JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello. Looking at s Sauer made k98 that has been somewhat sporterized. It would need the full stock set and hardware and a new rear site as the current one has been modified to remove handguard attachment. How hard of a project is this and where is the best source for wood and parts? Specifically it would need a flat but plate stock set, all hardware and a unmodified rear site installed.

Hello. Looking at s Sauer made k98 that has been somewhat sporterized. It would need the full stock set and hardware and a new rear site as the current one has been modified to remove handguard attachment. How hard of a project is this and where is the best source for wood and parts? Specifically it would need a flat but plate stock set, all hardware and a unmodified rear site installed.
Hope it's free, or next to free, or has something going for it like a matching bolt and receiver, or a rare receiver code.

You can get all the parts, and fix the rear sight, but the cost will add up quickly and usually is more than a comparable rifle bought whole.

I will have to add things up carefully. The link to Sarco is helpful for the cost of parts.

The rifle is only matching barrel, action and bottom metal and is a 1939 jp Sauer. 147. Finish seems good.

How much would a similar mixed parts Sauer go for?

Thanks guys.

Hope it's free, or next to free, or has something going for it like a matching bolt and receiver, or a rare receiver code.

You can get all the parts, and fix the rear sight, but the cost will add up quickly and usually is more than a comparable rifle bought whole.
^^This is true. Restoring old rifles is a labor of love. I did restore a 1903A3 once and that was enough for me. I spent so much time ordering parts from awful pictures and sending back rusted parts that didn't fit.. just wasn't worth the hassle and frustration. Maybe if I was retired and I had more time. IMO the golden age of milsurps is long over.

All this to say eBay is pretty good. Numrich sometimes has parts of dubious quality. You can do more research on Gunboards, quite a few experts on there. They may have a source for parts.

I will have to add things up carefully. The link to Sarco is helpful for the cost of parts.

The rifle is only matching barrel, action and bottom metal and is a 1939 jp Sauer. 147. Finish seems good.

How much would a similar mixed parts Sauer go for?

Thanks guys.
It depends. Using private person to person sales on forums here is what I see.

Russian capture mixmaster rifles are $850+ , you get a matching receiver+barrel. Everything else is likely a mix of other k98k parts.

Romanian capture rifles are usually bolt mismatched and have nazi symbols peened out. Probably $1000+

Matching rifles, $1500+

Decent stock will be $350+, rear sight $100, bands and spring about 50-75. Look at user tagmil on ebay, he has everything you would need. You want WaA37 marked parts for a 39 JPS.

You can reduce the money a little by using a RC stock or a reproduction stock. I used a reproduction walnut stock on my 38 BLM that was a sporter rescue that was barrel+receiver+bolt+trigger guard matching.

1665075652856.jpeg

Here is a thread with some walnut stocked 37-39 JPS rifles: https://www.k98kforum.com/threads/37-39-jps-gallery.3363/

Last Edited:
Thanks for sharing a picture. So purchasing for around $200-300 plus remilitarize cost would still add up to a more valuable rifle than a RC? I guess the unknown is how likely I am to succeed with a good rifle at the end.

Thanks for sharing a picture. So purchasing for around $200-300 plus remilitarize cost would still add up to a more valuable rifle than a RC? I guess the unknown is how likely I am to succeed with a good rifle at the end.
What exactly are you getting for that money? Do you have a picture?

Good rifle? How is the bore? That's the main factor in making a good rifle.

I think the base rifle is a good start with all the right markings on it. Its a clean not too hacked up sporterized rifle with the biggest hacks being the site and stock. Bore is not shiny but the rifling is clear. Seems like if I take my time it could be a cool project that would be around $900 if I go down that route.

I think the base rifle is a good start with all the right markings on it. Its a clean not too hacked up sporterized rifle with the biggest hacks being the site and stock. Bore is not shiny but the rifling is clear. Seems like if I take my time it could be a cool project that would be around $900 if I go down that route.
Yes, if you're starting at $200-$300, sure, you can put together a respectable rifle for less than $900.

So will it be worth around that amount? If I do it I wouldn't plan on getting rid of it.

Yes, around 300 plus minus a few bucks , yes it makes sense . Empire arms just sold a bunch of barreled actions for $250, and that was without a bolt. I'm assuming you have the bolt and the trigger guard and magazine plate and follower, so that's a plus. Make sure you factor in the cost of the work of soldering on a new rear sight .

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads