Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Springfield SAR-3/8. Add flash hider?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Feb 1, 2015.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

image.jpg So I have had this rifle a long time. It is one of the "over stamped" SAR-3 rifles made in Greece. It is a beautifully built rifle. If you had the bolt out of this next to a Real HK it would hard or impossible to tell which is which. Compared to the later HK clones and imports this is a jewel. I never really realized how short the barrel is on this thing. I assume it was imported during or prior to the AWB with the standard HK style cage and then cut to be sold. The bolt face to the end of the barrel is like 16 1/32". The width of a fingernail over. I'd like to have a comp/flash hider on it but there does not seem to be an easy answer for that. The end of the barrel only measures .56, quite a bit smaller than the normal 5/8 thread for a .30 cal unit. I really am not sure how the barrels come out of these but yanking it for threading does not seem like its a easy task.

Any ideas?

oli700 likes this.
  2. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Maybe you could open up or bush down a longer style flash suppressor. Then mount it with a horizontal pin?
    You know? The way they mount the AR gas black.

In any case. It's a nice gun.

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Medic! likes this.
  4. IronMonster

? The SAR-3 was a licensed HK manufacture on HK machines supervised by HK engineers. As far as a HK clone goes I think its pretty good.

I do understand the HK was a CETME design

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  5. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Your SAR-3 looks more HK than CETME.
    Didn't the CETME have different rear sights?

6. IronMonster

It is a HK design, It is not a CETME clone.

I was just making a comment about which came first. Most folks assume that CETME was a HK knock off, It was actually the other way around. The Germans did it better, But they didn't do it first :)

mjbskwim likes this.
  7. Medic!

Germans did a fine job. Some PTR's are good guns too. Though not as nice as the SAR-3's

I enjoy my HK. But sold the PTR.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    IronMonster likes this.
  8. IronMonster

Did you shoot the PTR much? How do they compare to the read deal?

9. Medic!

I hear they are hit and miss. My PTR ran great despite two less flutes in the chamber. I shot that PTR maybe 400 rounds. It even liked the tar sealed SA ammo. Soft trunions and the welds between the receiver and trunion tearing loose were reported.

The devil is in the details! And putting these guns together right is a precise task.

I found myself babying the PTR and shooting my HK. When I bought the PTR to save wear and tear on my HK!

It had to go!

10. IronMonster

Yeah, I had a real HK 91 back in the early 90's. I wish I would have held on to it. I really see the SAR-3 as a pretty good second choice though.

If I wasn't scared of someone botching the job I might just have a new HK pattern barrel put in this guy and mount a factory muzzle device. But I dont think it would take too much to make me really unhappy :)

I have had a hard time remembering for sure but I am about 80% sure I bought this new. Would have been in the early 90's

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nice rifle! Looks......businesslike!

U201491 likes this.
  12. drewp

drewp 503pdx Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If this helps...I had a gas piston 762x39mm barrel from tnw...the threading was smaller than 5/8...so there has to be an option like 9/16" or something metric thats smaller than the standard 30cal 5/8" threading