JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In a way I kind of like seeing liberals do stuff like this. I keep hoping they will finally go too far. After all it is the voters who put these people in office and keep them there. Only way that changes is if they manage to piss off enough people who either don't bother to vote, or actually vote for these morons. It's how our current POTUS won and the left's heads are still spinning about that. Let them get to that last straw.

Anyone ever see tha 'art' along the Milwauikie MAX line? Full sized boats made out if 3/16" steel half buried in the dirt and barkdust :rolleyes:

Last time I checked fishing boats, they were kind of expensive.

Anyone ever see tha 'art' along the Milwauikie MAX line? Full sized boats made out if 3/16" steel half buried in the dirt and barkdust :rolleyes:

Last time I checked fishing boats, they were kind of expensive.
The "art" often legislated is often something that raises my blood pressure. Again though it's again the voters who allow this crap. I keep hoping it will finally piss enough people off.

The "art" often legislated is often something that raises my blood pressure. Again though it's again the voters who allow this crap. I keep hoping it will finally piss enough people off.
The thing is from my perspective is these sorts of taxes are similar to bumps in apartment rental fees. If you bump someone $25-$50/month it is generally referred to as an inconvenience increase. Most people will only complain a bit about it, but since the increase is minimal they won't do anything about it.

Short attention span voters are like that...Oh, an art tax to make the city pretty and it's 'only' $30 a year or whatever....let's do this!

All the while not realizing how much tax MultCo adds to each gallon of gas, being charged for the rain running off your property into the sewer system that still overflows raw sewage into the Willamette...etc, etc :rolleyes:

The thing is from my perspective is these sorts of taxes are similar to bumps in apartment rental fees. If you bump someone $25-$50/month it is generally referred to as an inconvenience increase. Most people will only complain a bit about it, but since the increase is minimal they won't do anything about it.

Short attention span voters are like that...Oh, an art tax to make the city pretty and it's 'only' $30 a year or whatever....let's do this!

All the while not realizing how much tax MultCo adds to each gallon of gas, being charged for the rain running off your property into the sewer system that still overflows raw sewage into the Willamette...etc, etc :rolleyes:
Yes part of this is the wonders the public schools have done for us. I lost track of how many people I have known who think raising property tax does not affect them. They tell you they voted for some increase since they rent. I have actually had them stand there and tell me they are voting to stick it to the landlord. When you tell them the landlord will just pass this on to them they get that deer in the headlights look. I have NEVER forgotten how fun it was with one daughter. Was very liberal until she went to work full time. She had been working fast food. 15 hours a week per law. When she turned 18 I got her a good manufacturing job. Paid about twice Min. She "thought" she would be getting a sweet check. She got that first full check and about had a melt down. Came to me with the stub asking WTF, I've been robbed. I just smiled and said now you are helping all those people who will not work. You said you were all for that. :D:D

Is this piece of rusty art at the East end of the Hawthorne Bridge worth $700.000.00 tax dollars.
Do you feel uplifted when driving by, or, that you've been cheated out of your hard earn tax dollars.
Here is an explanation of this fine piece by the artists who designed it.
Annie Han & Daniel Mahaylo

"We wanted to sketch in three dimensions a form that was neither from the past nor the future but a glimpse of the possibility—of the past and the future."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRlhqhX0umsmbuEuRSo1l8Rkg7AiwG3aHU8imMWkoQBx2c2hmdJA.jpg

Last Edited:
I like art, some of it not as much as others.

However, despite the benefits of the arts, I am very much a libertarian and I believe it is not the proper role for the government to subsidize the arts.

Beyond that, there is the fact that our tax revenues are limited, and there are more important things to fund than the arts.

If people think the arts (and other non-essential programs) are important, then they are free to fund them voluntarily by private means, instead of taking taxes by force to fund their favorite "sacred cow" non-essential program.

ODOT is hurting for funds due to severe cutbacks in federal funding, and we need roads/bridges/etc. and maintenance more than we need "art". Without roads (and by "roads" I mean properly maintained roads), the state and national economy will suffer and all the art in the world won't help getting goods and services to those who need it.

Like I needed another reason to leave Oregon. I currently have 6 cars and 2 motorcycles (not sure if they would have been included) with only 1 not being currently registered and used. The sheer arrogance to even suggest this sort of tax speaks volumes about the level of disconnect and contempt our ruling class has for their subjects. Seriously, Oregon, F you!

They are just fumbling along trying to find some way to fund their costs without cutting the things they don't want to cut, but need to cut.

They have already threatened essential services (law enforcement, etc.) but they didn't get the response they used to in the past by scaring people into approving new tax revenue.

Eventually they will either find some "bad" thing they can tax (like guns or "junk food" or something like that) which resonates with enough people opposed to it to pass, that also has enough revenue to fund what they want to keep - or they will compromise.

Being arrogant politicians, compromise is the last thing they want to do.

Last Edited:
I like art, some of it not as much as others.

However, despite the benefits of the arts, I am very much a libertarian and I believe it is not the proper role for the government to subsidize the arts.

Beyond that, there is the fact that our tax revenues are limited, and there are more important things to fund than the arts.

If people think the arts (and other non-essential programs) are important, then they are free to fund them voluntarily by private means, instead of taking taxes by force to fund their favorite "sacred cow" non-essential program.

ODOT is hurting for funds due to severe cutbacks in federal funding, and we need roads/bridges/etc. and maintenance more than we need "art". Without roads (and by "roads" I mean properly maintained roads), the state and national economy will suffer and all the art in the world won't help getting goods and services to those who need it.

Oh I don't know, if it weren't MY money and there was a pretty much unlimited supple other people's money? I could do all kinds of things! That's the problem, everywhere I'm thinking. The viaduct is SE PDX, just South of the above art, is really fancy. Seems to me they could build something like that without the art, and add it later when funds became available?

Just dreaming I know, of common sense in local government.

Is this piece of rusty art at the East end of the Hawthorne Bridge worth $700.000.00 tax dollars.
Do you feel uplifted when driving by, or, that you've been cheated out of your hard earn tax dollars.
Here is an explanation of this fine piece by the artists who designed it.
Annie Han & Daniel Mahaylo

"We wanted to sketch in three dimensions a form that was neither from the past nor the future but a glimpse of the possibility—of the past and the future."

View attachment 342272

$700k for that rusty POS? I'll bet some "arty-farty" a-holes are running around with $699k in their pockets!! o_O:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top