JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone else tired of the same user listing a seperate add for each item? The regulars are all good, we have respect. But this is getting rediculous. One page filled with adds from just 2 users seems a bit much. I could take up a few pages with multi adds myself. This should be a guideline,mods?

I do a separate add for each item.

I prefer it when others do the same.

If I see an add that just says "rifles for sale" or something to that effect, I wont take the time to look through it.
Really, you cant just bundle a few things together and still fit them in the header?
I have an entire driveway filled with gravel I may want to get rid of, I bet you'd change your mind if I listed each stone separately.
After seeing the last few goofy things go down in the FS section, I really feel sorry for what the mods here have to deal with. :s0092:

I agree with the firearms adds. Most users dont have multiple firearms non stop for sale. If they did ,well big bro would have a chat with them i would think. Although in the parts section is where the real issue lies.

You can fit one or two, but it gets cluttered.

I just prefer an add for each item being sold.

Looking at the first page of the rifle and handgun classifieds, out of ~40 adds there is one person who has two f/s threads.
This is truly a non-issue.

Agree for the most part. I think there was someone selling a few identical scopes in multiple threads not long ago. That would make sense to condense.

I usually browse titles so condensing a few things into one ad makes it so I'm less likely to open your ad.

Now that this is in the right spot, I would say that ads for multiple items does a disservice to the buyers and the seller. Sure, there are people that love digging through a bunch of garbage hoping to find something of value but there's a reason most people don't shop at the goodwill outlet store. If all parts are for the same weapon or multiples of the same thing (stocks, scopes, sights) then it makes sense, but a random hodge podge? Not wasting my time...

Multiple item listings should be compressed as much as possible into one thread. Break it up by group if you have to, but some people have a lot of things they're clearing out. Honestly, I don't know anyone who wants to see almost an entire page of the parts section as a nearly unbroken list of part by part threads for one member's gun gear sale. Allowing that permits one member to monopolize the entire first page. This isn't just one person but there are times when you go into the part section and a member's list of items he is selling is like a wall. Making it worse is that random members ask questions within the thread and the member replies within the thread. This creates a dynamic where one member's multiple threads get to push other stuff off the first page quickly.

While I understand Bennyhonda's point about not wanting to sort through a "random hodgepodge" of odds and ends, it's silly to have separate listings for each part. If a person is too busy to look at a thread with multiple items, that's OK. Plenty of others will look.

One thing that should be addressed is people answering questions within their own thread and then intentionally bumping their thread to the top in a separate post before a week has passed. I prefer the way M4carbine.net handles their Classifieds section. Only the member who posted the item can post in his Classifieds thread. All questions, comments, etc. must be PM or email. Following their model should help cut down on the issue we saw here a few days ago with another member bumping his own ad by pretending to be a different person via a sock puppet account. It also would eliminate "buddy bumping."

Asking a question on the thread, perhaps something the seller neglected to put in his ad, may help people viewing the add so the seller won't need to reply to a dozen PMs asking the same question. I learn things on adds where people are asking for info, within the general rules of course.

Adds will be pushed to another page one way or another, is it really such a problem to click on the "2" and go to the second page? Looking at the time of the last post on a thread tells the viewer what time of what day he's looking back too, what does it matter if it's on page two, three, four or....?

There are a lot different users here, some of them aren't going to do it the way some other people think they should, by the time people have typed up a bunch of complaints in a thread like this......Well, there's a bunch of time you could have been doing something constructive. I just kinda' accept it for what it is. Now, if someone could do something about this DA##ED RAIN!

Mike

While I understand asking and answering a question within a thread, it presents problems. Sometimes the seller doesn't list the crucial info, i.e. that he's selling a refurbished firearm from factory. As a potential buyer, I'd appreciate knowing that. It helps me judge value and determine whether or not I want to buy it. However, if someone steps in and says it's a refurb or police trade in or whatever, is the person providing helpful info or "thread capping" and messing up the sale? To me as a potential buyer, it's useful info. To the seller, it's not helpful. However, if the poster is wrong and it's not a trade-in or refurb it becomes a mess. Having debates about what it is or isn't probably should not be taking place within the thread.

Earlier in the week someone was selling a Sig P226 but accidentally listed it as a P229. There were several posts regarding what the pistol was. This can be handled in a better way. The seller can be sent a PM or email and the seller can answer the question and then if it's an important detail the seller neglected to mention or stated incorrectly in the ad, the seller can edit the ad. In the case of the mislabeled Sig, the seller edited the ad to reflect what it actually was that he was selling but then bumped his own listing by adding a new post to thank everyone for pointing out his error.

The thing that seems messed up is when the question gets asked returning the item to the top for the day, the seller answers the question the next day returning the item to the top for a second day, and then the seller follows this up with a bump to top within a day or two because he always bumps his ads to the top on Monday (or whatever day his weekly bump day is). While other stuff gets pushed off the first page during the week, this approach allows people to keep their stuff on the first page for three of the seven days in a week. While I can understand the ask and answer thing, it's that third bump before a week has passed that's really not fair to the other members who are trying to play by the rules.

