JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So its going to be a long while before my first suppressor gets out of ATF jail but I want to make sure I have some appropriate ammo on hand for when it does.

At the gun show last weekend one of the venders had a big pile of Gemtech subsonic .22LR. It was quite spendy (I think $65-$70 a brick). Anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth searching some out? Any subsonic ammo that stands out as good fodder for suppressors?

What about standard velocity stuff? I assume there are at least a few that at least in short barrel stuff remain subsonic?

I shoot target and all of my bullets are subsonic. Reason being I don't the bullet going sub just as it's getting to a 100 yd target. The transition destabilizes the bullet and is not much good for accuracy. Having the bullet fly subsonic from muzzle to target greatly enhances accuracy. There is a down side to it though. The bullet tends to have more hang time or time to allow outside influences to act upon it. We spend more time allowing for shot to shot windage than anything else.

You are right in that price range for the cheaper subsonic bullets but I'd take a look at SKS or Wolf .22LR as they usually run around 1080 fps or so and are quiet as well as accurate. The Remington and Winchester tends to be really lousy ammo for the same price.

A buddy has a fully silenced, full auto 10-22 that is so quiet using Federal 550 Bulk .22LR that all you hear is the sound of the rounds hitting the target and the brass hitting the ground. Just a fun gun to plink with.

First question would be what is your #1 host firearm going to be?
If pistol then any ammo will be Subsonic so don't worry about it but if a rifle then that is a different story.
In my Savage FV-SR Aguila Subsonic 38gr Hollow Points are like a laser and just about as quiet. But really anything Standard Velocity and below is quieter than a pellet gun.
These are my top 2 for accuracy reasons, Aguila Subsonic Hollow Point 38gr and CCI Subsonic Hollow Point 40gr (non-segmented). Both are dead on accurate but the Aguila are the most quiet (in my rifle with my Suppressor)

Most bulk pack I have tried stay subsonic in my 4.5" barrel .22 AR, and in my .22 pistols - but in my 16" AR, they go super sonic. I've had some normal .22 that doesn't go super in the rifle too. Temperature seems to make a difference as well. I have some subsonic .22 but I hardly ever shoot it.

My Charger's cycle and shoot all the Subsonic ammo I have and I even have the Power Custom extra power recoil springs in them. (Original with Tactical Solutions 5.5" barrel and the new Takedown version)
I would say just get some good standard velocity/target ammo as long as it is 1080 fps and below for the takedown and charger and you will be happy.
The SR22 use what ever you want and it will be quite.

I am getting bored of shooting 22 lr on pistol and SBR rifle. They are more quiet than nails gun. I dont feel the power of shooting 22lr any longer. Now I am enjoy shooting 7.62x39 suppressed.

I have a bunch of cci std velocity to try on my tactical solutions axiom. I also have a 10-22 take down (stock barrel just threaded). I will be testing it out today. I'll let you know how it does.

I happen to have 3 bricks of that CCI Quiet-22. It is already supposed to be near 65dB. I'm wondering what it will sound like with my Octane45 when it finally arrives. I'm looking forward to doing some shooting in my subdivision backyard with that combo. With a silencer, really quiet ammo and a bolt rifle, I bet it won't even make much of a sound at all beyond the clicks of me dropping the trigger or working the bolt.

Any thoughts?

There is a lot about suppressors no one ever tells you but you will figure it out over time and shooting through it for a while. Lots of the full auto guys have them for their guns and it's very interesting how it all works or doesn't work.

I also had some cci quiet.
With the bolt held closed all you really heard was the firing pin click, then the thwack of the bullet hitting.

I still can't wipe the smile off my face. It was so worth the time waiting and money spent.

I want another rimfire can and host so other people can shoot with me.

Liberty Kodiak TL can on all---
Ruger MkIII. The one with the short barrel and factory threading:
Any bulk pack will stay sub-sonic. I like Federal AutoMatch.

Ruger 10-22. Tac-Sol SBX barrel:
Bulk pack stays sub-sonic about 40% of the time.
CCI sub-sonic cycles fine with stock springs.
Aguilla sub sonic doesn't cycle reliably.

Savage FV-SR:
Bulk pack is not sub-sonic.
CCI and Aguilla work fine, In MY rifle Aguilla is
slightly more accurate.

I also had some cci quiet.
With the bolt held closed all you really heard was the firing pin click, then the thwack of the bullet hitting.

I still can't wipe the smile off my face. It was so worth the time waiting and money spent.

I want another rimfire can and host so other people can shoot with me.
You're starting down the slippery slope that is NFA ownership.

I agree with both statements. It was also worth the waiting time and $ to me too. I did buy a second .22LR can and have several hosts for them. Then I bought a M11-9 and a can for it, then another can for 9mm FA shooting, then a MAC10-45...... I don't know when it will all stop.:cool:

Standard velocity works fine in a 16" barrel. Go longer though and it will crack. I have a 22" barrel rifle and the standard cracks every shot, have to use subs,,,

Really, you get extra velocity from more inches over 16? I totally believe you, I'm just wondering what that means. I think BBTI (Ballistics by the Inch) has the 18-inch barrel length as the max length before most 22 loads begin to slow down again from friction. I actually cut my 22-inch American Rimfire down to 18 inches since the extra 4 inches wouldn't help with velocity anyway. Maybe that load is on the threshold at 16", super by 18" and it stays super until well more than 22".

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top