JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So built my first AR w help from Curts 223/556 pretty low end which I'm cool w but stopped by today picked up another complete lower w better trigger and butt stock than the first and wanna take a little more time and money finishing it, I wanna do a different caliber and I'm trying to decide between 762x39 or 300 blackout . I'm not a hunter just wanna have a new toy w different feel any input welcomed
Thanks!

7.62x39 AR intrigues me because the ammo is much more affordable than 300bo. I have however heard of relaibility issue with 7.62 in the AR platform? Curious to know if that is a thing of the past. Anyway good luck 1 leads to 2 which leads to 12...:)

7.62x39 AR intrigues me because the ammo is much more affordable than 300bo. I have however heard of relaibility issue with 7.62 in the AR platform? Curious to know if that is a thing of the past. Anyway good luck 1 leads to 2 which leads to 12...:)
Amen and I know the question I asked was very subjective but I am curious !

I'd say if you're considering 7.62x39 or .300blk I'd vote .300blk due to 7.62x39 being known for reliability issues. How about sticking with the .223/5.56 and say building a pistol or maybe a full-length rifle?

The nice thing about sticking with one caliber is being able to interchange parts and mags, one kind of ammo to buy.

I would only go 300 if you reload.

7.62x39 is cool, but not sure about reliability or qty of parts. I'm just ignorant to it.

My vote for you, which seems entirely arbitrary as i do not know you, is for a 7.62x39. What would be the advantage of blackout over 308 for you, personally? Do you reload? I guess if you did then you could use your 223/556 brass and load it to blackout specs?

and even easier choice to make might just be building another 223/556 but design it with a different "purpose" in mind. I have only built two, one of which is a very boring but extremely reliable 16" basically mil-spec rifle while my tinker toy is my 10.5" pistol that i am always testing fitting with different fun-bits that don't do much functionality wise, but are merely an excuse to wait by the mailbox like a little kid.

The nice thing about sticking with one caliber is being able to interchange parts and mags, one kind of ammo to buy.

I would only go 300 if you reload.

7.62x39 is cool, but not sure about reliability or qty of parts. I'm just ignorant to it.

Having the same ammo and mags is a GREAT point, didn't think of that.

I did that too.
I bought a 16" carbine, then built a 24" beast, then a 7.5" pistol, and a 20" rifle.
All take the same mags, whoo

Same reason I have a Glock 17, G34, and G26. All the same mags.
(Just need a G19)

Aaaaaand then a 16" AR10 in .308.

Rock River Arms R3 Competition Upper | PK Firearms
How about a quality RRA 18 inch 223/556. Great performance
for the money. My $.02.:rolleyes:
RRA_R3_Competition_Upper_3.jpg

I'm asking here
Are the reliability issues with the x39 depending on the lower and mags? If you get a AK mag lower and mags,are there still problems?
Anyway, the ballistics of the 300 and the 7.62x39 are very similar. So the only real reason to go blackout is sub sonic and a can. Especially if you don't reload.
You can, however, use the same mags with the 300 and the 556.
Just make sure you mark them;)
Depending on what kind of shooting you do,there are many other calibers to consider.

So built my first AR w help from Curts 223/556 pretty low end which I'm cool w but stopped by today picked up another complete lower w better trigger and butt stock than the first and wanna take a little more time and money finishing it, I wanna do a different caliber and I'm trying to decide between 762x39 or 300 blackout . I'm not a hunter just wanna have a new toy w different feel any input welcomed
Thanks!
If it's just going to be a range gun, you want a different caliber and don't reload, then 7.62x39 would be the logical choice.
There can be feeding issues due to the Commie round's steep taper and there can be primer strike problems due to hard Commie primer cups.
Both conditions can be solved with good mags and an enhanced firing pin.

You're buying complete lowers, so you haven't tried to build yet and the nuances of getting 7.62x39 to run will force you to learn more about the platform.

For instance :
Best gas system length
Best barrel length
Which firing pin
Which magazines
Which BCG
Which buffer
Which spring

It's all quite easy IF you do your research.
If you want plug 'n play, you'll have to just pay the man.

I would vote 300bo. x39 has inconsistent reliability on the ar platform, uses different mags, different bolts and BCGs and does not have the bullet diversity that 300bo has.

I agree with @MilitantBEEMER, 1 leads to 2 ... 12.

Pick something that is interesting to you now. You can always unload it if it turns out to be too much of a hassle.

I've had a 300Blkout pistol build that has been waiting, even though I've all the parts. I've been building on the 5.56 and then one of my kids turn 18 and they know I'll teach them to build their lower and the next thing I know, I've got another set of rifles of various length. The middle kid just asked me the other day, if there was another build to do before we go out to the coastal range this spring. So, I may let him build that 300Blkout pistol.

I also have a AR10 lower that's been biding it's time, just too much fun with 5.56. I've bought all of my strip lowers and complete barreled uppers from PSA, never had any issue with the quality. This is going on more than 4 years now.

QFT. I still hate AR's (I prefer old-school wood-and-metal that can put yer lights out with a good buttstroke, but those old WWII-spec Garands and Carbines don't do well with the short-armed), but even with that after building my first I have build-plans for half a dozen more in the research phase. o_O :confused:

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but I plan on looking into the CMP so that I can get my hands on an M1,then I can make my kids stand out back in the rain with the heavy rifle over their heads running in place, for fun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top