Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Spacer for barrel possible?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by songmeesay, Apr 4, 2014.

1. songmeesay

songmeesay Portland Active Member

Apologies in advance for what may be a stupid question but I ordered a 7.5" barrel and when it arrived today the total length was actually 7.5 making it actually a hair under a 7" barrel from bolt face to tip of thread. With the muzzle device I plan to use it it was supposed to come out at about 10.28" but it's coming out to 9.5", which is the exact length of the rail I plan to use. My question is, how feasible is it to use a spacer (or maybe even multiple crush washers?) so that the total length extends to 10"? I have about 6 full rotations with the muzzle device in the below picture

20140404_185832.jpg

20140404_185717.jpg

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Pretty easy to make a small spacer to fit right in there. Parkerize it black and it will look like it belongs there..

Do you have acess to a lathe?

3. songmeesay

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  4. Velzey

Let me know how long it is what diameter and I will make one for you!

5. songmeesay

Looks to be about .450" at 1/2x28... I believe the standard threaded length is .630" or something like that.... will my muzzle device be ok with only the little room it has to be torqued on after the spacer is installed?

Edit: Actually nevermind! I contacted the manufacturer of the muzzle device and they'll do a custom extended one for me. Thanks for your help and generosity Velzey.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  6. Velzey

Great!!! But If it doesn't work out it will only take me less than 10 min to turn one out on my lathe.