JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys, hoping you can give me a bit more info than the basics on these two rifles. One is a 1943 stamped Husqvarna and the other is 1934 Mosin stamped SKY.

I'm lookin for any details, value estimates, history lessons, etc...

F11EDE44-A3B1-4B9A-B415-B4F2D8D82324.jpeg ACDA297A-F278-4FD3-8466-551B99853BE7.jpeg CEBF21D6-5C08-401D-9D2E-381871ED700B.jpeg 05BF6590-D552-4B1E-9E11-D66C5B81BE74.jpeg 8387D8DE-E185-4A08-98FE-CFAFF9A8E687.jpeg

Last Edited:
Well, the Swede is a Husqvarna produced model 38. It is shorter than the M96 rifle, longer than the M94 Carbine. Likely not a converted M96 (also known as a M96/38), as it has the turned down bolt. It is a very nice rifle in a great shooting caliber. Value is all over the boards on Swede Mausers. The M96 seems to be the most common and least expensive variant, the M94 the least common and most expensive variant. The M38 sits right between the two.
I have seen them sell for as little as $300 and as much as $700. If I were selling that one, I would probably start by asking around $450-$500.

The Mosin Nagant is a Finnish rework. I want to say the SKY marking is from the Sako factory, but I could easily be wrong, as the Mosin variants are not in my wheel house. I would say a low end of $400 on that one, if not more. Someone else can step in with better info and correct me if necessary.

Both are nice higher end surplus rifles. The 6.5 Swede looks to be in original condition, which is a good thing and your Mosin is a Finish (Finland) M28. Similar to the M39 (has a pistol grip on it's stock) but a little difference such as a straight comb instead of the pistol grip. Also the letter S inside the gear means that it was produced by the Sako factory.

The Swede is probably not all original. The bolt shroud looks to have an electro-penciled force matched bolt shroud. Pretty common. Might drop the value down a bit, but still a sweet shooter.

The official designation for the cartridge you show, with the very short, conical shape, is "6.5 kammarpatron m/12." It is abbreviated as "6.5 kptr m/12" or simply "6.5 KPTR12." The bullet weight is nominally 9.3 gr and a velocity of ~1600 fps. 'Kammar' is Swedish for room/indoors, BTW.

These are interesting to shoot. They have a loud muzzle blast, perhaps not quite up to a ball round, absolutely no recoil, and at about 10 yards, would not knock down the plates on a steel plate rack (fired from a Model 94 Carl Gustafsstads Carbine), with the plates adjusted to fall to a low velocity, 100 grain .38 Special load, fired from a revolver-length barrel (4-3/4" to 7-1/2").

The m/12 is only an empty cup projectile. There is no longer a wood core as there was in the original design. They were intended to be shot from a special version of the service rifle with ultra-slow rifling, that was made for indoor shooting at 15 yards into a backstop made of oat-flakes. You can bust balloons at 50 yds with m/12.

10+ years ago it was available in the U.S. from Century Arms in Vermont. It was $60 per case of 1,400 with free shipping.

Here is one of best sites for all things Swedish - I've found it very useful over the years...

1896 Swedish Mauser

BTW, m/12 rounds were always made with previously fired cases. They never used new cases.

They are NOT corrosive, as such, just dirty.

tac

Last Edited:
Dr. Tatu,

I can't read Chinese and I haven't had the pleasure of opening a Chinese tin of ammo. So anyway, looking at your wooden crate and that the number printed on the side "1440" seems odd for 7.62x54r. If I were to assume 1440 was the number of rounds....then, I'd suspect 7.62x39 ammo.

The typical newer Russian wooden crate contains two cans of 7.62x54r. So, 880 is usually printed on the side of the crate.

So, maybe it's the wrong wooden crate or the wrong tins within the crate?