As far as stuff going to page two or three or four, the issue isn't that people can't click to find stuff or run searches. Of course they can. The issue is that people take advantage of how the classifieds are supposed to work and monopolize the best space for their stuff. If letting stuff drift off the first page didn't matter very much because people can search through pages of ads, no one would bump anything to the top. You can go to any forum with a classifieds section and you'll see that sellers want their stuff on the first page because that's the first thing people see when they enter the classifieds section.

One gun one add, two guns two adds, never ruined my day.

Like items should be group into single posts so you don't have issue like today in parts where the first 5 posts are same member all with a bunch of, as they say, "crap" for sale.

And there is nothing wrong with LEGITIMATE questions in the classifieds. And no the OP doesn't have to, and SHOULD NOT bump the ad to answer. There's this great button on every post you make labeled edit. Edit the first post and tada, problem solved.

FYI- Nice gun, wish I could afford, good luck buddy, etc are not legitimate questions.

I am currently selling personally un needed items off in batches.. also many items are not gun related and I list them separately so they get noticed via the specific headline

If I have a nice stack of gun items I try to make a larger ad with everything included
I too would like the ability as the thread starter (in the classifieds) to remove thread dumps.. some really dumb and way off topic or out of line comments have been posted and they are like turds in a punch bowl

I too would like the ability as the thread starter (in the classifieds) to remove thread dumps.. some really dumb and way off topic or out of line comments have been posted and they are like turds in a punch bowl

Either report them or send a mod a PM and we will clean them up for you.

Like items should be group into single posts so you don't have issue like today in parts where the first 5 posts are same member all with a bunch of, as they say, "crap" for sale.

And there is nothing wrong with LEGITIMATE questions in the classifieds. And no the OP doesn't have to, and SHOULD NOT bump the ad to answer. There's this great button on every post you make labeled edit. Edit the first post and tada, problem solved.

FYI- Nice gun, wish I could afford, good luck buddy, etc are not legitimate questions.

Since I'm usually the only person who lists his stuff as "crap", I'm guessing your post was directed at me.

First off, I bumped three ads in the parts section yesterday, not five. So not only do you spend more time than any other member here complaining about trivial stuff, you exaggerate things as well.

While a lot of the stuff listed in my parts ads are sold now, if I had made a separate ad for each one when I first listed them, the first two pages of the parts section would have been all my ads, and people like you (who seem to do nothing but complain about stuff that really isn't an issue in the first place) would still be bubbleguming anyways.

I've been getting rid of a lot of extra stuff lately. A lot of it is in boxes, so I as I go through stuff, I list it. I try and put as much stuff into each ad as possible, whether it makes a hodge podge of crap that some people don't want to look through or not. If you're so bothered by my ads (or other people's ads), add me to your ignore list. Then you can find something else to bubblegum about.

bubblegum.jpg

bubblegum.jpg

I for one would have an easier time without the classifieds due to the reporting of posts that do not need reported. Some people that have been held accountable to the rules at one point or another seem to go all out reporting posts that do not need to be due to their hurt feelings which takes time to sift through. I for one did not join the site for the classifieds but it is a nice addition. I see threads like this continue to pop up and the only reason is because someone gets upset due to their ads being pushed to the second page too fast. Well I have a news flash we have almost 20,000 members now and that is around five times as many as when I joined so I would expect my ads to move to the back pretty quickly due to the fact that most just are here for the classifieds anyway.

I for one did not join the site for the classifieds but it is a nice addition. I see threads like this continue to pop up and the only reason is because someone gets upset due to their ads being pushed to the second page too fast. Well I have a news flash we have almost 20,000 members now and that is around five times as many as when I joined so I would expect my ads to move to the back pretty quickly due to the fact that most just are here for the classifieds anyway.

Honestly, I think you're missing the point. You say you have threads like this continuing to pop up. That should be an indication a real issue exists. Attributing a problem that is essentially misconduct to whiners and an increase in membership doesn't make sense. Yes, new members might simply click through the agreement and rules without reading them. Yes, more new members means more opportunities for people to screw up. And yes, more people has led to more activity in the classifieds. That said, people are fine when their stuff legitimately drifts from page one to page two or beyond. People get upset when others are getting away with gaming the system. Look at the thread with the guy using his sock puppet account to bump his ad to the top early. There are some people in that thread who are righteously happy that a member got caught cheating and lying and then got banned for it. Are they whiners or do you think they had a valid reason to be upset with the guy who was bounced?

For what it's worth, I have served as a moderator elsewhere and normally the classifieds section are easy. If you set up a clear policy and enforce it, people follow it. If they don't, they're gone. It almost doesn't matter what the rules are so long as you are consistent with enforcement. If enforcement is inconsistent of course you're going to get people complaining about you popping them and not the other guy. If I had a forum with a classifieds section that was only for gun parts, and I pop you for listing scuba gear but I let another member's listing for camping gear stand, I should expect to hear complaints and know they're going to be valid.

There's no way around it. Being a moderator is a time commitment. Whenever there is a complaint, it takes time to address. If you are overwhelmed by it, perhaps you guys should start bringing aboard some members you trust to help shoulder the load. You have over 4,000 posts. I bet there are some people you interact regularly with who could handle the responsibility.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews