JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK NWFA!

Here goes: Stainless barrels. Tell me all that you know.

I am building an AR pistol and want to build in .223 wylde.

Stainless barrels pros vs. cons? Chrome line chromoly?

Ballistics references 10.5 inch barrels?

Thanks in advance!

Barrel material is one of those things that people gnash their teeth about the most, but matters the least IMO.

SS might have a LITTLE bit more inherent accuracy assuming you buy a top name barrel, and CL MIGHT have a little more longevity, but in a 10.5, you're not trying to shoot for group size I would guess, so buy what you want, shoot it out (if you're so lucky), replace, repeat.

^^^ This ^^^

Beyond accuracy and loss of a tiny bit of longevity, ease of care made the difference for me. I wipe mine down with a rag to remove any moisture, then with a silicon impregnated cloth. Barrel is most easy to clean, I run a brush from the breech end a few times and call it good.

Barrel material is one of those things that people gnash their teeth about the most, but matters the least IMO.

SS might have a LITTLE bit more inherent accuracy assuming you buy a top name barrel, and CL MIGHT have a little more longevity, but in a 10.5, you're not trying to shoot for group size I would guess, so buy what you want, shoot it out (if you're so lucky), replace, repeat.

Now that's an answer worth hearing!

Thanks!

^^^ This ^^^

Beyond accuracy and loss of a tiny bit of longevity, ease of care made the difference for me. I wipe mine down with a rag to remove any moisture, then with a silicon impregnated cloth. Barrel is most easy to clean, I run a brush from the breech end a few times and call it good.

So you have a SS barrel, yes?

Not only does SS have more accuracy potential, it maintains a consistent level of accuracy through-out the life of the barrel while CL accuracy degrades more over it's serviceable lifespan but will take longer to wear out. Bottom line SS for SPR/target type weapons, CL for everything else. SS is wasted on a pistol. Melonite, the jury is still out in my book.

100_1402.JPG

I like stainless steel cause it's stainless steel. we live in the pacific northwest. Some of us live on the wetter side of the mountains...stainless tends to resist rusting better around moisture than other materials and some of us get lazy with cleaning and oiling the rifles after each outing.

Stainless tends to be more forgiving of abuse ;)

Chrome lined barrels are one of those "warm and fuzzies" they used to teach in grade school. Unless shooting FA or leaving your weapon under water for an extended period of time (neither are realistic) they don't add any value and can actually cause accuracy to be affected.

for ARs i have 1 stainless barrel, 2 4150 barrels and 2 4150 nitrided qpq barrels that have 5R rifling. cannot tell a huge difference in them except the nitrided ones are easier to clean and are a little more accurate IMO.

Chrome lined barrels are one of those "warm and fuzzies" they used to teach in grade school. Unless shooting FA or leaving your weapon under water for an extended period of time (neither are realistic) they don't add any value and can actually cause accuracy to be affected.
With all the guns we lose in boating accidents chrome lining might be helpful. :rolleyes:

With all the guns we lose in boating accidents chrome lining might be helpful. :rolleyes:

Chrome lined barrels were all the rage when AR's were first "commercialized". Colt, Bushmaster and Olympic were the only flavors available, and lots of us (including me) drank the chrome lined kool-aid. Some of us know better now.

416R stainless

Can't go wrong. I opt for that steel on any rifle I buy and it's available.

Chrome lined barrels were all the rage when AR's were first "commercialized". Colt, Bushmaster and Olympic were the only flavors available, and lots of us (including me) drank the chrome lined kool-aid. Some of us know better now.
But then we can't lose those in boating accidents in a lake now can we? :rolleyes:

If you want to build on a Wylde chamber, you will find that most of your options will be stainless and 8 twist.
I don't see a problem with that.
Grab one and get on with the build.

:)

Last Edited:
I think the pros and cons have been pretty well outlined in the Faxon links. I personally would go with stainless...simply because I think they look cool. And if I get a little better accuracy with a little less longevity, I'm fine with it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top