Have you opened one of the tin cans? Does the actual can contain 7.62x54r or 7.62x39 ammo? And, if you do happen to open one, can I get the round count?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Dr. Tatu,

I can't read Chinese and I haven't had the pleasure of opening a Chinese tin of ammo. So anyway, looking at your wooden crate and that the number printed on the side "1440" seems odd for 7.62x54r. If I were to assume 1440 was the number of rounds....then, I'd suspect 7.62x39 ammo.

The typical newer Russian wooden crate contains two cans of 7.62x54r. So, 880 is usually printed on the side of the crate.

So, maybe it's the wrong wooden crate or the wrong tins within the crate?

Have you opened one of the tin cans? Does the actual can contain 7.62x54r or 7.62x39 ammo? And, if you do happen to open one, can I get the round count?

Aloha, Mark
Hi Mark, I haven't opened either of these tins, but I was given another tin that had been opened and it contains packages of paper-wrapped loose rounds. One of the rounds pictured above (not the 6.5) came from that opened tin... the tins are marked "56chinesecharacter7.62"... I'm hesitant to open one for fear of losing its sell/trade value...

Hi Mark, I haven't opened either of these tins, but I was given another tin that had been opened and it contains packages of paper-wrapped loose rounds. One of the rounds pictured above (not the 6.5) came from that opened tin... the tins are marked "56chinesecharacter7.62"... I'm hesitant to open one for fear of losing its sell/trade value...

I'm with you on that point. No need to open a tin if the writings appear similar. I'd assume.....it would probably be same kind of ammo inside 7.62x54r or 7.62x39.

But YES.....as posted above....type 56 will/might/could throw a monkey wrench into this guessing game.

So, how may rounds in the open tin? Does it appear that 440 would be a good guess?

Aloha, Mark

PS....if you could get me an excellent front view picture of one of those tins....I might be able to find someone to decipher it.

BTW.....looking at other pictures on the web. It appears that if there is a "550" on the tin and 56 w/Chinese writing....it might be 550 rounds of 7.62x39mm.

And

If there is a 53 w/Chinese writing with "440" on the can then, it might be 440 rounds of 7.62 x54r inside.

Course if it has stripper clips....the round counts could vary.

Last Edited:
I know exactly what is in your Chinese 7.62 tins. You will find that each tin has 720 rounds of Chinese copper-wash steel core M43 7.62x39mm ammo, wrapped in paper 20rnd bundles.

It's excellent ammo though it is corrosive. I'd be glad to trade you round for round for current production non-corrosive. :) (I'd be taking advantage though; the steel core M43 is worth more)

The Chinese 7.62x39 ammo tins came in two varieties: a 550 round tin with the ammo on SKS strippers, and a 720 round tin with the paper bundles. It was super cheap back in the day, before it was banned.

If you ever get around to breaking open the tins, if you spent a little extra time and cut it open along the side with a Dremel or similar (to keep the lid flat and intact) it would make an excellent addition to my collection :p

image.jpg
I'm with you on that point. No need to open a tin if the writings appear similar. I'd assume.....it would probably be same kind of ammo inside 7.62x54r or 7.62x39.

But YES.....as posted above....type 56 will/might/could throw a monkey wrench into this guessing game.

So, how may rounds in the open tin? Does it appear that 440 would be a good guess?

Aloha, Mark

PS....if you could get me an excellent front view picture of one of those tins....I might be able to find someone to decipher it.

BTW.....looking at other pictures on the web. It appears that if there is a "550" on the tin and 56 w/Chinese writing....it might be 550 rounds of 7.62x39mm.

And

If there is a 53 w/Chinese writing with "440" on the can then, it might be 440 rounds of 7.62 x54r inside.

Course if it has stripper clips....the round counts could vary.
So the open tin is definetly 440 rounds of what I assume is 7.62x 55r as it's smaller than 7.62x39 and feeds perfectly into the above mentioned Mosin. It's impossible to get a good photo but the casing seems to be marked "ss" and "31" on the base. Here's a closer shot of the unopened tins. It appears they are marked 720, which I assume is the quantity. So maybe this is 7.62x39?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top