JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm ordering one of these from J&G Sales I'm also ordering two extra 13-round magazines for the sake of convenience. O of these battle-tested (9x18 Makarov)/police-carried ( and proven) DA/SA pistols should be a fun addition to my arsenal. Aside from that, It should make for a nice bit of "bad guy" repellant.

Opinions? Comments?

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Surplus Makarov above, new .380 below.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 10.42.54 PM.png

I've never fired one, but did hold a pristine example in my hands once. It is well made. Feels a little bigger than a Makarov PM due to the double stack magazine.

I would buy more of these Cold War era combloc pistols but the cheap steel cased 9x18 has vanished.

Today, the .380 (9mm Browning/9x17) is a decent self-defense round. I will not use hollowpoint ammunition in anything weaker than the 9mm Luger/Parabellum cartridge. To do so could result in inferior performance or disaster.

The fluted Lehigh solid copper projectile makes both the .32 ACP and 9mm Browning (.380) perform far better in a SHTF situation.

Enough said.

Why?

Now a days it's not that hard to find a 9mm handgun that would be "close enough" in size and weight.

But, of course, that is.......IF, you cared to go that route?

Aloha, Mark

Why?

Now a days it's not that hard to find a 9mm handgun that would be "close enough" in size and weight.

But, of course, that is.......IF, you cared to go that route?

Aloha, Mark
Mark:

I have a Kel Tec P11. It is fine, but I really like the heft and controllability of the CZ83 in 9mm Browning. I have two "plastic fantastic" handguns and like the weight and feel of steel.

I have a Zastava M70 in .32 ACP and really like it. With the added heft, I can accurately empty the CZ 83 in less time than it takes to tell, and, at 21 feet into a target the size of a soup bowl. 13-rounds dumped into a miscreant's chest will likely terminate his criminal tendencies forthwith.

I bought a vz.82 a number of years ago, I liked the way it fit my hand, was accurate, and being lefty, I wasn't used to a pistol that had controls on my side, like I was born again, still have a fair amount of surplus left. Fast forward, bought a very nice one from a NWF member a couple of years ago.

When I was thinking of getting one almost all of the magazines available were the "mfg CZ" magazines that are apparently crap made by a third party (maybe in the Czech Republic so the "mfg (in) CZ" mark isn't a complete lie); both kinds are sold as "original", "surplus", etc. If you have trouble with those look for some original mags. If the mag has a crossed swords stamp, hole where that stamp was, stamped indentations near the bottom, or lacks distinct seams running down the front and back, it's original. The used ones on Numrich were original but they stopped selling to Oregon at some point unless you have an FFL.

solv3nt,

Thank you. I believe that by loading this pistol with Underwood's 60-grain "Extreme Defender" .380 +p loads, the pistol's performance will rival that of a hollow point load in the .30 Super Carry round. (If it is stuffed in one of the S&W Shield pistols).

This well-made all-steel pistol will likely still be shooting long after the S&W Shield is "clapped out".

The defense... rests. :p:s0017:

For me.....
Well, maybe a little story will help to illustrate my view about adding a new caliber. And mind you, that I'm not saying that anyone has to agree here.

Story Time.....
So, my son recently purchased a S&W 44 mag. Lucky for him that he got some 44 special ammo with the purchase. Yup.....he's already shot all of it. So then, he quickly found out about the price of factory loaded ammo for it. *choke* And NOW, he figures that he'll reload ammo for it.

Yup....I'll be providing the powder and primers and lucky for him that I already have a carbide die set for it. He's currently searching for 44 mag. brass (new or used) and bullets. OMG.....sticker shock. Yup...it ain't cheap.

Of course.....you might just be thinking that smaller (.380) would be cheaper vs 9mm? Yeah....your source(s) may just be better. And, I'm not even mentioning, the availability factor. Cough, cough....

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
It's maddening that 380 is more than 9mm. I don't like it. It's also irritating that the Beretta 80x is 380, not 9mm. I mean come on, it can totally handle 9mm.

I have a 1991 Stainless Steel Charter Arms Bulldog chambered for the .44 S&W Special. I agree, the .44 Special is easier to shoot. Any heavy loads will result in sharp recoil, verging on being painful.

I enjoy my 5 handguns chambered for the 10mm Auto cartridge. The handgun that tames the stoutest of loads is my 6.5" barreled S&W Model 610 revolver.

When I carry my Zastava Model 70 (in 7.65mm Browning) I prefer to run either hot European 73-grain Fiocchi ammunition or Underwood's "Extreme Defender". (When it absolutely, positively has to be DRT).

Unfortunately, .380 ( AKA 9mm Kurtz) is far more popular then 9X18 Mak, and the good ammo is all gone, so it's a reloader only now. I absolutely LOVE my CZ-82's but with the ammo all dried up and no longer imported, were screwed!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top