Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

State Lines

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by M.Link, Apr 13, 2010.

1. M.Link

M.Link Guest

I live in OR and my dad lives in WA, can I legally give him a gun as a gift? If no money is involved? Since its family?

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

This is what OFF has to say;

"Any firearm transfer between two states requires that the gun be sent to a licensed dealer in the state where the recipient lives. The recipient must pick it up from the dealer after undergoing a background check. The only exception is when a gun is "willed" to a person in another state."

3. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

So stage your own death and will the gun to your father. :bluelaugh:

4. M.Link

M.Link Guest

What a bunch of BS ridiculous laws. How stupid...

5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Agreed.

6. bcp

bcp SW WA Member

You might be able to work through a dealer in WA to give him a gift certificate.

Bruce

7. M.Link

M.Link Guest

I already have the gun and don't want to pay somebody to do so BS paperwork for giving my own dad a gun as a gift. Can I "loan" my own dad a gun for him to go shooting with? Maybe a "long term loan". My dad has a few of my guns at his house, they moved from oregon to wa with him, but they are mine... Just another way for the idiots that run our country to rob us.

8. bcp

bcp SW WA Member

Loan it to him to use when you are not there.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law

9. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

you do a transfer according to the law the FFL in WA is REQUIRED to charge sales/use tax on the value of the gun, the shipping and the FFL transfer fee.

10. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

You can pay a little bit now to an FFL for the piece of mind of knowing that you won't pay a lot later to a criminal defense attorney. ;)

11. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Nice a loop hole! :thumbup:

12. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Its going on long term loan! And I know its not the ffls fault on the charges, its the governments!

13. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

I would imagine since you have put your intensions in print its not such a gray area
    ever wonder who's watching us..

just my thoughts

14. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could not sale handguns across state lines, but you could sale long guns from oregon to washington and vice versa. Or is that just for purchases of long guns from a FFL? I thought it included private party as well.

15. bcp

bcp SW WA Member

You can not transfer ownership of a gun from/to another non-licensed person if either of you are out of your state of residence. Not even if you are both from the same state, like two WA residents at an OR gun show.

Bruce

16. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

didn't you guys know that in 1968 Washington became part of Canada
    and Oregon became part of Mexico

So much for the United States of America

17. phathom

Good to know. I take it, it was just from a FFL about the out of state handgun vs longgun difference.

18. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

if it were not for the internet (information super highway) most of you guys would be criminals

19. phathom

:funnypoint:
    This is so true. Sad, but true. Without google for gun laws, how many people would have just got on the nickleads and picked up a gun from someone across the river? Probably a lot of people who didn't know better.

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I have never paid any taxes on a transferred gun delivered to an FFL.. only the transfer fee