JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Stevens 94F 12ga single shot shotgun. Says on the barrel it takes a 3" shell. Are all 3 " shotgun shells considered a 'magnum"? I was given 4 boxes of new 3" 12ga magnum shells and was hoping that my Stevens can use them. I don't want to mess anything up. The gun is in very good condition. My step father gave it to me many years ago. I've only been using 2 3/4" shells so far.

You should be able to shoot the 3 inch shells if your shotgun is marked for 3 inch shells.
With that said....
Most single shot shotguns are light...and the recoil of a 3 inch shell can be stout from them.
If it were my gun....I'd stick with the 2 3/4 inch shells.
Andy

I have a Stevens 94F 12ga single shot shotgun. Says on the barrel it takes a 3" shell. Are all 3 " shotgun shells considered a 'magnum"? I was given 4 boxes of new 3" 12ga magnum shells and was hoping that my Stevens can use them. I don't want to mess anything up. The gun is in very good condition. My step father gave it to me many years ago. I've only been using 2 3/4" shells so far.
Having a 3" length chamber and it being able to shoot high pressure loads are two different things.

Likely it would be completely fine.

Though the persons shoulder that shoots it may not.

Having a 3" length chamber and it being able to shoot high pressure loads are two different things.

I had to chuckle reading your response.

I cut the barrel down to 18". Thinking of cutting off the butt stock to leave a pistol grip. I'll be using it for self defense mostly. Have it behind my truck seat or near me at night. Thanks to both of you for your time.

2 3/4" and 3" 12 ga shells, have a max SAAMI pressure of 11,500 psi whether they are called "magnum" or not. The 3 1/2" 12 ga shell has a 14,000 psi max. In shot shells the magnum designation tends to refer to increased shot charge not increased pressure, but the marketing department has more to do with what a shell is called than any actual standardization.

And yeah, it will beat the hell out of you.

2 3/4" and 3" 12 ga shells, have a max SAAMI pressure of 11,500 psi whether they are called "magnum" or not. The 3 1/2" 12 ga shell has a 14,000 psi max. In shot shells the magnum designation tends to refer to increased shot charge not increased pressure, but the marketing department has more to do with what a shell is called than any actual standardization.

And yeah, it will beat the hell out of you.
Good info. I rarely see information on pressures for shot shell. I agree with the pain factor. I had a single shot back when that weighed 3 pounds. It would wallop pretty hard.

91628D5A-A72E-415C-B6BF-23087D52BC66.jpeg

Good info. I rarely see information on pressures for shot shell. I agree with the pain factor. I had a single shot back when that weighed 3 pounds. It would wallop pretty hard.

View attachment 702025

View attachment 702025
I understand. For self defense it'll work the way I want. With one shot I want it to count. I've shot many high powered rifles. No problem. I'm an old Army Vet. Thanks for the feedback.

Ooops, two Quotes. I'll figure out this system sooner or later. :eek:)

Good recoil pad is the cure for hard kicking singles.
You can use a good ol' Pachmayr or go all "high tech" with one of those Limbsaver's.
Whatever works for you. It'll add a little to the LoP...something to think about when it comes time to install it.
Still, you'll really be able to enjoy your gun at that point, regardless of how strong the load is.

Stevens 94 is a good gun. Classic American single. My brother is closing in on 70 and the only shotgun he still owns is the 16 ga. Stevens 94C he got as a teenager.

Dean

Dean, you've talked me in to a butt pad of some kind, something with good cushion something like the Limbsaver. I'm going to use 3" ammo, so I guess a little comfort never hurt anyone. As I said above, I'm only going to use the shotgun for in-house defense, and maybe take it with me in my pickup from time to time. Thanks to all for your comments.

You're welcome.
FWIW, I went hi-tech and put a slip on Limbsaver on my H&R.
The stock was a little short (not the kids version) so it barely sat on my shoulder when I took a shot, thus even target loads would beat the crap out of my shoulder.
The SLIP-ON Limbsaver added about 1.5" to the stock, but in my case, it was just what I needed.
Gun fits great and I can shoot anything through that little gun.
...however, I don't want to colour your judgement, just an example of how I went about things.
Do some research and get what works for you.
Happy shooting. =)

Shotguns_Mine&Bros.jpg

...My H&R with the Limbsaver on top, my brother's Stevens-Savage with an old Pachmayr that has since been replaced with same.

Dean

You should be able to shoot the 3 inch shells if your shotgun is marked for 3 inch shells.
With that said....
Most single shot shotguns are light...and the recoil of a 3 inch shell can be stout from them.
If it were my gun....I'd stick with the 2 3/4 inch shells.
Andy
You know Andy, you may have just hit on something,
Don't build a more powerful load, use the extra length to house more shot.
I wonder if 1/4" = 1/4 oz?
Check it out...take a regular 2 3/4" Duck & Pheasant load and add another 1/4 oz. of shot, but leave the powder charge where its at.
In 12 ga., D&P has a MV of 1330, so pushing the extra shot might slow it to, 1250?...1200?
That's still plenty fast enough for upland and now you're throwing an ounce and a half of shot.
With #6's, that's like 338 or 363 pellets, depending on which pellet count you subscribe to.
...or move up to something bigger. 1 1/2 oz. of #5's is like 255 pellets.
I'm sure its been done to death, but I never looked at it that way until I read your post.
Thanks, that's a cool idea! :s0155:

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews