JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting a Springfield M1A and wanted to get everyone's opinion on their build quality, accuracy, and durability.

I have heard some people mention that Springfield makes their M1A rifles with cast receivers instead of forged receivers and that this makes them worse. Does the difference between cast and forged receivers make any practical difference in durability over thousands of rounds? Are Springfield M1A's well made?

Additionally from any forum members who own them; has your Springfield M1A proven to be reliable over higher round count or have you run into any issues? Any feedback based on first hand experience is greatly appreciated!

I own a Springfield M1A and have shot it for the last 25 years. It is all GI except for the cast receiver. No problems since purchase and I mostly use my own handloads. This is one of my favorite rifles to shoot in the vintage rifle matches at Tri-County Gun Club. I Really like this rifle. I also own and shoot an M1 Garand that I obtained from the CMP and like the M1A just as much. The M1A in .308 uses less powder for reloads and is easier to shoot with the detachable box magazine.

I have heard some people mention that Springfield makes their M1A rifles with cast receivers instead of forged receivers and that this makes them worse. Does the difference between cast and forged receivers make any practical difference in durability over thousands of rounds? Are Springfield M1A's well made?
Functionally, there is no difference between cast and forged. I don't necessarily consider M1As good, now anyways. Not when there's a better option just a few hundred more (maybe less than that even). Decent though.

I own a Springfield M1A and have shot it for the last 25 years. It is all GI except for the cast receiver. No problems since purchase and I mostly use my own handloads. This is one of my favorite rifles to shoot in the vintage rifle matches at Tri-County Gun Club. I Really like this rifle. I also own and shoot an M1 Garand that I obtained from the CMP and like the M1A just as much. The M1A in .308 uses less powder for reloads and is easier to shoot with the detachable box magazine.
25 years ago they used surplus parts. Not anymore. Forget the date when they started to run out and used new parts.

Seems like there is a mixed response on this. My initial impressions are that the action is reliable and the rifles are accurate. Why wouldn't you consider the M1A a good rifle?

There are better options available is why. I don't consider them to be bad, just not good. You can get a JRA M14 (M1A is a name specifically for Springfield's version of the M14) built on a Bula forged receiver for a little more and have something with better overall quality.

But again, that isn't to say that the M1A is bad. Just that there are better options. Its a matter of how much you want to spend on the rifle alone.

I was happy with the Springer M1A I owned for @ 30 years. Shortly after getting it, the extractor blew out... Springfield made it good and put in what appeared to be a new TRW bolt. Never another issue and I ran a few cases of various surp 7.62X51 thru it. It was accurate enuff that I got an original "flaming bomb" scope mount and rings for it... no issues with these either. I have sold it even tho for all these years it was "my rifle"... getting too old to lug it around. Not that I'm ".308-less"... by any means. Just more likely to be packing my Colt m4gery.
This I would recommend... good rifles, a good company to deal with, and they back their products. Wouldnt trade my own experiences with the M1A for anything. There are of course other companies in the market, so shop around.. YMMV! ;)

I see the Fulton Armory makes M14 but there is a wait time since they have to to make the M14. They are expensive compared to the SA M1A as well.

Fulton Armory

Drool. Seeing things like that is what makes me feel a real need to have one. Unfortunately well over what I can spend on a gun of any flavor.

Drool. Seeing things like that is what makes me feel a real need to have one. Unfortunately well over what I can spend on a gun of any flavor.

Yeah too expensive for me as well unless I win the Lottery. But the JRA M14 looks good since that full military grade configuration.

Bobo, The JRA/Bula Defense looks like a quality rifle with a forged receiver and it is only $200 more than the Springfield M1A. Definitely worth looking into, and I appreciate the advice. The JRA/Bula Defense rifles do seem to be very well made and a great value.

I also saw the BM59 rifles currently up for sale as well; they look great, I have only heard great things about them as well, but the lack of parts commonality with the M1A/M14 is the only real concern for those.

Last Edited:
The older M1As that were built with mostly USGI parts are great, but you start to run into problems once they ran out of USGI parts. If it must be an M1A, I suggest you shop for an older one that left the factory with a bunch of USGI parts. I have read good things about JRA/Bula Defense rifles & parts, but I have never seen / shot one in person.

My favorite M14 type rifles are built on Poly Tech M14 receivers with USGI & SEI parts, but mine were built when LRB & SEI receivers were nowhere to be found.

IMG_5334.JPG

25 years ago they used surplus parts. Not anymore. Forget the date when they started to run out and used new parts.

Mine is pre-Y2K and has a surplus gas piston on it. I remember it being recalled just as soon as I registered it though, they did some repolishing on the bolt (IIRC).

I like shooting it. Its a 'tank', if it goes empty, you can always beat someone with it.

Bobo, The JRA/Bula Defense looks like a quality rifle with a forged receiver and it is only $200 more than the Springfield M1A. Definitely worth looking into, and I appreciate the advice. The JRA/Bula Defense rifles do seem to be very well made and a great value.

I also saw the BM59 rifles currently up for sale as well; they look great, I have only heard great things about them as well, but the lack of parts commonality with the M1A/M14 is the only real concern for those.
I have seen their BM58 in person. Too bad I never got to shoot it. IMO, aside from collection I'd just stick to a M14.
Mine is pre-Y2K and has a surplus gas piston on it. I remember it being recalled just as soon as I registered it though, they did some repolishing on the bolt (IIRC).

I like shooting it. Its a 'tank', if it goes empty, you can always beat someone with it.
Really any of the old battle rifles were "tanks" like that. Things changed though. Oh well, seems muzzle striking is a thing now.

Really any of the old battle rifles were "tanks" like that. Things changed though. Oh well, seems muzzle striking is a thing now.

I have a number of old rifles. This 1903 my grandfather is holding while his way to the Great War went to my uncle's side of the family and disappeared. Wish I could have got it, I would have like the providence it would have.

I have a number of old rifles. This 1903 my grandfather is holding while his way to the Great War went to my uncle's side of the family and disappeared. Wish I could have got it, I would have like the providence it would have.

The only old rifle I have is my Yugo Mauser... The FAL just has old surplus parts. :oops:

The days when battle rifles were 10 pounds are just about over it seems...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top