JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That projectile is a monster! I wonder what the grain weight is?

Edit: Found it. 420 and 440 grain. Nice!

Last Edited:
So what can this do that a 500 grain .458 Socom can't do?
Have you shot a 458 SOCOM? They're pretty abusive. The 416 Spike shoots soft. Softer than a .308. The 446gr. projectile penetrated 12" into a Water-Oak Log. But only from 25yds. Still... pretty hard hitting. It's also a straight case round for those who can only hunt with those. The supersonic rounds are 180gr. and have around 2250 FPS Muzzle velocity.

Actually, it does do supersonic. We've tested a 180gr projectile and the velocity is around 2250 FPS. I know. I developed it.
That's around what 458 SOCOM will do with a 250gr projectile.
Have you shot a 458 SOCOM? They're pretty abusive. The 416 Spike shoots soft. Softer than a .308. The 446gr. projectile penetrated 12" into a Water-Oak Log. But only from 25yds. Still... pretty hard hitting. It's also a straight case round for those who can only hunt with those. The supersonic rounds are 180gr. and have around 2250 FPS Muzzle velocity.
I have and I agree that it isn't the most pleasant to shoot but it really isn't that bad considering the weight savings of AR15 over AR10. As for straight cased rounds I'm pretty sure the 50 Beowulf is straight cased and it is more powerful then a 458 SOCOM but It doesn't do subsonic as well that I know of. I know you might not want to hear it but this round doesn't do anything new beyond being in a bigger and heavier platform. If you could push it up to Ruger No1 45-70 power levels it would be different.

That's around what 458 SOCOM will do with a 250gr projectile.

I have and I agree that it isn't the most pleasant to shoot but it really isn't that bad considering the weight savings of AR15 over AR10. As for straight cased rounds I'm pretty sure the 50 Beowulf is straight cased and it is more powerful then a 458 SOCOM but It doesn't do subsonic as well that I know of. I know you might not want to hear it but this round doesn't do anything new beyond being in a bigger and heavier platform. If you could push it up to Ruger No1 45-70 power levels it would be different.
Understood... It's still brand new. Frankly, this is something a few of us here just decided to try, not thinking it would even work. But so far, things have fallen into place so nicely the company has decided to let us keep going. If you could shoot one you might understand. There's literally no blowback, very little recoil, quiet as a pellet gun, functions perfectly in the AR10 Platform with a simple Barrel swap (like 300BLk in the AR15) and hits HARD. One of the things that stands out to me is how clean it remains after firing suppressed.

Oh great. So now I might need to decide between 45 Raptor and 416 Spike. Decisions, decisions........;)
45 Raptor has a lot better supersonic performance. We never intended to compete with that round. We wanted to make something that was mainly intended to be subsonic, using regular 308 brass (cut down) and nothing different in the rifle except the barrel.

Subsonic 308 will not cycle a semi auto. Also has nowhere near the kinetic energy. The beauty of 416 Spike is that the only thing you change on your large platform AR is the barrel and gas tube ( it's pistol-length).
It would cycle my semi-auto with the twist of a knob near the end of the barrel. Some rifles have adjustable gas systems.

Get out and see the world - there are rifles other than the AR and even some ARs have an adjustable gas system.

It would cycle my semi-auto with the twist of a knob near the end of the barrel. Some rifles have adjustable gas systems.

Get out and see the world - there are rifles other than the AR and even some ARs have an adjustable gas system.
You can adjust the gas all you like. There's not enough pressure produced by a subsonic 308 to cycle the action no matter how much you open up your adjustable gas block. It would take more than just that. I can't even imagine a port large enough to produce the pressure it takes to move the Bolt Carrier and Buffer given how little gunpowder you have to use to keep the projectile moving at less than 1125 FPS. Why do you think there's a round such as 300BLK?
I've seen the world my friend. I won't go into my distant past... but I research, develop, run tech support and build AR15's and AR10's for a living full time for the last 6 years. I know that's not very long but I've been collecting, buying, selling, building and working with firearms for the last 40 years. I've forgotten more about hundreds of types of firearms than most will ever know.
Not saying I know more than you. But I do know something...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads