JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank you CLT65 and Toxic6.

And since we got a better picture.....
Yup....720 denotes the number of rounds in the can. That would explain the wooden crate marked 1440. And, 56 w/Chinese writing denotes the ammo as 7.62x39 mm.

Aloha, Mark

PS....typical Chinese headstamps for 7.62x54r can be viewed here.

Chinese 7.62x54r

Last Edited:
View attachment 442955
So the open tin is definetly 440 rounds of what I assume is 7.62x 55r as it's smaller than 7.62x39 and feeds perfectly into the above mentioned Mosin. It's impossible to get a good photo but the casing seems to be marked "ss" and "31" on the base. Here's a closer shot of the unopened tins. It appears they are marked 720, which I assume is the quantity. So maybe this is 7.62x39?

Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt, your unopened tins contain 720 rounds each of 7.62x39 steel core, copper washed, corrosive primed ammo wrapped in 20 round paper bundles. No need to guess. That's what they are.

Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt, your unopened tins contain 720 rounds each of 7.62x39 steel core, copper washed, corrosive primed ammo wrapped in 20 round paper bundles. No need to guess. That's what they are.
Well bubblegum now I need to finally get an Ak variant.

That ammo is worth about double what modern non-corrosive steel case 7.62x39 ammo sells for, to the right person. It's banned from importation because it's legally considered "armor piercing".

Well certainly you DO! I don't understand why you don't already? I got a K of 7.62 before I bought the rifle for it.
Honestly sir, I've been hesitant to add another platform to my system but now that I know I have 1440 rounds of premium gun food I may change my mind.

Honestly sir, I've been hesitant to add another platform to my system but now that I know I have 1440 rounds of premium gun food I may change my mind.

Just for me, personally, I don't want to mess with corrosive ammo. After day of shooting I just want to put the guns away and be done with it. If it were ME with that ammo I'd be looking to just get some wolf/Tula steel case stuff. And if the other is so valuable maybe a little more than a direct across trade could be had. Heck, I'm not any kind of great shot but I can hit the 10" gone at 100 yards every time with the Wolf stuff and open sites on my regular Polish AK.

I don't know that I'd necessarily call it premium ammo. Some people pay premium prices for it but I think that's primarily due to its "banned" status.

It's banned from importation because the ATF decided to classify it as armor piercing handgun ammunition. "Armor piercing" because of the steel core bullet, and "handgun" because it could be fired in a handgun, of sorts. Both of those labels are dubious at best, but that's what it is.

It's decently good ammo, and fairly accurate as I recall. It was very cheap and plentiful back in the early '90s. They say the hermetically sealed tins and corrosive primers make for ammo that can be stored for a very, very long time, if that's important to you. Occasionally you see gun show dealers trying to sell it for a dollar per round, but it normally sells for half that at best.

It brings back some memories for me, because I got my first SKS at a garage sale nearly 30 years ago, along with a tin just like those. I did a lot of shooting, and a lot of cleaning. :)

That AP stuff is real Rambo-food for an AK or SKS:eek:. Not for casual plinkin, Im here to tell ya. Used to light up junked car bodies with it.. surprisingly effective even on the 1950's tuna-boat cars..:D

Can't speak to the Swede. More pics to determine if your Finn is an M28 or M28/30. Both of those models are rifles captured from the Russians by the Finnish army and many were re-stocked and rebarreled by Sako or, in some cases, Tikka. The M28/30 in particular, does not have the typical .310 bore. It has a .308 (technically .3082) bore, which means that accuracy with handloads can be superb.

Interestingly, the M28/30 was used by famed Finnish sniper Simo "White Death" Häyhä, who is credited with 505+ kills using an M28/30. The Mosin-Nagant Rifle by Terence Lapin is a great resource to fully and properly identify your Finn Mosin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top