JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have never paid any taxes on a transferred gun delivered to an FFL.. only the transfer fee

<broken link removed>

In an interstate transfer of firearms the Washington gun dealer is required to collect retail sales tax from the Washington resident on the purchase price of the firearm. The retail sales tax is collected from the Washington customer at the time the customer takes possession of the firearm. Sales tax is collected on the total selling price, including freight and/or delivery charges and other amounts added, such a an amount for insurance coverage.

If you loan it to your dad and according to the law it's okay, then it's pretty much a no brainer. For crying out loud it's your DAD, "loan" it to him and if anything happens to it or (God forbid) him, then you can do what is right. It's a loophole use it while you can!!

There isn't going to be ant transaction at all. He's going to borrow it to go shooting and protect his house. I'm not getting ANYTHING out of it! I do not intend to give or sell it to him, just loan it to him. It will still be mine.

<broken link removed>

In an interstate transfer of firearms the Washington gun dealer is required to collect retail sales tax from the Washington resident on the purchase price of the firearm. The retail sales tax is collected from the Washington customer at the time the customer takes possession of the firearm. Sales tax is collected on the total selling price, including freight and/or delivery charges and other amounts added, such a an amount for insurance coverage.

I've never paid sales tax on anything purchased from somebody in another state and processed through my local FFL. I've only ever paid a $20 transfer fee. I'm picking up a rifle on Friday that I bought off gunbroker, and the sales slip that they filled out already already says $20, with no other fees listed. I guess I'll see when I get there.

<broken link removed>

As I understand it the FFL is not selling me anything and therefore has no obligation to collect taxes. The FFL is merely transferring an item in a manner very similar to UPS. The FFL has no idea what if anything I paid, therefore has no basis to even compute it. If payment was made for the item it was to the individual or distributor who sent it

It's really no different than buying a non FFL item over the internet

There isn't going to be ant transaction at all. He's going to borrow it to go shooting and protect his house. I'm not getting ANYTHING out of it! I do not intend to give or sell it to him, just loan it to him. It will still be mine.

Believe what you want. Although your chances of getting into trouble over this transaction - and a loan is a type of transaction - are infinitesimal, you've received some very good advice in this thread that you've chosen to discount.

As I understand it the FFL is not selling me anything and therefore has no obligation to collect taxes. The FFL is merely transferring an item in a manner very similar to UPS. The FFL has no idea what if anything I paid, therefore has no basis to even compute it. If payment was made for the item it was to the individual or distributor who sent it

It's really no different than buying a non FFL item over the internet

is not "selling" you anything, he is collecting the USE tax on the weapon, which you owe no matter where it's purchased. They also are required to charge sales tax on the shipping.

If the Internet seller has a nexus in WA they ARE required to collect sales/use tax on the goods, including shipping. Some years of running our own WA based business gives me some knowledge of the laws.

Look it up yourself, here's the link again: <broken link removed> .

You might not agree with the law, but it IS the law.

didn't you guys know that in 1968 Washington became part of Canada
and Oregon became part of Mexico

So much for the United States of America

And both states are being californicated............
Legislation to make liberalism a crime should be put in the agenda. It should mandate they all go to California, then the state severed an pushed over to Malaisa.

And both states are being californicated............
Legislation to make liberalism a crime should be put in the agenda.

AMENDMENT I Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech or, ...of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

This also applies to liberals.

Your comment is just as misinformed as the anti-2nd Amendment tripe that some folks spew and, in my mind, has absolutely no place on a forum where the members respect freedom and the Constitution. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edit: Well, maybe not ashamed... You were only trying to tell a joke....

I already have the gun and don't want to pay somebody to do so BS paperwork for giving my own dad a gun as a gift. Can I "loan" my own dad a gun for him to go shooting with? Maybe a "long term loan". My dad has a few of my guns at his house, they moved from oregon to wa with him, but they are mine... Just another way for the idiots that run our country to rob us.

Looks to me as if you gifted those guns to him when he lived in Oregon and maybe you were living with him at the time, not sure, since you don't say.

You may have bought the guns but since there is no registration you can gift them to your parents when living in the same state any time you choose.

AMENDMENT I Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech or, ...of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

This also applies to liberals.

Your comment is just as misinformed as the anti-2nd Amendment tripe that some folks spew and, in my mind, has absolutely no place on a forum where the members respect freedom and the Constitution. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edit: Well, maybe not ashamed... You were only trying to tell a joke....

play nice

is not "selling" you anything, he is collecting the USE tax on the weapon, which you owe no matter where it's purchased. They also are required to charge sales tax on the shipping.

If the Internet seller has a nexus in WA they ARE required to collect sales/use tax on the goods, including shipping. Some years of running our own WA based business gives me some knowledge of the laws.

Look it up yourself, here's the link again: <broken link removed> .

You might not agree with the law, but it IS the law.

If the seller is out of state then there is no state sales tax collected. it's no different than any other out of state purchase

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top