JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've shot one.

Just like an AK suppressed there is a very loud pop from the piston.

Never had one back blast! Kind of a Myth, especially the FAL, if it's over gassed, it simply blows it out the adjuster behind the front sight! Don't remember a M-21 ever over gassing, I guess they could! They do need the gas system cleaned out a little more regularly though, especially the FAL, it tends to plug up the gas plug pretty good!

I carried a suppressed M-21 for many years, pretty slick but a bit long!
Still, I run a suppressed FAL these days, same issue, it's pretty long!:)
Get a paratrooper and suppress that. Problem solved!
Never had one back blast! Kind of a Myth, especially the FAL, if it's over gassed, it simply blows it out the adjuster behind the front sight! Don't remember a M-21 ever over gassing, I guess they could! They do need the gas system cleaned out a little more regularly though, especially the FAL, it tends to plug up the gas plug pretty good!
The M14's gas system bleeds off excess gas, well as much excess as it can. It was one of the improvements over the M1 Garand.

Get a paratrooper and suppress that. Problem solved!

The M14's gas system bleeds off excess gas, well as much excess as it can. It was one of the improvements over the M1 Garand.
Supposedly the self adjusting gas system can compensate for the additional pressures, as long as it isn't above the systems threshold, they do get awfully sensitive with sub sonics, effectively turning it into a very fancy bolt action, but that can have benefits too!

Supposedly the self adjusting gas system can compensate for the additional pressures, as long as it isn't above the systems threshold, they do get awfully sensitive with sub sonics, effectively turning it into a very fancy bolt action, but that can have benefits too!
Pretty much, which is why you most likely won't get gas face. DI ARs have gas face (unless tuned to not have it), my guess is AKs will, Tavors have em, AUGs don't, typically piston ARs don't.

But there's no rule set in stone with this stuff.

......The M14's gas system bleeds off excess gas, well as much excess as it can. It was one of the improvements over the M1 Garand.
Actually, it doesn't bleed it off, it cuts off the incoming gas. After the piston has moved a short distance it closes off the gas port. After the piston has gone its travel under the force of the trapped gas, then it vents the trapped gas.

Actually, it doesn't bleed it off, it cuts off the incoming gas. After the piston has moved a short distance it closes off the gas port. After the piston has gone its travel under the force of the trapped gas, then it vents the trapped gas.
Sounds like bleeding it to me. o_O Whichever semantics work, excess not going back to receiver is still the end result.

Granted I tend to get off in the weeds more than most on these things. I've studied a lot of various gun mechanisms for a long time and I find a lot of the design nuances interesting. The M14 system is sorta unique in that it actually closes off the gas port in the barrel after the op rod has moved a very short distance. During this brief time, a limited volume of gas is trapped under the piston and that continues to push the op rod. It gives a pretty smooth push from the expanding gas and automatically limits the amount of gas based on how fast it moves the piston.

Systems like the FAL apply gas to the piston the whole time after the bullet has passed the gas port and can be manually adjusted to limit the force by opening a leak in the side of the gas cylinder and venting gas.

There are other systems like the SVT-40 that control gas by manually changing an orifice size in the gas port to adjust for different ammunition. Different ways of skinning the cat.

Kinda Sorta, on the FAL, after the Piston moves about 1/4 inch, there are ports in the cylinder to bleed off extra gas after the main gas pulse has driven the piston back, it's a sort of over pressure release system, and later FAL drive systems use a short piston cylinder to further bleed off gas!

Kinda Sorta, on the FAL, after the Piston moves about 1/4 inch, there are ports in the cylinder to bleed off extra gas after the main gas pulse has driven the piston back, it's a sort of over pressure release system, and later FAL drive systems use a short piston cylinder to further bleed off gas!
The purpose of Steyr using the short tube vs standard length was because gas would eventually leak through the threads of the standard length gas tube. Steyr solved this issue on the STG-58 by soldering on the gas tube to prevent gas from leaking. The original tube required to have some play as well to prevent the piston and spring from dragging. Shortening the gas tube eliminated potential drag.

Suffice to say, that excess gas would bleed off quick with the short tube, but the main reasons of it were the previously mentioned points. That being said, only the Austrians (and by extent DSA who got license from Steyr) use the short gas tube.

Mine is pretty quiet. I do get a bit of gas in the face. I put an adjustable gas plug on it without much difference.

It's the back pressure from the can forcing gas back down the barrel after the action has opened up. They make a little deflector to put behind the action to help.

0A0B69E5-8C9C-419C-9CFA-892476831451.jpeg I got one. All I did was install an adjustable gas plug and a threaded gas lock.

Short barrel M2 Carbines with cans do not work. Lots of gas in the face. Not comfy. The USGI Carbine shell deflector is supposed to reduce the gas blow back into the eyes but I for one have never tried such.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And All BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top