JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently took my rifle to a gunsmith to get the gas port drilled out to a larger size and after I checked the gas port I noticed drill marks on the opposite side of the inner barrel. Like he drilled through and touched the inside barrel opposite side. The marking does not seem deep.

Any opinions on possibility of effecting accuracy or velocity or any other things?

Good grief ! That's basic Gunsmithing 101! Set a stop or insert a brass rod.

Your barrel is screwed now! That spot is going to collect bits of copper and ughhh who did this?

Was is a local shop that says they have a smith but it's actually a guy with a cordless drill in the back room?

Wow!

What kinda barrel ?

Get a financial settlement, I wouldn't trust their gunsmith to fix it. Also it may have been an accident drilling too far but it was no accident they didn't tell you about the damage IMO!:mad:

Idiot should have set the stop on his mill. May or may not have trashed your barrell only way you will know is to shoot it.

I'm planning on shooting this rifle on Friday. I don't know if I should hold off on shooting til he responds or go shooting without waiting for his reply.

Good grief ! That's basic Gunsmithing 101! Set a stop or insert a brass rod.

Your barrel is screwed now! That spot is going to collect bits of copper and ughhh who did this?

Was is a local shop that says they have a smith but it's actually a guy with a cordless drill in the back room?

Wow!

What kinda barrel ?

I really don't want to put this gunsmith on blast right now before waiting for his reply. If he indeed does reply with a willingness to replace the barrel then there would be no need to go further, but if his response is anything negative then that would be his choice and there will be reactions to his choice.

The barrel is an Odin Works .223 Wylde 3 Gun profile Intermid gas system.

Ain't going to do it much good, that's for sure.

Figured.

Id be for taking it back to him and making him replace your barrel, If not it's sue for damages time!

I am thinking the same thing. I'll be waiting for his response.

Get a financial settlement, I wouldn't trust their gunsmith to fix it. Also it may have been an accident drilling too far but it was no accident they didn't tell you about the damage IMO!:mad:

I agree, accidents due happen, but not telling the customer about the accident is on purpose. Let's hope he makes the right decision.

Ive made mistakes in the past and fessed up to every one of them. I read your thread the other day and saw you were talking about drilling it out yourself or taking it to a smith...but at the time I was still banned..

I am sure the smith will make it right. If he doesn't let me know, I will help you make it right!

Ive made mistakes in the past and fessed up to every one of them. I read your thread the other day and saw you were talking about drilling it out yourself or taking it to a smith...but at the time I was still banned..

I am sure the smith will make it right. If he doesn't let me know, I will help you make it right!

Thanks, but I had no intentions of drilling it out myself. I was looking for a gunsmith in my previous posting.

Man that is a nice barrel to butcher. Out of curiosity what made you think the gas port was too small?

I have my previous posting and went through all the bells and whistles in troubleshooting. Even went back and forth with the manufacturer and both agreed it was a undersized gas port. And they offered to send me a replacement but I opted for a larger gas port from a gunsmith since I will be running different loads with an adjustable gas block. Check my previous post seeking a gunsmith to enlarge a gas port for the whole story.

Exactly how would a couple little scratches opposite the hole that is the gas port effect the accuracy of the rifle more then the gas port? And the accuracy of a barrel is determined by the rifling at the very end of the muzzle less then the last 1". As long as the gas port isn't shaving off pieces of copper from the jacket neither will the scratches on the other side.

I have owned rifles that the bore looked like the inside of a New Jersey dock side bar garbage can that would still kick a pop can all over the place at 100 yards. A couple little scratches or even a divit in the middle of the barrel won't do squat.

IMHO

Exactly how would a couple little scratches opposite the hole that is the gas port effect the accuracy of the rifle more then the gas port? And the accuracy of a barrel is determined by the rifling at the very end of the muzzle less then the last 1". As long as the gas port isn't shaving off pieces of copper from the jacket neither will the scratches on the other side.

I have owned rifles that the bore looked like the inside of a New Jersey dock side bar garbage can that would still kick a pop can all over the place at 100 yards. A couple little scratches or even a divit in the middle of the barrel won't do squat.

IMHO
This is why I took to the forums to ask for opinions. I appreciate the response.

This is why I took to the forums to ask for opinions. I appreciate the response.

Shoot half a dozen 3 rd groups and see how it performs............ If unsure, shoot another half dozen groups or so. I have a hunch it will not be nearly as bad as what you are being told and my guess is if your groups were tight before they will still be.
What would affect you more is if there were a burr left there, so hopefully they lapped that out.
Its why I like EDM :)

Shoot half a dozen 3 rd groups and see how it performs............ If unsure, shoot another half dozen groups or so. I have a hunch it will not be nearly as bad as what you are being told and my guess is if your groups were tight before they will still be.
What would affect you more is if there were a burr left there, so hopefully they lapped that out.
Its why I like EDM :)
I'm taking it out shooting on Friday, is there anyway to know or watch for signs of burrs?

I'm taking it out shooting on Friday, is there anyway to know or watch for signs of burrs?

You can run a loose patch through and see if you can feel it grab, Or the other way is see what your accuracy, or actually consistency (tight groups) is showing .

It will tell you if its crippled or not :)

If you do your part then the rifle will speak to you by the small tight groups or........ crazy flyers for no apparent reason.

Sand bag in and take extreme care to keep your groups small and see if the rifle performs or not. It will tell you.

(SMALL TARGET) Pick a small dot on your target and hold on it.

Hell glue a fly on it and make head shots :) Yeah Seriously......"SMALL TARGET"

That will shrink your groups to their smallest, short of shooting from a machine rest.
My bet is you will get nice tight groups if your part is done right.
Let us know the outcome.

You can run a loose patch through and see if you can feel it grab, Or the other way is see what your accuracy, or actually consistency (tight groups) is showing .

It will tell you if its crippled or not :)

If you do your part then the rifle will speak to you by the small tight groups or........ crazy flyers for no apparent reason.

Sand bag in and take extreme care to keep your groups small and see if the rifle performs or not. It will tell you (SMALL TARGET) Pick a small dot on your target and hold on it.

Hell glue a fly on it and make head shots :) Yeah Seriously......"SMALL TARGET"
That will shrink your groups to their smallest, short of shooting from a machine rest.
My bet is you will get nice tight groups if your part is done right.
Let us know the outcome.
Thanks, appreciate it.

There is a reason when you drill and tap a barrel for sights you don't drill into the rifling!

I'm interested to see how it shoots!

Yes its to make sure the screw doesn't get into the bore. Has nothing to do with the hole itself. All sorts of rifles have gas ports and muzzle breaks with holes it has no effect on the accuracy of the rifle.

Don't get me wrong the gunsmith shouldn't have touched the bore on the opposite side of the gas port. That said I own a Milling machine a Drill press a lathe and I used to make my living doing very intricate work with them and I can tell you sometime no matter how careful you are crap happens.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top