JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've noticed that in at least half the pictures I see of Syrians with AK47-type rifles, the rifles appear to be Chinese. Smooth receiver covers, full circle front sights, black oxide finish, etc.

For example, here's a Syrian boy with an underfolding Chinese spiker.
Syrian kid with Chinese spiker.jpg

Anyway, I thought Syria was a Russia ally. I just assumed it would be awash with Russian AKM and AK74. I was surprised to see so many Chinese rifles when image googling "Syrian AK47". I didn't know they had Wal-Mart in Syria.

Or maybe I'm not so good at identifying Chinese rifles, I'm no expert.

Syrian kid with Chinese spiker.jpg

Sheez man,what do you expect a kid to be able to afford?
have you seen the asking prices for the good AKs?
They don't have many shoes for a kid to shine to buy better arms.

But I believe the chinese,or whoever, are giving them a deal

Hoody is correct, that pic is a 56s chicom rifle. Albanians also had identical copies of them, but are harder to spot. But from a glance, Bulgarian ones also have smooth top covers and similar build. Plus they are actively built and exported into the middle east.

The recent Bulagrians are pretty much standard AKMs with ribbed top covers and plastic furnature.

The way the arms trade works is guns are bought in places where fighting is winding down, like Somalia and Detriot, the stuff is minimally refurbed, and then the arms are sold where the price is highest, like to the Syrian rebels, who have the Saudis and Qutaries sending them aid.

With ~100 million AKs floating around in the world having any particular variety show up somewhere isn't that strange.

H