JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I trained with the M14 when in the service. I LOVE the M14. I bought my first M1A over 40 years ago shortly after I got out of the service. At the time, the (commercial) Springfield Armory was the only game in town for a civilian M14. Back then they were all GI parts except for the receiver. I can't speak to the current production but from a design standpoint, I consider the M14 the peak of its genre. I like the FAL too but it's no M14. I suspect even a current M1A is a pretty decent rifle but IF you can find one with all or mostly GI parts, so much the better.

The days when battle rifles were 10 pounds are just about over it seems...
As are the days when battle rifles were chambered for full power cartridges like .30-06 or 8mm Mauser. Some cause and effect there. Also, sitting behind a full power rifle that's not kinda heavy for 60-80 rounds, especially if a lot of it's prone would be brutal for some GI of lighter frame. Weight is not ALL bad.

As are the days when battle rifles were chambered for full power cartridges like .30-06 or 8mm Mauser. Some cause and effect there. Also, sitting behind a full power rifle that's not kinda heavy for 60-80 rounds, especially if a lot of it's prone would be brutal for some GI of lighter frame. Weight is not ALL bad.
The irony is some battle rifles have been brougt back in the middle east, though mostly in the DMR role.

That being said, the 7.62 NATO that was typically used by the various militaries were the same as the .30-06 ammo that was being used for the M1 Garand.

The irony is some battle rifles have been brougt back in the middle east, though mostly in the DMR role.

0bama left quite a few of them behind...
168133.jpg

0bama left quite a few of them behind...
View attachment 424212
Seems they use whatever they can over there. A number of the old battle rifles are making a comeback, some for DMRs or just as a battle rifle. Some countries still use the G3 and FAL as well. The M14 has a few users as well.
65196e1376ae_sf_8.jpg

To be honest, I used to like the M14 with the sage EBR chassis until I picked one up. I don't know if its just me or what, but it felt too front heavy. Maybe one of the other chassis with a different stock would be different, but I prefer the wood stocks anyways.

To be honest, I used to like the M14 with the sage EBR chassis until I picked one up. I don't know if its just me or what, but it felt too front heavy. Maybe one of the other chassis with a different stock would be different, but I prefer the wood stocks anyways.

The SAGE is nose heavy, look at the Blackfeather "RS" if you want
a lighter chassis stock for the M14 / M1A that also balances better.
Just 9lbs

Yeah, I almost wrote '06, 8mm and 7.62 NATO.
Gotcha. To be honest, if it wasn't for the U.S being stubborn (we really wanted a full power round), NATO probably would have ended up using .280 British, and the FAL would never have been redesigned to shoot 7.62 NATO. Probably wouldn't have had the M14 either, which meant no AR.

Funny how things work out.

Gotcha. To be honest, if it wasn't for the U.S being stubborn (we really wanted a full power round), NATO probably would have ended up using .280 British, and the FAL would never have been redesigned to shoot 7.62 NATO. Probably wouldn't have had the M14 either, which meant no AR.

Funny how things work out.
Or, going back further, we could have had M1s in .276 Pedersen if not for MacArthur's decision to redesign it in .30-06. While the .276 Pedersen is arguably a better military cartridge, in light of ensuing events that decision probably saved our bacon. Millions of rounds of WW1 ammo inventory plus existing rifles and MGs in '06 could be supplied along with new arms without the logistics mess of a new cartridge on top of a world war.

Or, going back further, we could have had M1s in .276 Pedersen if not for MacArthur's decision to redesign it in .30-06. While the .276 Pedersen is arguably a better military cartridge, in light of ensuing events that decision probably saved our bacon. Millions of rounds of WW1 ammo inventory plus existing rifles and MGs in '06 could be supplied along with new arms without the logistics mess of a new cartridge on top of a world war.
True. We missed out on a lot on the .276 Pederson and the .280 British.

But it is what it is. I still enjoy the FAL in 7.62 NATO.

The older M1As that were built with mostly USGI parts are great, but you start to run into problems once they ran out of USGI parts. If it must be an M1A, I suggest you shop for an older one that left the factory with a bunch of USGI parts. I have read good things about JRA/Bula Defense rifles & parts, but I have never seen / shot one in person.

My favorite M14 type rifles are built on Poly Tech M14 receivers with USGI & SEI parts, but mine were built when LRB & SEI receivers were nowhere to be found.

View attachment 423569
This exactly I owned 3 late 1980's spring fields M1As built with GI parts. They were totally reliable and the one with the TRW bolt,Trigger group and sak barrel would out shoot every M1a match rifle i came up against. I sold them all at great profits in the middle 1990s and regret the protfits still. Buua quality one $$$ if you are serious, if not buy a POS Springfield M!A made with junk parts and enjoy.

OP asked about Springfield Armory M1A. If you buy a contemporary edition, it could go either way. The cast receiver in and of itself isn't bad, metallurgy has improved since the time when similar forged receivers were the only way to go. It's not the material, it's the work done on the material. Fact, you probably won't shoot your M1A enough to wear out a receiver regardless of material.

I own three SAI M1A's, have owned a fourth. Of these four, three had some problem or other with the receiver. And it had nothing to due with metallurgy but with machining. If the ape lining it up can't get it right, it won't turn out right. The one I sold, that receiver had to be replaced by SAI. Another one had a small problem that was repairable. The third bad one has a small defect that doesn't affect function, only I know it's there. One out of the four was perfect.

You can buy more expensive fake M14's, maybe they do better out of the box. I was talking to a guy recently and he had a JRA receiver he was going to use for a build. Couldn't get the barrel threads to time right, turns out the threads in the receiver aren't made right. LRB is supposed to be good, Bula Defense supposedly are the best, $600 for a bare receiver. Fulton Armory sells a service version complete rifle for $2,700.

Why do I have three M1A's? No good reason. I trained on this design in the US Army, it's kinda comforting to have them around. It's the only weapon that I can claim to have been professionally trained to use. The M16 that came along after, it was just handed out, no instructions. Some people want to have 1950's Tonka Trucks from their childhood, I like guns. Oh, and you can't shoot a Tonka Truck.

I have several M1A's
A loaded model that I've had over 20 years
A base model I had converted to a "Bush rifle" by SEI
A SOCOM II that PSA had for a price I couldn't pass up a couple years back and I just picked up a 6.5CM M1A last week that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.
The Bush rifle is my favorite with multiple thousands of rounds through it and no issues
My first "Loaded" model has a couple thousand through it with 1 trip back to SA Turned out to be an ammo issue. I had some really old Norma surplus ammo that was just filthy. I sent a box back with the rifle because I couldn't go 20 rounds without a case getting stuck and needing to be hammered out of the chamber. It kinda spoiled the class I was taking. Anyway, SA called me and said it was the dirtiest ammo they'd ever seen and asked if I had any more. They gave me 500 rounds of LC .308 for my 200+ rounds of crap ammo.
Tossed in a new magazine too when they sent it back. That was my only run in with Springfield Armory 20 years ago.
The loaded M1A has been a laser for me, but I enjoy shooting the Bush rifle more.
The SOCOM II is quite handy and fun to shoot but only has a couple hundred rounds through it, but no issues as of yet.
So...I like and recommend Springfield M1A's

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads