JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can adjust the gas all you like. There's not enough pressure produced by a subsonic 308 to cycle the action no matter how much you open up your adjustable gas block. It would take more than just that. I can't even imagine a port large enough to produce the pressure it takes to move the Bolt Carrier and Buffer given how little gunpowder you have to use to keep the projectile moving at less than 1125 FPS. Why do you think there's a round such as 300BLK?
I've seen the world my friend. I won't go into my distant past... but I research, develop, run tech support and build AR15's and AR10's for a living full time for the last 6 years. I know that's not very long but I've been collecting, buying, selling, building and working with firearms for the last 40 years. I've forgotten more about hundreds of types of firearms than most will ever know.
Not saying I know more than you. But I do know something...

Well huh. That, as they say, is that. :D

To be fair, maybe OS meant that with a 'standard' (whatever that is) buffer spring/etc. and bolt/etc. in an AR10, opening the gas port alone would not be enough to have subsonic cycle the action. I am not sure that even that would be correct either.

Personally, I was thinking more of the FN-FAL, but my point was (and is) that I try to never say 'never' and I refrain from using other absolute terms like 'always' or infer absolutes about anything technical. I use weasel words because as soon as I state something as absolute, someone comes along and proves me wrong - and the more I know, the more I know that I don't know everything.

It just seemed incongruous that there isn't a semi-auto rifle in the world that can't, with the adjustment of its gas system, fire subsonic 7.62x51 ammo and have it cycle the action.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top