JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a solar charging watch from Casio which syncs up with the atomic clock in Colorado. Bought in October 2005 and I replace the solar battery every 5 years. I bought to small tool set which in includes silicone watch gasket lube to keep the waterproof gasket from cracking when I replace the solar cell.

ii bought the tools and solar cell from this place:

Casio G-shock Replacement Battery And Tool Kit With CTL1616 Or ML2016 Rechargable Solar Cell

I don't recall if I got replacement solar cell at this place or not. I believe I did for my first replacement.

14B71423-7F52-4042-9B3B-E28F06CF8B95.jpeg

The only I bought besides the solar was a replacement watch band since I don't take off that often. It is waterproof so I just leave it on for swimming, and showering.

Last Edited:
When lack of daylight in the winter months I bought a solar charger. It uses a USB adapter or two AAA batteries. It does not light up completely with batteries but does with the USB.

4B79A795-8BDD-4F28-B316-E9885A28D0EC.png

Still needs a battery after a couple years. Wife had a very nice solar watch. Lasted 4 years before the battery needed replacement. Better than a year, like most non solar last I guess. Still not like my automatic that just keeps on going as long as I wear it daily.

I dig the tide graph on that watch. Handy.
Lots of those carousel type watches at Walmart etc. come with 10 year batteries and are waterproof.. and cost $20. Casio brand comes to mind.

I've a four year old Citizens EcoDrive, radio controlled (synced with the, in this case, US Atomic clock)... This is the Blue Angels Edition, taint cheap, but has already outlasted three other watches I killed in less time...

A6CE3D97-7456-440B-AA32-475959EBB735.jpeg

When there is a major seismic event, civil unrest, CME, etc., the cellular network may go offline for many months. Maybe I should downgrade to my old Seiko jewel watch instead. But that watch needs to be cleaned and such and I will have other issues in trying to survive.

I've sure that many of you know the Marathon J-SAR, the watch built for Mr Hulk when he grows up. OK, I happen to LIKE big watches.

Well, folks, it has been in my ownership for almost seven years now, and that battery has been replaced just twice in that time. Here is a pic of the J-SAR battery -

1579021967490.png

I've been wanting to get a solar-powered watch, and have been looking at the Casio Pro Trek line (specifically the Pro Trek PRW2500T Tough Solar Digital Sport Watch). It seems well reviewed, and I like the fact that it has a built in tide graph, since I like to crab.

Anybody here have any experience with the Pro Trek line?

View attachment 649612
I owned a ProTrek with Titanium band and crown. Loved the watch. Had it for about 10-12 years before to stop holding charge. I still have it and been thinking of having it repaired. In the same time I owned the Pro Trek I bought a G-Shock, too, my first solar powered one and it lasted about 10 years too. Still works but needs a new battery I think. Now, I own a G-Shock Aviation series line which is like a Pro Trek but more expensive for some reason. I swear by Casio's Pro Trek and G-shock, after all, G-Shock and I were born the same year! :D You cannot go wrong with this brand. G-Shock are TOUGHer then Pro Trek in my opinion, but then again, I never broke one. Just find the watch that does what you want.

If you are a watch wearing person, becareful as they can be like guns - addictive. I own automatics/ self-winding watches that I often do not wear and they cost much more than the Casios. :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top