JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone else collect Spam Can lids? I'm just starting out, having recently acquired an AK-74M pattern rifle (Arsenal SLR-104 series) and bought a few spam cans of 5.45... I'll shortly be fixing up a gun room in my basement, and think they would look pretty cool on the wall. I assume most people just throw them out; they look pretty crappy if you open them via the top, but if you open them along the side they almost look like soviet license plates.

If anyone is a frequent surplus ammo shooter, I'd gladly pay for the shipping & handling if you could carefully liberate the lid from your next can of fun.

I kind of went a little stupid during the ammo crisis and bought 6 cans of 7.62x54r. Most all was purchased from the same lot so I think all my lids are identical (haven't opened two of the two can crates) and if they are would be happy to dremel one open for yah from the sides. My only personal debate is if I want to open another can as of yet, this ammo has nearly tripled in price. Even with three Mosin's and a SVT40 I can't seem to shoot enough of the ammo.

When I saw the title of your post I thought you were talking about real "Spam" cans so I was going to share my recipe for a great spam breakfast - 2 slices of spam and some melted cheese on a toasted english muffin, but since you are referring to ammo cans I won't. I can send you a few actual spam can lids though if you want them.

When I saw the title of your post I thought you were talking about real "Spam" cans so I was going to share my recipe for a great spam breakfast - 2 slices of spam and some melted cheese on a toasted english muffin, but since you are referring to ammo cans I won't. I can send you a few actual spam can lids though if you want them.

MMmm Spam...

I wouldn't bother opening any cans unless you need to, no point in breaking the seal just for me. But, if you've got some open ones or lids that would be cool. I like to open spam cans from the side since it keeps the lid intact, but as long as they're in good condition I would be interested.

I wouldn't bother opening any cans unless you need to, no point in breaking the seal just for me. But, if you've got some open ones or lids that would be cool. I like to open spam cans from the side since it keeps the lid intact, but as long as they're in good condition I would be interested.

Haven't had the need to open any yet, but can you use one of those regular kitchen can openers that cut open the the top/side of food can lids on ammo spam cans? ...Those kitchen can openers that let you re-use the can top on the opened can for putting it back in the fridge?

Or do you have to dremel it off or some such...

A regular can opener won't work, the rim is a lot higher/thicker than standard food cans. I tried using my Leatherman on one once, I now have a broken Leatherman can opener to show for it. The original spam can opener is probably the best tool for the job, they're typically shipped one per case of two cans though they often get separated. You can also use a chisel and hammer if you're careful, though a Dremel or a multimaster-type tool where you can control the cutting depth is probably the best. I've tried the angle grinder method, where you grind down the rim until the crimped sections separate, but it's slooooow going.

Ok, since I'm fairly new to the AK game... Why does there not seem to be many 7.62x39 spam cans floating around? All I've seen so far are the new commercial ones; Wolf, Tula, Red Army Standard, etc. Was it banned like 5.45? I know it's a more popular caliber, but I'm surprised at how many surplus spam cans there are in other calibers; 7.62x54R especially, 5.45x39, and even 8mm Mauser, Tokarev and Nagant. They must have produced the stuff by the billions of rounds, in order to have that much floating around on the free market a continent away. I can only imagine how much is still overseas.

Ok, since I'm fairly new to the AK game... Why does there not seem to be many 7.62x39 spam cans floating around? All I've seen so far are the new commercial ones; Wolf, Tula, Red Army Standard, etc. Was it banned like 5.45? I know it's a more popular caliber, but I'm surprised at how many surplus spam cans there are in other calibers; 7.62x54R especially, 5.45x39, and even 8mm Mauser, Tokarev and Nagant. They must have produced the stuff by the billions of rounds, in order to have that much floating around on the free market a continent away. I can only imagine how much is still overseas.

I think it has more to do with price. The spam can packed ex-Govt Issue corrosive ammo (price per round) typically sells for more (if not equal to) vs. the new production non-corrosive boxed 7.62 x39 mm. And YES.....I have also seen new mfn spam cans with non-corrosive 7.62 x39 mm ammo in it. But, it's still costs more (in the can) and shipping costs more too.

So, unless you plan on storing it for a Zombie Apocalypse....well, I'd go for the cheaper boxed stuff.

Here is my only spam can of 7.62 x 39 mm. The rest is in regular boxes.
CommieAmmospamcans013.jpg
Probably not even ex-Govt Issued.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I thought that I had an old 7.62 x 54R lid for you. But, when I went and looked for it....well, sorry, It probably went into the garbage awhile back.

Last Edited:
With a UN placard number on there, I'd say that commercial is most likely, though it could be surplus from a former Warsaw Pact country.

I would still expect to see a can on GunBroker every now and then... Maybe it's just too popular a caliber and got shot up, or is all sitting in a basement? Some of the surplus stuff seems to be going for less than the new non-corrosive Russian steel cased stuff, if you're a careful shopper, especially 7.62x54R. 5.45x39 can be had in surplus cheaper than new production, and it's been banned from importation for what, 3 years now?

NODEraser,

I found these items. You want them? You come to Vancouver, WA and pick them up. I'll just keep the ammo and stripper clips. PM me if you do. I'll wait until June 18th for a response to this offer. Yes.....it's FREE.

I don't believe that the bottom matches the top lid. Anyway....
GEDC1062.jpg

GEDC1063.jpg

This storage crate was used to hold two cans of Russian 7.62 x 54r, Made in 1947 at Factory 188 (Klimov/Novosibirsk). They were packed with 300 rounds to the can. So, 600 rounds to the crate.
GEDC1058.jpg

I opened this ammo can today. Ammo was boxed. Three strippers to the box. Each stripper contained five rounds of ammo. The strippers were Made at Izhevsk.
GEDC1061.jpg

This other ammo can is still full. If you want to bring your own tools, you could cut a back entry hole and remove the ammo for me. That way, you could preserve the can.
GEDC1059.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews