1HL. I think the new ones are 800 lumens and they are a concentrated light which is good outdoors. Indoors, they create a lot of splash. You could get a clamp on barrel band rail piece or something like a Magpul foreend with a small piece of rail bolted to it.

Shotgun is much less likely to be used inside my house, but if used it will probably be without the light on.

No real crime up here (except dumping of trash and unwanted pets), and most people are armed, making home invasion when someone is likely to be home unlikely (two of my vehicles are always in the driveway during the day making it look like someone may be home, and the neighbor dogs, and other stay at home people in the neighborhood, and a private road to boot).

The inside of my house has motion detector and night lights, and I live alone - so it is a free fire zone inside my house. Anybody or anything comes into the house uninvited or moving around can be shot.

be sure to get a flashlight that was designed as a weapon light. don't try and go the 30 dollar route.

about 30 years ago i bought some barrel/tube mount and put in something like a duel AA maglight.. first shot broke the bulb and the reflector -

i learned my lesson, and especially for a shotgun would only look at lights that were resistant to that type of shock.

Not sure how much difference that makes. The sights on this particular shotgun:

View attachment 358614

Are way off the bore line anyway, enough to affect the impact point at close range. A laser should theoretically have the ability to adjust enough to handle impact point below 50 to 100 yards, and every other shot is buckshot anyway. Outside of 50 yards I am not going to be shooting. This is mostly for defense if I surprise a cougar or bear and they charge. I don't have livestock on this place so I don't shoot predators unless they attack me or other human or one of the dogs.

Is that the shotgun you're trying to mount a light on? What're you planning on shooting it at? Robocop?

It is for what I said it is for in my OP. I said it was 'tactical', but it needs a light. If you were on my property after dark (it gets really dark out here) and knew that you would just as likely run into this:

b4463e08e7687d5e3c47bc7a962bd500.jpg

Or this:

article-2416702-05CAED46000005DC-155_634x404.jpg

Which regularly roam around here, then you would want to have something in your hands that could handle it when going outside to see what is making a ruckus and/or causing the lights to come on at 2 AM in the morning.

It is for what I said it is for in my OP. I said it was 'tactical', but it needs a light. If you were on my property after dark (it gets really dark out here) and knew that you would just as likely run into this:

View attachment 360052

Or this:

View attachment 360053

Which regularly roam around here, then you would want to have something in your hands that could handle it when going outside to see what is making a ruckus and/or causing the lights to come on at 2 AM in the morning.
So, what you're saying is that you want a select few NWFA individuals to come camp on your property for a few nights to drive away such sharp and furry creatures?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews