JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think this pistol will be my first purchase. Do any owners of the XD(M) 9mm have recommendations for specific ammo for self defense and home defence? I was considering the Federal HST 147gr JHP after some reviews.

I'm also wondering if anyone has recommended websites for bulk ammo, where if they say it is in stock then it is typically in stock and they ship in a reasonable time (ie., Amazon-like experience).

Peter

in my opinion it's more about shot placement versus which brand of bullet. having said that i prefer gold dots or winchester ranger ammo. btw i had an XD and it's a good choice.

I saw an XDM 40 blow-up about a year ago,
Owner was trying to save money & was shooting reloads. The chamber loaded indicator blew off the gun
& landed in his forehead, but it didn't scar him up too bad. Springfield charged him to repair the gun & then he
sold it, but I think everything would've been OK if not for the reloads. Might wanna stay away from the
Winchester White Box ammo as well, I have seen some trouble with it too.

in my opinion it's more about shot placement versus which brand of bullet. having said that i prefer gold dots or winchester ranger ammo. btw i had an XD and it's a good choice.

Like the gold dots, the ranger, and the federal offerings. I currently am using gold dots in my XDM 9mm compact.

I have an XD9 that this is what I use mostly: Sellier & Bellot 9mm at Cabela's for $9.97 a 50 round box. Buy $150 worth and get $20 off the order. Free ship to store if you live close enough to make the drive worth while. Cabela's does ship fast. Aimsurplus.com and CopesDistributing.net are good to go too.

I have also had zero problems shooting the factory reloads the Miwall guy sells at gun shows so I'd recommend that as well.

As for HD, I bought a box of Hornaday Zombie ammo, but mostly for the box. I doubt I'll actually use it for HD. I don't keep any of my pistol mags loaded. For HD, I'm going with my AR.

SG Ammo has good price on bulk ammo. I use Winchester PDX1 for my SD round in my XDM 9MM. There's nothing wrong with reloads. To be honest my reloads are more accurate than any factory rounds I'v used, and it's cheaper.

Whatever ammo you decide to use for self defense, make sure you shoot that ammo at least 100 round for any feeding issue. It doesn't matter how good ammo is, if it doesn't feed well.

My reloads have never caused any issues either. When I compared my reloads to factory ammo mine are far more accurate, and much cheaper to shoot about 100 bucks per thousand.

Glocks blow up all the time lol I put all kinds of ammo through my XDs and XDM . I carry Hornaday critical defense in all my handguns.

Hmm, thats weird. Neither of my glock .40s have ever blown up and all I shoot are reloads.

My reloads have never caused any issues either. When I compared my reloads to factory ammo mine are far more accurate, and much cheaper to shoot about 100 bucks per thousand.

Well said, same here

My reloads are softer shooting, more accurate, and more consistent than any factory ammo I have ever shot, and I can reload 180gr .40 for around $7 a box. I put maybe a few thousand rounds thru the G22 and maybe close to 1000 thru the G23. Never once had an issue with my sh!t blowing up. I guess it depends on how smart you are and how well you can read a reloading manual.

+1 for the reloads.

My reloads are good to go, but the cheap 9mm I bought at the last gun show was stovepipe city. Hey, at least I got to practice clearing malfunctions........... a bunch.

Shoot what you like and can afford. Enjoy the heck out of it.

I have an XD 40 Sub and XDm 9 comact 3.8. Both chomp everything without issue and have never given me an iota of an issue. I carry either NEVR worrying about any sort of FTF

The XDM is accurate with everything that goes through it. The 40 with the 3" barel likes hotter stuff. Ive shot a bubblegum TON of reloads through the 40 Not ever an issue. Springfield has excelent CS, if they charged him... IF ITS TRUE, id bet negligence... Not reloads.

I wasn't trying to disparage reloading, just the cheap ammo this guy bought at the gun show
I like Fiocchi ammo they have a better line of ammo loaded with the Hornady XTP bullets, very nice shooting

I will agree with you. You have to be careful In who you buy your reloads from. I would not recommended buying 2nds or blems from the gun show either... too much at risk there.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads