JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter and SIL are building a home near Joseph and it will be another couple of years before it is complete on the pay as you go plan. I went over to visit Martin for a couple of days and took a few guns so we could go shooting. There is a very nice range a few miles away so we went there to have a look. We couldn't shoot there and ended up shooting at a gravel pit that belongs to a friend of his. Anyway, there were a couple of old guys like me at the range and we talked with them for half an hour or so. One of the guys was a retired Los Angeles fireman and he had an old colt 1911 that I kept eyeballing. I asked if I could look at it and he said sure. The gun showed signs of a lot of use but it was still in great mechanical condition with a great trigger. He asked if I had ever heard of Armand Swenson and I said yes. He went on to tell me how he knew him and had him accurize the gun years ago. I asked him if he marked it under the slide and he said that indeed he had and sure enough Swenson had. He showed me the end of the barrel where it locks in the bushing and explained that Armand had soldered around the barrel and then turned it so that it locked uptight. I could see where the work was done but had never heard of that being done before, interesting. I had my TSO and he shot a full mag at steel and did very well but he didn't want to trade. :)

Last Edited:
I clicked before I saw it was a discussion thread, hoping to see pictures and drool a bit. I've never seen one in person. That had to be an impressive handgun.

Armond Swenson made quite a name for himself back in day for accurizing 1911s,, one of the pioneers of bullseye guns.
He was one of the earlier gunsmiths who had a good understanding of what was needed to get a 1911 to be a bullseye gun.
This was long before the days of any aftermarket parts,, when guys welded and filed on guns,, and modified the old GI magazines so that they would feed semi-wadcutter ammo.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top