JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry for the silly title, amigos, it is from an old Revco song. Now that the little people in this household have stopped interrupting me with the noise and paper airplanes, I can perhaps ruminate on the latest project.

On that point, a NIB, stainless steel, .44 Magnum, Winchester 92-based, 10+1 capacity, lever-gun* is on it's way here. Assuming it works out, it will be a good working companion on this land, but more so on the coming southward work. I'm getting older, so I can already feel the aches, though since I am a wacky guy, I actually look forward to the adventure. But I digress.

All that aside, my plan is to:

• Give it a thorough cleaning and lubrication.
  • Coat the wood stock with a good wax.
  • Install sling swivels and put a quality leather sling on said.
  • Have my beloved delicately wrap the lever in paracord, as she has done on other lever-guns in the past.
  • Shoot it a bunch to make sure it runs fine.
  • Maybe have a gunsmith slick it up. Not sure on this one and open to thoughts.
Thoughts? Over thinking it? Just enjoy? Something else?

Be that as it may, have a good weekend, my friends.

* This little fellow:
SOYigfc.jpg

You like the handy pistol caliber carbines I notice. I do too.

Just to feed the sickness. Some day you should look at a Ruger Deerfield .44 magnum?
Not the earlier Ruger .44 carbine of which there are a couple different incarnations. [Internal changes]

I'm talking about the last one with its rotating bolt. And detachable 4 shot rotary magazine. Think Heavy duty M1 carbine. With a bit more intimidating bore at the end of it's barrel. ;)

In the future I will continue my bad advice. Please don't tell the wife from where these Ideas arrive.
Wait. What am I saying? Your wife probably thinks this is a great Idea. :D

The seed has been planted.

Last Edited:
I'd love to see before and after the paracord wrap too!

Will do. Female sidekick has been too busy to do so yet.

Thanks much. Though I've found this one pretty slick out of the box.

You like the handy pistol caliber carbines I notice. I do too.

Just to feed the sickness. Some day you should look at a Ruger Deerfield .44 magnum?
Not the earlier Ruger .44 carbine of which there are a couple different incarnations. [Internal changes]

I'm talking about the last one with its rotating bolt. And detachable 4 shot rotary magazine. Think Heavy duty M1 carbine. With a bit more intimidating bore at the end of it's barrel. ;)

In the future I will continue my bad advice. Please don't tell the wife from where these Ideas arrive.
Wait. What am I saying? Your wife probably thinks this is a great Idea. :D

Indeed, I have been very tempted by the Deerfield 4/5-shooter. And in fact looked over a few before acquiring the lever-gun. And, the wife generally feeds my firearms antics, so no worries there.

Today I traveled up the hill (I can't bring myself to call it a "mountain", though technically it is) to do a bunch of logging. Whilst heading up, I shot another magazine-tube on the home range. Man, I am digging this new carbine. Though the disturbing thought that the 10 shots would be half my monthly ration of cartridges if the mental patients in Salem get their way.

wood1.jpg

I have an identical but blued in the safe and I've had the same in .357 as well. Slick action if you take a little time to finish the machining.

Hey Country Gent, congrats on the new 92. Glad to know you got a nice one in terms of the wood and the smooth action. I plan to soon buy a similar Rossi lever gun (stainless steel, 20" barrel), though I have not decided on whether it will be a 357 or 44 mag version. How are you finding the recoil with your 44?

Oh in terms of your original post question, I think part of the fun of something like a fairly inexpensive carbine like the Rossi is being able to modify it to suit one's needs and fancies. When I get mine I intend to do all that you listed, although I will be doing the action work myself (I did so with a Rossi 92 357 with 16" barrel several years ago and it was fascinating and gratifying and not very difficult to do).

I'm curious: why did you choose 44 magnum rather than one of the other calibers the 92 is offered in?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews