JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$900
Manufacturer
Smith & Wesson
Caliber
44 Magnum
City
Eagle Creek
State
Oregon
Zip Code
I am selling my S&W model 629 4" 44 mag.
Has Pachmyr grip which feels great. This is the older matte stainless. Much nicer in my opinion. Smooth double action pull as all Smiths have. Has a crisp 3.25 lb. single action pull and flawless cyclinder timing. It has been shot very little. Mostly a safe queen now.
Comes with a leather thumb break holster and a brand new custom Kydex holster.

Buyer pays background and transfer fees.
In Portland area. Estacada to Hillsboro often.

Will try to sell here first then it goes to a nation wide site.
Feel free to ask questions.
Thanks

1000007089.jpg 1000007092.jpg 1000007091.jpg 1000007090.jpg 1000007094.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
That is not a regular 629, at some point it became a "mountain gun" and had that written on the barrel. Post some pictures on the S&W forum and they will give you the straight scoop. you probably have it under priced by a lot too.

That is not a regular 629, at some point it became a "mountain gun" and had that written on the barrel. Post some pictures on the S&W forum and they will give you the straight scoop. you probably have it under priced by a lot too.
Or you could just ask your friendly local Old Broad, who happens to be very into 629s.

There was a year or two that SW produced the Mountain Gun without the name on the barrel. Note the light tapered barrel and round-butt grip frame characteristic of the Mountain Gun. The standard 629 4" has a thicker barrel that is uniform in thickness throughout length of barrel. The Mountain Gun weighs about 38 oz empty, compared with the standard 629 4" at about 41 oz. In addition the standard 629 4" of this era usually/always has a square butt frame, greatly limiting it with respect to what grips it can take and excluding all those best for concealed carry. If this were listed on Gunbroker I'd expect it to sell for 1200 to 1400 if you were established there. If not you would need to go through someone established there with a serious track record most likely, who would take a big cut. But you still might come out seriously ahead. (I've been watching the prices of all 629s on gunbroker off and on for a about three years, including the Mountain Gun.)

It is a 629. You should open the cylinder to find the dash number and include that here.

Last Edited:
Further info from my SW catalog. I think your gun is a 629-2 Mountain Revolver, produced in 1989, one of 5000 produced. It has a round butt and came with Pachmyer grips. My info doesn't say so but I don't think the Mountain Revolver was engraved on the barrel. So without the box you wouldn't know. So I think technically this is a Mountain Revolver, not a Mountain Gun, but they seem to be identical except for name. I've seen them listed at gun broker as Mountain Guns with the explanation that the first ones didn't have name on barrel.

The first Mountain Gun that was called a Mountain Gun was produced in 1993. Also a 629-2. Seems pretty much Identical to Mountain Revolver except in name and in having Hogue grip instead of Pachmyer. My book doesn't say that Mountain Gun was engraved on barrel so it might not have been. But I think it was. SW made more Mountain Guns, some with square grip frames. When they got up to 629-5 the quality and value crashed because of new design designed to make 629s more affordable by not needing or getting hand fitting and finishing. So the 629-5 and later Mountain Guns are worth a couple hundred less than the current new ones, not several hundred more. But you have a 629-4 or earlier, which is obvious from the position of the firing pin on trigger and lack of lock.

Further info from my SW catalog. I think your gun is a 629-2 Mountain Revolver, produced in 1989, one of 5000 produced. It has a round butt and came with Pachmyer grips. My info doesn't say so but I don't think the Mountain Revolver was engraved on the barrel. So without the box you wouldn't know. So I think technically this is a Mountain Revolver, not a Mountain Gun, but they seem to be identical except for name. I've seen them listed at gun broker as Mountain Guns with the explanation that the first ones didn't have name on barrel.

The first Mountain Gun that was called a Mountain Gun was produced in 1993. Also a 629-2. Seems pretty much Identical to Mountain Revolver except in name and in having Hogue grip instead of Pachmyer. My book doesn't say that Mountain Gun was engraved on barrel so it might not have been. But I think it was. SW made more Mountain Guns, some with square grip frames. When they got up to 629-5 the quality and value crashed because of new design designed to make 629s more affordable by not needing or getting hand fitting and finishing. So the 629-5 and later Mountain Guns are worth a couple hundred less than the current new ones, not several hundred more. But you have a 629-4 or earlier, which is obvious from the position of the firing pin on trigger and lack of lock.
Not sure how I missed these comments til now.
It is a 629-2.
Thanks for the info. I should probably keep it.....

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.