JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I had just completed a Saiga conversion build and it was stolen from a locked case in my truck yesterday. This gun was days old... I am confident this was a targeted theft within my development but you never know where is will end up.
Please Keep your eye out and contact me if you come across it. 253-778-0942 THANK YOU
Specs:
Saiga Converted
Chambered in .223
14" Barrel With an UNPINNED comp ( rifle was just picked up from a gunsmith and we where undecided what was going to be on the rifle long term)
Full Rail
Magpul MOE Stock with Riser
Magpul MOE Grip

You wont miss this rifle in a crowd! Needless to say I am none to pleased (putting it lightly) and determined to find it.

Thank you again for any help you can provide

I am located in Pierce County and it has been reported

AK.jpg

If you have the serial number I'd post it up so we all know it .
location where it was stolen from , anything that would I.D. it as your's not including serial number
anything that would help will help
I think all the folks on here are honest in the area of this type crime

It depends on how you look at it, the comp brings it to 16.1 but because it has not been pinned and welded as stayed you can say that. But given the rifle is unfired and days old in this form the work just had not been done yet. I just had not decided what comp was going to live on the rifle long term before I made the investment. Just being honest given the circumstances.

So as long as I have an appropriate comp in my pocket or with a rifle I am "building" I can posess an SBR? I hate to say this OP but if you get the wrong law enforcement official you could be in a world of hurt. Posession of an SBR is a major crime. If someone licensed to work on it had it stolen from their shop then I could see you not really being liable for it but you were in posession of an SBR and had it in your vehicle with the stock attached.

You could easily be prosecuted for that. (not that I think you should be-don't get me wrong). If I were pulled over with an SBR in the trunk of my vehicle and no pinned extension, I could be prosecuted by the state of WA and Federally. It has happened before.

Just letting people out there know. Imagine being caught with a suppressor that you didn't have paperwork for? I would get a lawyer.

I can apreciate your concern and advise but I assume the risk in both having possessed the rifle and acknowledging its current condition. I was just being honest, the rifle was unfired and was going to remain as such until made NFA complient.

Alright just to clarify so that folks here are aware of the federal statutes involved so they do not think this is considered "OK" by law enforcement.

Simple posession of an NFA item is a Federal offense (without the appropriate paperwork). This is true regardless of whether you are being honest or if the weapon has ever been discharged or you had the intent to discharge it.

If and when Pierce County or another local agency recovers your rifle in a search (or commission of a crime), they are going to see that it is an SBR and are bound by Federal law to report it to the ATF. They will.

At that point, you will be dealing with them in regards to the NFA staus of your rifle. I just want people here to know this is serious and will VERY likely result in charges being brought on you. The rifle being unfired has no bearing on the situation and if I were you I would assume that there is a 100% chance that if the rifle is found you will be prosecuted federally. Especially since this justice dept is "cracking down" on both dealers and owners for violations of the NFA.

I know this first hand and know the law. you need to get an attorney ASAP and anyone reading this be forewarned.

Sounds like the gunsmith doesn't care too much for the law or you if he let you have that nfa without paperwork. Maybe he was just high and forgot the laws, it's Washington after all.

sent from Lazernote

I was wondering when this was going to come up. Good luck, OP. I believe you, but I hope law enforcement doesn't find that rifle before the theif pins the comp on there for you.

Good looking AK, BTW.

As bad as the above sounds I'm pretty sure OP is in a bad spot. Loosing a gun and having said gun be illegal. OP I hate to say it, it may be worth deleting this thread. Removing that picture. Clearing your data. Burn your computer. Leave the state.

Just kidding.

I'd call the police and let them know. Better yet call the police and throw the gunsmith under the bus. Sounds like he was aiding in the build, then report it stolen.

I have made this post in full disclosure and 100% honesty and stand on that marrit. I have council and am well affiliated with LEO's in this county and neighboring. It maybe out of bad taste to some but I have reported this firearm stolen exactly as in have listed it here because I felt it important. Thanks for your support and keeping your heads on a swivel.

Alright just to clarify so that folks here are aware of the federal statutes involved so they do not think this is considered "OK" by law enforcement.

Simple posession of an NFA item is a Federal offense (without the appropriate paperwork). This is true regardless of whether you are being honest or if the weapon has ever been discharged or you had the intent to discharge it.

If and when Pierce County or another local agency recovers your rifle in a search (or commission of a crime), they are going to see that it is an SBR and are bound by Federal law to report it to the ATF. They will.

At that point, you will be dealing with them in regards to the NFA staus of your rifle. I just want people here to know this is serious and will VERY likely result in charges being brought on you. The rifle being unfired has no bearing on the situation and if I were you I would assume that there is a 100% chance that if the rifle is found you will be prosecuted federally. Especially since this justice dept is "cracking down" on both dealers and owners for violations of the NFA.

I know this first hand and know the law. you need to get an attorney ASAP and anyone reading this be forewarned.

Very well stated. I would just like to add one more thing. You mentioned "intent". The ATF has a catch all charge called "constructive intent". EVEN if the gun is still in the construction stage and can not fire. If you have part "A" that goes with part "B" but are not even in the same place.....ATF can prove constructive intent. Just like the State Patrol has a catch all ticket called "going too fast for the conditions". If they can prove constructive intent, then we truly have mind police.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I live in Puyallup and I will keep a heads up hear. I hope everything works out for you.

I have made this post in full disclosure and 100% honesty and stand on that marrit. I have council and am well affiliated with LEO's in this county and neighboring. It maybe out of bad taste to some but I have reported this firearm stolen exactly as in have listed it here because I felt it important. Thanks for your support and keeping your heads on a swivel.

Being honest is not always enough, unfortunately. For some things you simply *must* follow the letter of the law, however tedious it might be. I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like you didn't follow the "letter of the law", however innocent the mistake may have been. Just like if you want to SBR a rifle, you must file the paperwork and get approval *before* you do the work. Even possessing the parts can be "constructive intent" and get you in trouble.

Wow, honest? Sorry, RDR, but the government isn't in the "reasonable" business. It's in the push someone's agenda business and the garnering revenue business. Best of luck to you!

An ancient Chinese proverb says: " It is better to beard the tiger in his den than to approach an official."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top