JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shooting through a window when there is no direct threat could be questioned by a liberal prosecutor. What might save the good guy is he had a baby and toddler in the room which would elevate the need to protect.

Shooting through a window when there is no direct threat could be questioned by a liberal prosecutor. What might save the good guy is he had a baby and toddler in the room which would elevate the need to protect.

I agree that without a visable threat such as a firearm it is not justified to use deadly force on a trespasser on the other side of a locked window. The husband told deputies that "He pulled back the curtain and saw the man crouched down with his face inches from the glass. He feared for his life, yelled at the man, then shot at him four times." I am hoping that the husband yelled "Show me your hands" or "No sudden moves".

Either that or the husband pulled back the curtains, saw an ugly face, freaked out and unloaded!

Gremlins-020B.jpg

The fact that Deputies recognized the intruder from an arrest on New Year's Eve and he has a history of burglaries, theft and vehicle prowls, means the homeowner will not be charged. Now good luck with the civil suit.

The fact that Deputies recognized the intruder from an arrest on New Year's Eve and he has a history of burglaries, theft and vehicle prowls, means the homeowner will not be charged. Now good luck with the civil suit.

The one thing wrong with our system, if the person committing the criminal act is shot by a good guy and the DA calls it a clean and justified shoot, there should be zero basis for a civil suit. Especially when your dealing with a career criminal dirtbag the police know by name...

Where's the justice for the intended victim?

Note that his priors are for theft, no mention of any violent crimes. You are right, good luck with the civil suit.

The one thing wrong with our system, if the person committing the criminal act is shot by a good guy and the DA calls it a clean and justified shoot, there should be zero basis for a civil suit. Especially when your dealing with a career criminal dirtbag the police know by name...

Where's the justice for the intended victim?

In WA, once you are determined to have acted in self defense, you are not liable in civil court. Plaintiffs are required to pay all legal fees if suit is brought and the shooting is determined to be in self defense.

In WA, once you are determined to have acted in self defense, you are not liable in civil court. Plaintiffs are required to pay all legal fees if suit is brought and the shooting is determined to be in self defense.

I was not aware of this. I wish OR was the same. It should be this way everywhere. Just ask OJ. :p

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews