JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a steel gong supported by chains to a cross bar, held by a triangulated wooden frame on either end. Both the wooden frames are fully covered with bits of metal jacket fragments. The majority of the projectile will touch down right below the gong. 20' is quite a distance though, I would assume that there would be minimal damage at that distance, but the bullet WILL travel that far.
If this is your back yard, enclose your target. It's the right thing to do. Contain your lead.

Depends on what you're shooting I guess.
This guy had all his bases covered and look what happened to him.

That is some scary chit there, luckily it appeared to hit the ground in front of him before impacting his noggin!. If I were him I would have bought a new pair of shorts and a lottery ticket on the way home because luck was very much on his side that day:).

I had a pvc holder I built to hold paper targets. Hung some target steel from the top to shoot pistol at. It was probably at a 10-15 degree angle with the top being closer to me.

It didn't take long before every piece of pvc had fragments embedded in it. Much more down then sideways but there were definitely fragments going every direction.

A tentative plan. Handgun only.
Top 2" pipe approx 20ft pole-to-pole.
Targets will be hung with 1/2" belt material.
18" wide belt will also be hung top-to-bottom on sides.

Send gratuities direct for sharing my design :D

Target_Layout.jpg

Last Edited:
20 to 30' and you'll likely see or feel fragments once in awhile. Just this weekend, one of the guys in our squad got hit in the lip with a fragment from one of my 9mm rounds. That would have been from at least 20 feet from the target and standing behind me. I've seen others get hit too. Blood gets drawn once in awhile, but not usually. If you get it in the face, you know you got stung by something. ALWAYS wear eye protection!

Just thought about this. There is quite a few cowboy action shooters up in Clallam county.they shoot a a local ,private range. They require everyone to use eyes and ears even if just watching
I was behind the shooters about 10-15 feet. The targets are at least 20 feet in front of them
Now this is all lead projectiles that they shoot and I got hit by a tiny piece but big enough to feel it on my face
The pistol targets are some what stationary not hanging,FWIW

Targets will be hung top forward, bottom back, on straps.

The whole steel thing is new to me. I'll test the layout and see how, where, and what to revise for the better sake of safety. It will be as safe as I can make it without getting real carried away.
I, my family, and maybe a few friends at times will be the only people to use it.
One shooter at the line.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads