JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there,
I have been (as some of you may know) building a batch of solar panels. The build I am doing is based on this website: How I built an electricity producing Solar Panel

I got interested in it because we often experience power outages where I live. My wife and I are also into prepping, so it will also come in handy in a SHTF scenario.

I decided to start small, and as I learn and get better at it, maybe one day go off grid. Researching the subject, I found that going off grid is very expensive. It is one of those all in all at once deals, and generally runs many thousands of dollars right out of the box. So, discussing it with my wife, we decided to start out small, experimenting with the technology as we go, and eventually get a large capable system in place.

So, step one was to build some shallow boxes. I decided to build 4 of them as a batch rather than build one.
Here are some pics of that going together:
SSPX0170.jpg
I basically took a piece of 3/8" plywood, cut them to size (as per the above website specs) and used common lumber parts I got a Lowell's.
SSPX0169.jpg
After I had the shallow boxes all built, I painted them with some good outdoor lifetime paint.
SSPX0172.jpg
I also painted some hole board, that I will be using to mount the solar cells on.
Painted all sides, several coats. For all 4 panels, I used almost one whole gallon.
SSPX0171.jpg
Next I cut the hold board down, into sizes that will fit into the shallow box, as that is where the actual cells and wiring will be mounted.
SSPX0174.jpg
After I made sure that all surfaces were soaked in the paint, I started laying out the solar cells, and soldering them together.
Your going to need a few basic tools for this.
SSPX0182.jpg
Some wire clippers, some GE atv, a meter, Some rosin core solder, a rosin pen, Some solar buss wire, and an adjustable soldering iron.
The process entails, soldering some wires onto the first cell, (the positive side-bottom) to be used for A, testing, B, connecting the panels together and to the main output wiring, that ultimately will for into a charge controller, and to a battery.
SSPX0177.jpg
I test these as I go, so to make sure that they will work, when I get the whole string of them ( 6 cells per string) gets wired up.
So, to make a panel using the parts I used, you will need 36 cells total, 18 per half as I did it. That gives you about 18.8 volts DC.
Here are a few more pics of the cells going together.
SSPX0181.jpg
SSPX0180.jpg
After I soldered all the cells together, then I used the silicone to adhere them to the hole board.
SSPX0183.jpg
So far so good. I have 2 of the 18 cell panels done, and am letting the silicone to cure.
As I do more work. I will post more pics and what not.
I should mention that I am using "tabbed" cells, as they save a ton of work. The seller is:
http://myworld.ebay.com/stellar393/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Cheers,
Greg

Awesome. I just read that guys blog on his solar & wind projects. The way to go if you have the skills, IMO compared to buying commercially made stuff looking at it from a cost perspective. The controller box wiring is where I get scared...I'm no dummy but electrical stuff is def my weak suit.

Awesome. I just read that guys blog on his solar & wind projects. The way to go if you have the skills, IMO compared to buying commercially made stuff looking at it from a cost perspective. The controller box wiring is where I get scared...I'm no dummy but electrical stuff is def my weak suit.
Any charge controller will (or should) work. I too chose not to build one but get one myself:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

What are your plans to encapsluate the cells, I tried to make one last year to see how they'd hold up over winter. I sandwiched my cells between sheets of glass with a silcone based roof sealer this stuff was thick so I thined it out a bit with paint thinner, then used silcone on the outside edges of the glass, I thought it was pretty air tight but this spring I was only getting 5v...many of the cells degraded from too much moisture. here is a good website on solar at the bottom there is a section on DIY pannels(not conneted with the site)

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/index.php

Ken

Last Edited:
Brute force. I really do plan on officially encapsulate the cells, however if I find out I need to (the learning curve), then I will look into it on further builds. The first one is just going to get a sheet of plexi, sealed to the wood as best as I can. Maybe try some weather stripping. I am going to drill and screw the plexi onto the boxes as best as I can. I may go to a weatherized tape to seal the panel, as the cat in the link did. I am also going to drill some vent holes on the bottom of the panel for heat dissipation.

I thought about doing a build like yours but maybe putting in a couple of computer fans to keep air moving around...still thinking about how to keep the cells from degrading too much moisture is not their friend. it was a fun project but if the pannels only last through one winter, well...

Can you share about what your cost is on one of these? I'm thinking this as a possility for emergency power off of 12 volt batteries with an inverter. Been looking at some kits. It'd be nice to be able to keep a couple of deep cycles charged.

The batteries I am planning on using are about 100 doll hairs each. The inverter is about 200. It is a 1K watt pure sign wave type.
I will have about 150 each into each panel, worst case, and 33 bucks for the charge controller, so to get one up and running, I am guessing about 400 ish doll hairs. When I get all 4 panels running just add 150 per panel. the battery(s) I am contemplating is:
<broken link removed>
The inverter is:
Amazon.com: Sunforce 11240 1000-Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Remote Control
I am thinking maybe placing some descant packs into the panel for the moisture problem.

Well... I know it's been a couple of months, Been very busy at work and whatnot, but I thought I would share the new status of my little solar project.

1916voltsYaYphoto.jpg

finishedpanel.jpg

Turns out even here in Oregun, in the dead of winter, this little bad boy puts out the volts. 19.16 to be exact. Plenty to charge up the batteries and run an inverter from.:s0155:
On to the second one. :s0114::s0114::s0114:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack the thread, but theres been a craigslist ad going for a while here in Spokane area... 215 watt panel for $360. Really good deal it seems, I don't know anything about the panels themselves but if they are truly 215 watt and well built might be an opportunity.

<broken link removed>

Just a heads up. Don't know any more than the craigslist ad says.

These cells are the old style. Not the super new 6X6 type that are in stores now. I buy these off ebay, for about 50 cents each. They are very fragile and break really easy, so I have to buy a lot of extras. Not sure how many watts each I will get from these type of panels, hopefully about 70-80 watts each. While they may not be the most efficient type of cell, it has been a very cool project, and hope that it will be a good use of my time and money. As to the cost, I think in parts I may have almost 100 ish dollars into this one, less the labor, maybe a little more. I have enough parts to build another 3 panels.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1KW-Solar-C...=160645514183&ps=63&clkid=5080191933097689184

So you could buy 1Kwatt worth of panels for less than the price of one of the CL panels.

These cells are the old style. Not the super new 6X6 type that are in stores now. I buy these off ebay, for about 50 cents each. They are very fragile and break really easy, so I have to buy a lot of extras. Not sure how many watts each I will get from these type of panels, hopefully about 70-80 watts each. While they may not be the most efficient type of cell, it has been a very cool project, and hope that it will be a good use of my time and money. As to the cost, I think in parts I may have almost 100 ish dollars into this one, less the labor, maybe a little more. I have enough parts to build another 3 panels.

For example: 1KW Solar Cell Full Tabbed 3x6 for DIY Solar Panel 550+ Solar Cells | eBay

So you could buy 1Kwatt worth of panels for less than the price of one of the CL panels.

Just curious at the moment but do you know how much the new ones cost, and what the output comparison would be as well as fragility?

It is all about storing the energy.
I have few small panels but a bank of big batteries.
Fully charged they can run power for tv, radio lights, cb, security system, small refrigerator etc.
But my cabin is on the top of the mountain 3200 feet elevation so sun is up 5 am and down 8pm.
Plenty of time to recharge my battery.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top