JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking at steel targets because I find them more entertaining when you take people out and for my purpose of shooting, I find then useful for hit confirmation.

My only issue is theyre kind of spendy.

The second part of this is I want to learn how to weld, and my father in law knows how. So I figured it might be a good first step at welding. I guess I should say id be building the stands, then cutting out the target portion into the desired shape. That's not what the question should be about. Just building stands for them.

I dont know much about the materials though. What kinds of steel would i need, and what's kinds of places would i buy the metal at?
I figure it might be a hair cheaper than buying them online. Or am I wrong? I wouldn't have to buy a welder or any equipment, just supplies.

Honestly target stands and things of that nature are remarkably cheap considering. I don't know what stand you are looking at specifically but many are sold for little more than what it would cost to buy the material at retail

I've been looking into some of the more "full size" silhouette targets that come with the stand. I havent looked at prices in a while. I remember them being a few hundred bucks.
Id like to have targets at torso level, or at least close.

I just figured that instead of just buying. I could learn a usable skill while making something. Eventually, I want to be able to weld on my jeep, and this seemed like a a good way to start learning.

I would totally encourage you to get into metal fabrication and welding. Its a great skill to have and there are countless things that if you have the skill you can undertake. If you are looking at it as a skill to acquire or even just for fun I would say go for it. That said its a lousy way (investing the time and money) to "save money" building target stands ;)

I honestly wasnt sure if it was economic at all. Usually diy is, but i know metal can be expensive.

Arc welder suffice for something like this? I know I have an older Lincoln at my disposal.

It is more difficult to do a good job as a novice with an arc welder as opposed to a mig welder but if its what you have I would use it. It will most definitely do the job.

I started with these
U.S. Ballistics Steel Target 3/8 AR500 Gong 8 - MPN: AR500-ROUND-8

And mad some stands like this for $21 each

9A567C73-7378-4561-913C-447BB01471AB.jpeg

These work for hand guns and are only $8 each

879E9B05-ED4A-4F68-BCBB-8A7FB665DD5A.jpeg

These look like what your were meantioning

U.S. Ballistics Steel 3/8 AR500 Gong 33% IPSC - MPN: AR500-SIL-10X6

I also suggest you pick up a couple of milk crates for transporting the steel

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Orbis-40-lb-Capacity-Dairy-Crate-Black-DA1000-Black/40892240

Last Edited:
I've been looking at steel targets because I find them more entertaining when you take people out and for my purpose of shooting, I find then useful for hit confirmation.

The second part of this is I want to learn how to weld, and my father in law knows how. So I figured it might be a good first step at welding. I guess I should say id be building the stands, then cutting out the target portion into the desired shape. That's not what the question should be about. Just building stands for them.

I dont know much about the materials though. What kinds of steel would i need, and what's kinds of places would i buy the metal at?
I figure it might be a hair cheaper than buying them online. Or am I wrong? I wouldn't have to buy a welder or any equipment, just supplies.

If it helps, I have some 4" and 8" steel in both circles and squares to clear out at cost and have found a resource to get much larger plates of AR500 3/8" if you want to set something a long way out. They come with a nice white powder coat! Hang with 1/4" braided cable and you are good to go.

Jeremy

You think using bolts would work instead? That way I could disassemble it for transporting. My cherokee doesnt have enough space to store multiple all put together. Ill (hopefully) have a good basket/rack that would work beautifully as long as they could come apart.

Bolts would work just fine, there are tons of plans out there. Several people use PVC pipe as well. If had to disassemble for transport I'd probably go that route and just bring some spare parts with me. Steel targets are one of the best investments for fun shooting. Also pick up several cans of cheap white spray paint

This one is the best in the business, IMO.
No welding, chains, bolts, 2x4's, fire hose or rebar !
Just an ultra-clean, smart design that uses inexpensive 1" EMT (electrical conduit).
It breaks down into individual components for easy transport.
Designed by an engineer from NoCal (Price, Design and Engineering)

His website is down presently but here is a video that shows exactly what I bought from him...

Last Edited:
OP, there are some things to consider with steel targets. Heat is the enemy for steel targets so how the steel is cut and whether or not it's been welded can affect the durability of the steel. Alternatively, putting a bolt in the face of the target can impact the direction of the spalling. And a target that is angled downward and/or one that has some give to it, can increase the safety factor.

I'm not sure there's a clear cut, "one way is better than the other." It's more like there are pros and cons to each cutting/design decision and you should think carefully about them. The point is that it's a bit more involved than just buying some ballistic steal and going crazy with cutting and welding.

As for steel targets themselves, once you have some you will never go back to shooting paper and wonder why you waited so long. Good steel targets are a bit of an investment but well worth the cost. And on the bright side they should last you a REALLY long time if you buy good ones. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top