JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are you guys using to store range brass? Right now I have 5 4"x12" cardboard boxes full of range brass ready to prep but as I continue to acquire more I'm starting to run out of space and a good way of organizing all of it. I like to keep my brass organized by date, location fired, firearm used so I need something that can hold roughly 300-500 rounds at a time but easy to stack and not take up a large amount of space.

I no longer load for many calibers as it's not worth it to me. I do keep all the stuff to roll them though in case of another panic. Use plastic Pails that have lids for it. One kid still has a cat so can get all I want of the buckets with a lid. They stack up easily so they take up little room in garage. You can get these in many different sizes.

There is an ice cream store in Newport that sells their old Tilly 3 gallon buckets for $1. They hold 300 shotgun hulls and who knows how many pistol brass. Plus they are cool. But for most brass I use coffee cans. Low tech. Old school.

Clean brass, I store in Rubbermaid shoe bin sized clear plastic boxes stacked on a shelves in my loading area. Dirty brass, I sort and put in gallon ziplock freezer bags held within a 5 gallon bucket when I return from a range outing until I have time to clean them, and then refill the Rubbermaid bins.

Empty plastic ammo boxes, I store on another shelf until I load rounds and fill the boxes that are stored in an ammo safe until they are used.

530BE1EE-3C38-431A-8815-2D49D7BC07B2.jpeg 955C4787-4CD0-4186-A4E8-29726D9304C6.jpeg

Last Edited:
I went to Winco, they have these nice nesting plastic bowls for dirty brass that start at like 12" diameter and go down to about 4".

Depending on the type and quantity of brass, they work wonders to hold the brass until I can process.

I like to keep my brass organized by date, location fired, firearm used

Assuming they are already separated by cartridge type (caliber, design), I wonder how important these issues are. Date and location fired, not too important. More important, case brand and number of times fired, if known. If you are loading to one specific firearm (typically a rifle) where you are neck sizing only, yes, then you'd want to keep these separate but most people who do this don't store stuff in bulk. They would use 20, 50 or maybe 100 round boxes with internal dividers for each cartridge.

For bulk storage, square or rectangle shape is more efficient. For years, I've used cottage cheese containers. Which are round and take up more space, but are cheap. They are smooth inside, made of plastic so won't absorb moisture. Mostly I have 16 oz. and 24 oz. When you get into margarine tubs, the sizes go up.

I don't store un-prepped brass very long. I try to keep all my in ready to load condition. I do have a reserve of .30-06 standing by that hasn't been prepped yet, but only because I have so much already on hand that is ready to load.

I've said this before, I don't load up every ready case that I have into finished ammo. I keep most of it in components until shortly before I plan to expend it. For a couple of reasons. Plans change, people die. If it comes to a liquidation situation, more money can be gotten out of components than somebody else's reloads. The other issue is kinda political. If your home were to be visited by the police for whatever reason and they found a large cache of loaded ammo, it would be a big deal. "They found an arsenal" is a headline we've seen before. If they come in and find a bunch of reloading stuff, it's pretty obvious that "the guy was an enthusiast, he made his own shells." Just my opinion.

Clean brass, I store in Rubbermaid shoe bin sized clear plastic boxes stacked on a shelves in my loading area. Dirty brass, I sort and put in gallon ziplock freezer bags held within a 5 gallon bucket when I return from a range outing until I have time to clean them, and then refill the Rubbermaid bins.
This right here concerning the Rubbermaid clear shoe bins.
$1 each most of the time and you can get over 2,000 9mm cases in one box. Maybe closer to 3,000.

Assuming they are already separated by cartridge type (caliber, design), I wonder how important these issues are. Date and location fired, not too important. More important, case brand and number of times fired, if known. If you are loading to one specific firearm (typically a rifle) where you are neck sizing only, yes, then you'd want to keep these separate but most people who do this don't store stuff in bulk. They would use 20, 50 or maybe 100 round boxes with internal dividers for each cartridge.

For bulk storage, square or rectangle shape is more efficient. For years, I've used cottage cheese containers. Which are round and take up more space, but are cheap. They are smooth inside, made of plastic so won't absorb moisture. Mostly I have 16 oz. and 24 oz. When you get into margarine tubs, the sizes go up.

I don't store un-prepped brass very long. I try to keep all my in ready to load condition. I do have a reserve of .30-06 standing by that hasn't been prepped yet, but only because I have so much already on hand that is ready to load.

I've said this before, I don't load up every ready case that I have into finished ammo. I keep most of it in components until shortly before I plan to expend it. For a couple of reasons. Plans change, people die. If it comes to a liquidation situation, more money can be gotten out of components than somebody else's reloads. The other issue is kinda political. If your home were to be visited by the police for whatever reason and they found a large cache of loaded ammo, it would be a big deal. "They found an arsenal" is a headline we've seen before. If they come in and find a bunch of reloading stuff, it's pretty obvious that "the guy was an enthusiast, he made his own shells." Just my opinion.
Lots of good info here too.

5 gallon buckets;)

5-gallon buckets with matching lids from Lowe's or Home Depot for dirty bulk brass.

Yah, 5g buckets are easiest & handy for all kinds of other storage as well.

With some looking online they can be had used even less expensive than HD/Lowe's. Check craigslist, or your local bakeries & restaurants.

Picked up a bunch like such from some LDS friends of ours for a few dollars ea with the lids. Required an easy cleaning, as they contained sauces & such. Just set them out in the rain and added some bleach, then air dried them under our awning.

Don't want to haul all the weight of 5g of brass? Simply don't fill them as much...:)

NB: for further organizing some (bolt gun, semi, manufacture etc etc) I use gallon freezer ziplocks and sharpie marker them. Ziplocks in the buckets.

Last Edited:
I have tupperware like semi see through containers from Walmart. The one I use the most is like 3 1/4" high 7 1/4" wide and about 11 1/4" long.

They were about $3 each. They are made by Sterilite. If bought on Walmart.com they are about half price from buying one off the shelf.
They hold around 250 preppped 30/06 pieces of brass.
They stack real nice and has a handle the clicks on top thathods the top in place when stacked.
I bought a Dymo label maker from Walmat and have all of my containers marked by caliber. I have two pieces of wire closet shelving to hold these containers so i'm not digging clear to tue bottom for whats down on the bottom.
All this brass is prepped and ready to load.
20181107_184844.jpg

I pick up three gallon plastic buckets fron the safeway bakery that they get pastry filling and iceing in. They wash them and are ready to use right when you recieve them. Sometimes I will get five gallon buckets if I need any that big. I use them to storre uncleaned range brass and cleaned but unprepped brass in. I label the tops and the buckets with the caliber and a piece of paper taped on by the label with what was done to the brass if anything.

I don't do the coffee cans or mix & match plastic containers cottage cheese, sour cream & all the rest of them come in.

I can see in my containers and have a visual of how full they are. If I get low I will grab some brass from the plastic buckets & fill them back up.

I have a shelf above the door for smaller Sterilite containers of calibers I hardly ever shoot.
No need to waste space.

20181028_103248.jpg

Last Edited:
Bimarts have these on sale all the time. They stack well and take weight well.

upload_2019-6-20_13-0-10.jpeg

If you filled that 23 gallon tote up with brass it would weigh over 200 pounds. Brass weighs about ten pounds per gallon.
They have smaller versions. I don't think the ones I have are 23 gallon. Maybe 5-8 gallon. I'll stop being lazy and take a picture later.

I tried bins and boxes but my brass stash is in a constant state of flux moving between sorting and being processed and primed, until I'm ready to finish the loading which then goes to ammo cans.
So now I prefer to use quart and gallon zip-loc bags because they expand and contract to the quantity I have at the time, and will easily mold to space available, and not take up storage space with lidded and usually mismatched size boxes potentially full of just air.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top