JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for guidance of the safety minded.

My AR500 targets are here and ready.
My plan is to hang the targets angled. Slightly angled on chains or straps, top-forward, bottom back,
The targets will never be moved, as they are on my property.
The targets will be for handgun only, at a distance +/- 25yds.
There is an out-building 20ft left. And 150ft to the right, right another structure.
I have a concern about side fragmentation when the target is hit.

Given the height of the targets, I'm considering rows of automobile tires, in stacks, 2ft. higher than the targets, on both sides.

Question> Will the rows of tires be enough to stop side deflection?

Last Edited:
Are you shooting in a very narrow area? If not, side splash should not be an issue.

Some considerations:
Gongs suspended from chains or hinges absorb so much energy from the bullet that very little is left to project shrapnel very far. If suspended, the movement of the gong helps deflect some of the shrapnel downward.

Sillouettes and targets supported by a base seem to absorb as much or more energy as gongs. There doesn't seem to be much of an upward dispersion of shrapnel.

Before you expend a lot of effort piling tires, brace some cardboard on each side of your targets and see what hits it. Then you can decide what to do.

If you do use tires, make sure that they don't hold water, which creates a breeding ground for mosquitos. Your range will be a much happier place without the little buggers! :D

Are you shooting in a very narrow area? If not, side splash should not be an issue.

Before you expend a lot of effort piling tires, brace some cardboard on each side of your targets and see what hits it. Then you can decide what to do.

The width of the area and side spray is my concern. I've an out building real close (20ft.) on one side, and the other side a building about 150ft away.
Your suggestion of cardboard, great advice! I don't "want" a bunch of tires around here if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your input :)

Some considerations:
Gongs suspended from chains or hinges absorb so much energy from the bullet that very little is left to project shrapnel very far. If suspended, the movement of the gong helps deflect some of the shrapnel downward.
Sillouettes and targets supported by a base seem to absorb as much or more energy as gongs. There doesn't seem to be much of an upward dispersion of shrapnel.
If you do use tires, make sure that they don't hold water, which creates a breeding ground for mosquitos. Your range will be a much happier place without the little buggers! :D

You know for fun, I would take that cardboard and tap some balloons on it it will give you instant feed back and be kind fun. Good way to test .
BTW, I take it you have a good back stop ? Mountain or something ?

The width of the area and side spray is my concern. I've an out building real close (20ft.) on one side, and the other side a building about 150ft away.
Your suggestion of cardboard, great advice! I don't "want" a bunch of tires around here if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your input :)

You're welcome!

If you find that there is enough side splash to worry about, consider hanging pieces of old conveyer belt in the critical spots. It will absorb a lot of impact, and won't hold water, like tires would. ;)

You know for fun, I would take that cardboard and tap some balloons on it it will give you instant feed back and be kind fun. Good way to test .
BTW, I take it you have a good back stop ? Mountain or something ?
Another good "instant" report suggestion.
Dirt mound as a back drop ;)

You're welcome!

If you find that there is enough side splash to worry about, consider hanging pieces of old conveyer belt in the critical spots. It will absorb a lot of impact, and won't hold water, like tires would. ;)
We are of like mind. Conveyor belt. I was thinking the same!
Question was, will it suffice?

Again, thanks!

I've read many comments concerning how steel targets should be mounted. I'm inexperienced to comment knowingly, but hanging loosely, and angled down makes more sense to me than any other way, if I had only my own judgment.

Depends on what you're shooting I guess.
This guy had all his bases covered and look what happened to him.

I'm inclined to believe it was some of that hard rock they were shooting not the actual bullet that came back at them
What about making a nice rail road tie box around 3 sides of the targets? I like the earthen berm best but if you ever decide to move the operation ties would be easier

The sound of whatever it was, whistled in like a mortar. Whatever it was, was reaction from ricochet. A spent casing perhaps. Who knows.

Looking for guidance of the safety minded.

My AR500 targets are here and ready.
My plan is to hang the targets angled. Slightly angled on chains or straps, top-forward, bottom back,
The targets will never be moved, as they are on my property.
The targets will be for handgun only, at a distance +/- 25yds.
There is an out-building 20ft left. And 150ft to the right, right another structure.
I have a concern about side fragmentation when the target is hit.

Given the height of the targets, I'm considering rows of automobile tires, in stacks, 2ft. higher than the targets, on both sides.

Question> Will the rows of tires be enough to stop side deflection?
Tires need to be recycled just remember what you are trying to accomplish. Stopping fragments. Tires are tough stick with dirt!!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews