JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you ever worry about whether you WON'T wake up when you need to? You a heavy sleeper- snores a lot? I wonder if those who practice the bedside nightstand method might find their weapon pointed at them instead of at their disposal… or if you are in a terrible accident and become incapacitated (vehicle accident, etc) when your carrying and without your ability to control your weapon…. I would hate to think someone comes upon a scene and takes a citizens weapon while their out cold or you wake up at the hospital…. And no gun😭 anyone ever heard of such a thing? Just some scenario's been brewing about that I wanted to throw out there. As I age, I notice my sleeping habits have changed and the fact I'm told I need to be shakin' to wake up makes me wonder if I can be alert enough, even while sleeping. I got cameras and alarms allover but if I'm counting sheep they are useless… Talk to me Goose! 😎

I would hate to think someone comes upon a scene and takes a citizens weapon while their out cold or you wake up at the hospital…
Well, first responders and standers-by after a plane crashers have been known to steal from dead passengers and loot luggage. So, yeah, taking a helpless guy's gun is probably a thing that is done.

the fact I'm told I need to be shakin' to wake up makes me wonder if I can be alert enough, even while sleeping. I got cameras and alarms allover but if I'm counting sheep they are useless…
This is also my situation. Plus, I wear eyeglasses so the first thing I need to do is look for those, and next the gun.

They make quite nice audible alarms for the blind. There are also physical touch alarms made for those with disabilities.

or if you are in a terrible accident and become incapacitated (vehicle accident, etc) when your carrying and without your ability to control your weapon…. I would hate to think someone comes upon a scene and takes a citizens weapon while their out cold or you wake up at the hospital…. And no gun
There's absolutely nothing that can be done about that. If your incapacitated thats a pretty bad wreck, be thankful you wake up in the hospital with or without the gun.

I don't over worry 'bout things like this.

In any event...
I tend to wake up if I hear a "different" or unusual noise at night.
I think most folks get attuned to their surroundings...even if they don't fully recognize doing so.
Pay attention to your surroundings...and what your body / senses are telling you.

That said , something to consider here is....
During times of stress or surprise...the mind can "see" / "hear" what it expects..and not what is actually going on.
Andy

or if you are in a terrible accident and become incapacitated (vehicle accident, etc) when your carrying and without your ability to control your weapon…. I would hate to think someone comes upon a scene and takes a citizens weapon while their out cold or you wake up at the hospital…. And no gun😭 anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Several years ago there was an accident near my home. There was quite a commotion with a couple of police cars and an ambulance responding. When I walked over to see what was going on, it turned out that the driver of the vehicle had experienced a medical incident (as I recall it was hypoglycemic shock, he was a diabetic, one of the officers told me) and he had driven off the road into a ditch. He was unconscious in the vehicle when the police arrived. I heard the officers talking amongst themselves because they had found out on their computer that he was a CHL holder, but they found no firearm after searching him and the vehicle. They concluded that he was not carrying at the time of the incident, but who knows? So, yeah.

I heard the officers talking amongst themselves because they had found out on their computer that he was a CHL holder, but they found no firearm after searching him and the vehicle. They concluded that he was not carrying at the time of the incident, but who knows? So, yeah.
years ago I asked this question somewhere in a gun forum and was told that paramedics are trained to secure guns if found on the person. Im guessing it gets handed to police who then return it to the owner or their immediate family.

As for car wreck? Nothing I can do about that so don't care. For home? Have always been able to wake to something out of the norm yet sleep through a lot of "stuff". Years of working nights. When we only had the first couple kids Wife used to say that gun under my pillow was worthless as I slept through everything. Then one night she touched me and said in my ear "someones in the house". I was out of bed, gun in hand, heading for the back of the house where the kids room was so fast it scared her. After she woke up she realized she had heard someone outside on the street but she had to catch up to me to tell me this. She never again said I could sleep through anything. :D
Now that I am old hearing still amazingly good considering but little dogs are the bomb for this. We have a few that hear EVERYTHING. Even if I am not feeling well and take medicine that might make me groggy those fur alarms will wake me long before someone is in the home.

Living a life style where you are always on defense against people hell bent on killing you tends to make you hyper aware of your surroundings, even when asleep, so I have never had issues with things that go bump in the night, rather actually getting an actual nights sleep worth! I also had to deal with constant noises like jet engines spooling up or taking off in afterburner, or helicopters doing helicopter things at all hours! Being THE Apex Predator has it's advantages in this, living that life has taught me how to be vigilant, even in situations I have no control over! I tell you this to tall you, there are things you CAN control, and things you CANNOT, focus on what you CAN and learn how to make your self safer in your home, there are hundreds of things you can do to make your home very unwelcome to anyone intent to do you harm, step back and have a good look, talk to people who know how to do these things and figure out how to make your self safer when you are NOT in control!

I never sleep. I stay up all night, every night reading….
IMG_1416.jpeg

And I'm always at the ready to deal with burglars….

IMG_1415.jpeg

years ago I asked this question somewhere in a gun forum and was told that paramedics are trained to secure guns if found on the person. Im guessing it gets handed to police who then return it to the owner or their immediate family.
I had a medical emergency once at a grocery store. One of the paramedics freaked out when they pulled up my shirt in the ambulance, the other was totally cool. I handed over the holster and gun together and then the spare mag to the one who was cool. Got it back from Security later when I was discharged.

To the main topic:

Unless you frequent really nasty neighborhoods, I think this is a very low probability scenario. Better to focus, as a wise member stated earlier, on that which you can control. How are your bare-handed skills? Do you practice with a knife and/or OC spray? Depending on where you go often, you may be more likely to be assaulted in a gun free zone than a car wreck. I still go to the Post Office more often than I get incapacitated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top