Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

steel spinner target?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by finch6013, Feb 5, 2009.

1. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

What is your favorite steel spinner target? I am looking for one for .22's, and possibly small caliber hand gun in the future. I need one that has good sized plates so that it will be fun for my wife to shoot at. She doesn't have fun if she is missing and she's not the best shot. Most of the bimart ones I have looked at have very small targets. What would you recommend? or Have you built your own? If anyone is making a good quality one at home I might be willing to buy one depending on price.

2. Ryan

Ryan Beaverton Or Member

I have one of these:

With my 10/22 i can hit it no problem at 100yards. its a little tougher with my Mk III with open sites at 25 yards though. Prolly what you saw at bi-mart. ~$30.

3. finch6013

Yes that is what I seen. I like those for myself, But my wife has a hard time hitting a clay pigeon set up on a gravel pile from 20 yards so she wont be very good at hitting them. I am trying to get her into shooting more but she doesn't have enough interest in it to go if she cant do well. So that doesn't leave much time for her to get better before she wants to go home or not go at all.

4. PeakResources

PeakResources Portland (past) Colorado (now) Member

I have a couple of the ballistic polymer ones from http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/ . I got some smaller ones and some bigger ones. They work pretty well, even with larger caliber rifles for longer ranges. Their price is a bit higher though.

5. finch6013

I am looking for steel at the moment. I was told that there was a guy in beavercreek OR that makes them but no ammount of research has led me to him

6. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

finch, if you find the guy in beavercreek let me know! I'm in need of some spinners. I'd rather support a local.

7. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

If you have a particular design that you would want,draw it up,i could probably fab something up in a few hours.
    Looking at making my own portable target stands in the near furure.
    RK

8. Ryan

Ryan Beaverton Or Member

Birchwood Casey, makers of the one i posted above, also make one that's for up to .44mag, and is 4 1/4" and 6" across. That may be the ticket for your wife. As a comparison the one above is 2 1/2" across. Not sure where to get them but heres the site:

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

About half way down the page. I dunno if a .22 will spin that big of a target around, but at least she'd be hitting something.

9. finch6013

thanks for the link. Looks like something like that would work. First I am going to look into having someone make me something or making my own at my buddies shop

10. BKMDNO

BKMDNO Oregon New Member

11. NWMoss

NWMoss Lost, permanently... Member

https://www.saluteproducts.com/

STRONGLY recommend their products!!!

These are ARMOR PLATE targets! I've shot green tipped 5.56 Lake City at these and didn't put holes through it! They had a standard steel one too, so I could see that penetrator rounds would go through 3/8" thick standard steel.

SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE1SBQI4u-Q

12. finch6013

those look like really nice targets. A bit out of my price range right now but for anyone looking for an awesome target check out saluteproducts.com. I think I will probably be having by freind that owns a metal fab shop make one for me so it will be cost effective.
    Im all about supporting local businesses. Keep our money in the local community and not overseas or in large chains.

13. NWMoss

Okay. I hope your not shooting anything at 'em besides handgun calibers and .22, unless he's got some AR 500 High-Carbon Steel to make 'em out of.

Post pics when you have them!

14. finch6013

I will post some pics of what I make. Hopefully I will fab something during the week or next weekend. I have to order the metal, and depending on price I might have to wait a while

15. NWMoss

There's a place that sells metal plate off of NE Columbia a few blocks before the golf course. Make sure you have your man-boots on otherwise they'll greet you with a smirk.

16. finch6013

I am thinking 1/4 or 3/8 plate for the target. Again it will be a .22 target. any opinions? I know it all depends on the carbon hardness But in general would 1/4 be enough?

17. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

They have those birchwoodcasey spinners at Sportsman's Warehouse for around $30. The bigger disk is great for handguns and the smaller for .22 rifles. It doesn't spin all the way around but makes a nice sound. Don't shoot it with .223 or 7.62x39 though:).

18. finch6013

A friend had one of those he was done with so I blew it to peices with my ak. Good fun.

19. ZX10Aviator

ZX10Aviator N. Bham Member

I have made my own steel spinners. .22's dont even dent them, .223 will leave divits, .243 divits, 30-06 at 50yards hit an existing divit and went through it. Ive found that the extra hard (hardox) will actually get a hole instead of a divit. So good ol mild steel FTW

20. finch6013

how thick of mild steel would you recommend for .22's